Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all!

Bit of advice, or just someone to confirm and ease my mind!

So my overall target weight to loose was 5 and a half stone to get to my target weight. A healthy weight in the middle of my ideal BMI.

8 weeks post op I am roughly half way through reaching this target with a 2 and half stone lost.
however I feel this is slowing down… I still can’t eat much so I’m not eating loads more or anything… I’m trying to keep my Water intake up..

im crap at sticking to exercise plans - But trying to walk and move more in terms of housework etc.

do you think it will continue again? Im having a doubting moment…. 😢☹️
Or do I need to sharpen up and get my self exercised ….

I think I know the answers just probably need someone to tell me as well…

em x

4 hours ago, eholmes89 said:

Hey all!

So my overall target weight to loose was 5 and a half stone to get to my target weight. A healthy weight in the middle of my ideal BMI.

8 weeks post op I am roughly half way through reaching this target with a 2 and half stone lost.
however I feel this is slowing down… I still can’t eat much so I’m not eating loads more or anything… I’m trying to keep my Water intake up..

im crap at sticking to exercise plans - But trying to walk and move more in terms of housework etc.

em x

This of it as a percentage of total weight. If you weight 200 and lose 30 pounds you lost 15% of your body weight. If you now weight 270 and lose 15%, that is 15 pounds. So if you lose at the same RATE, you are going to lose less weight, in this case, 25 pounds. So you lose at the same rate, but it is less pounds. That said, the initial weight is going to come off at a faster rate, so if you drop that rate, it is going to come off more slowly from a lower weight so it seems slower than it really is, if that makes any sense.

14 hours ago, eholmes89 said:

Hey all!

em x

I think it sounds like you are doing great! 🤩

You are already halfway to your goal and you just had your surgery in July!!!🤯😱🥳 From what I read, the average WLS patient loses half their excess weight around the 6 month mark. That is typically when weight loss might start slowing down (but people typically lose for about a year to 18 months post-op) . Just keep doing what your doing. Keep your Water, Protein, & food in check. Start tracking again, if you stopped. Adding exercise in, as you said, sounds like it would be a way to help tone up and maybe help boost the weight loss. Maybe just start with increasing the length or speed of your walks or add weights, at first. We are still pretty close to the surgery, so start things gradually. I am not very good about exercise either. I walk, but I need to start doing more. Let me know if you find anything you like! I like to swim, but it is so much money to join a pool. I am looking into the vibration plates, as they are supposed to help with weightloss, toning, aches & pains, lymphatic system, & cellulite.

Congratulations on your weight loss results. You are doing so well. I'm sure you will keep losing. Don't forget, there will be stalls along the way. 😊

5 hours ago, Trishk01 said:

How much should someone loose 3-6 month ?

Hi Trishk01

i think everyone is different. I consumed myself with worrying if I was loosing weight as quickly as some.. then I realised we are all different. Our body is different, our start weights are different

my surgeon advised me to aim for 50% of my excess weight by month 6. And as long as I was loosing a bit each week (minus any stalls) then I was doing good. Allow your body to do its job - also you don’t want it too quickly or risk issues with gall bladder.

im 12 weeks tomorrow and I’ve lost 43lbs. My total target weight to loose is 70lbs. I’m averaging/seeing about 2-3lbs lost per week now which is a nice steady decrease.

as long as your following plan, diet, Protein and Water - trust the process.

🥰 em

16 hours ago, Trishk01 said:

How much should someone loose 3-6 month ?

I started out far, far heavier than most. My 12 week mark is tomorrow and today I'm at 58 pounds lost since surgery and 79 pounds lost since prep diet in June. And still, there are people out there losing faster than me and I get all upset that I'm not losing as fast as some.

It really can mess with your head.

I'm slowly coming to grips with not being fast "enough" for my start weight. But comparing ourselves is a big problem in my opinion.

JMTaylor, eholmes89, & laurenantics,

It sounds like you are all doing so well! Congratulations on your weight losses.👏 It can be hard to avoid comparing your weight loss with others. We need to remind ourselves that we're all different. I think it also may even out, somewhat (of course there are extremely quickly or slow losers), some lose a lot right away & then may have longer stalls. I think we all just want to get to our goal so badly. We'll get there! 😁🏆

Agree with everyone. I feel like I am a slow loser but we will make it!! We are in this together. I have had two stalls already. I average about 2-3lbs. Sometimes 1 pound a week. I struggle with my Water intake. Don't worry about what others are loosing focus on your end goal and following diet plan. Give yourself Grace. You got this!!

My surgery was July 22. I lost 8 pounds within the first two weeks. I still have only lost 8 pounds.

I'm drinking Protein Shakes. Taking all the Vitamins. I'm eating scrambled eggs --anything else-- I can only take maybe 4 bites. I feel like I am eating 1/8th of what I used to eat and I do not understand why I am not losing.

I started walking and was proud that I was walking 2 miles (On the treadmill.) Dr. said that "walking is not an exercise. That is why we were born with two legs --we are supposed to walk."

Well wishers have questioned --"maybe you're not eating enough." "Maybe you're not getting enough water." "Maybe you're not getting enough protein." "You did not have that much to lose, so maybe it will go slower." "Maybe you're still healing." "Maybe its your thyroid."

I don't understand --my brother in law had a two week bout of pancreatitis and lost 25 pounds --believe me, he wasn't worried about Protein or Water, he just didn't eat much. I am extremely worried that I might be in the 10% who this surgery doesn't work on.

Incidentally, baby sister leaves tonight for Gastric Bypass in Tijuana.

12 minutes ago, Soonlee_W said:

Are you keeping a food journal and logging ALL of your food? It does seem strange that all this time out and your diet is basically Protein Shakes and eggs. Maybe step up your exercise routine for some more aerobic exercise and weights. I've lost 54 lbs since July 12 to compare and my BMI was 39 to start.

My surgery was July 22. I lost 8 pounds within the first two weeks. I still have only lost 8 pounds.

I'm drinking Protein Shakes. Taking all the Vitamins. I'm eating scrambled eggs --anything else-- I can only take maybe 4 bites. I feel like I am eating 1/8th of what I used to eat and I do not understand why I am not losing.

I started walking and was proud that I was walking 2 miles (On the treadmill.) Dr. said that "walking is not an exercise. That is why we were born with two legs --we are supposed to walk."

Well wishers have questioned --"maybe you're not eating enough." "Maybe you're not getting enough water." "Maybe you're not getting enough protein." "You did not have that much to lose, so maybe it will go slower." "Maybe you're still healing." "Maybe its your thyroid."

I don't understand --my brother in law had a two week bout of pancreatitis and lost 25 pounds --believe me, he wasn't worried about Protein or Water, he just didn't eat much. I am extremely worried that I might be in the 10% who this surgery doesn't work on.

6 hours ago, Soonlee_W said:

Hi Soonlee_W!

I'm sorry that you feel like you are losing slowly. It is frustrating when you feel like you are putting all this work in and not seeing the results you expected. I am Just throwing some questions and thoughts out there to see if perhaps they might be helpful.

Was your doctor's only advice to increase exercise? Did he/she suggest modifications to your meal plan or suggest seeing the nutritionist?

Are you having difficulty eating foods or just get full fast? Did you try looking at other food plans to see how it compares to yours? I know my plan put limits on the number of egg yolks per week (3). Are you looking at calories, fat, carbs in addition to volume of food? Do you track your food (i.e. Baritastic), so you can see if you are eating enough nutrients?

Perhaps there is nothing to change, and it is just matter of following the plan & waiting it out. I think seeing a nutritionist might be most helpful, maybe they can help you find targets for calories that would maybe increase loss.

Thank you for sharing, as others might be having this challenge as well. I hope you figure out what is causing your progress to stall & start seeing results that you are hoping for. 😊

Hey July Surgery People! This thread has been very quiet lately. I think we need another status check & update now that we are all at least 3 months post op. I'd love to hear how everyone is doing. Hoping you're getting closer to where you want to be and seeing results!

Getting a little bored with the foods I've been eating lately. I switched from Oikos triple zero yogurt to light & fit's higher Protein yogurt, as I needed some new flavors. Often have P3 Snacks for lunch or Protein Shake. Enjoying salads again. Most foods go down easily.

Share your favorite foods, tips, or advice!

-------

Surgery Status: Post Op (a little over 3 months)

Phase: modified regular diet

Highest known weight: 291

Starting weight: 280

Current Weight: 221 (-59)

Inch loss: (have to measure & calculate)

NSV: finally needing new clothes & fitting into sizes that I haven't for a long time. I had some clothes that I never wore, because they say a certain size, but must be smaller (Looking at you Gap & Levi's!!, unless it is just my shape)😄, and they finally fit.

Current Favorite foods: cashews, almonds, P3, light & fit yogurt, chicken, protein waffles, oatmeal, farina, turkey, shrimp, fish, salad

6 July for me and doing well. Still have upper back pain when eating now but hey ill take it with weight gone.

Started at 268 and now 192. Lost from 46 pants to 36 now. Loving all of this. Eating in stage three now and Jan. 2022 is my 6 month f/u.

19 hours ago, jadj65 said:

Wow, you're doing great with the weight loss, I hope the pain gets better! Glad you are loving it. Wishing you continued success!