Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

14 hours ago, Clipped2021 said:

Hello everyone!

Im new to the site and I am excited to chat with others who have had gastric sleeve surgery. My surgery was July. 29 and it went well. I am struggling with meeting my Water and Protein requirements. I feel there isn’t enough hours in a day to consume everything required. I’m up and moving around well with minimal pain. I struggle with cramping every time I drink which is the main reason why I don’t meet my Water or Protein requirements. Any tips or advice ( tricks to the trade) I would greatly appreciate it.

I had mine a few days before you and also struggle with hitting protein and water goals in the day. Seems impossible! Have you tried having broth or warm tea / warm water with lemon for hydration? That went down easier for me than cold water during the cramping stomach days.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:00 AM, LizzLosingIt said:

I’m on my last week of birth control since I have to get off of it for one month prior and one month after... not starting a new pack even though the days don’t align perfectly.
mom only required to do a two-week diet, so I’m using these weeks prior to that time to have my “final meals” with stuff I’ve already purchased so it won’t go to waste. Enjoying my last bits of fruit juices, ice creams, rice (which is HUGE in my culture). Stopped buying snack foods since I won’t finish them all. Stopped buying new clothes back in April when I started the process. I’m nervous for July 4th weekend since my surgery is on the 9th. I want to be able to enjoy myself and food just feels like such a big factor in doing so. My family and friends are extremely supportive and said they’d help find foods I can still enjoy that fit my low fat diet but still sort of nervous of inconveniencing people.

In the beginning it was hard for me too. I had my surgery July 15. I found taking very small sips from a shot glass worked best or taking warm drinks from a Cappuccino cup worked for me. I drank Protein Water to do double duty. And if those tricks didn't work, I grabbed sugar free popsicles and tried to suck on a few of those an hour. Mine were 1.5 ounces each so four of those an hour gave me six ounces of hydration

15 hours ago, Clipped2021 said:

Hello everyone!

Im new to the site and I am excited to chat with others who have had gastric sleeve surgery. My surgery was July. 29 and it went well. I am struggling with meeting my Water and Protein requirements. I feel there isn’t enough hours in a day to consume everything required. I’m up and moving around well with minimal pain. I struggle with cramping every time I drink which is the main reason why I don’t meet my Water or Protein requirements. Any tips or advice ( tricks to the trade) I would greatly appreciate it.

I had my surgery a few days before you (currently on full liquid phase), and I agree it is hard to get them both in, especially that first week. I have been getting better at getting them in this second week, so it gets easier (at least until we have to start spacing out the water before and after meals).

I try to drink my Protein Shakes between meals. So the first around 10 am and the second around 3pm or 8 pm. There were a few days were I couldn't stomach them, so on those days when that happened, I used GENEPRO and added 1/2 a serving to my Soups or crystal light. Also sometimes th chocolate shakes can be overwhelming, so I mix 1/2 vanilla & 1/2 chocolate. If I get 2 shakes or 2 servings of Genepro in that is 60 g of protein. I have been also eating Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt (1/2 container w/ 7 g of protein).

For me, water has been the bigger challenge every day. Like you said, there aren't enough hours in the day to get it all in! Drinking Crystal Light or other sugar free drinks instead of water for a drink or two a day also helps me. I have a time marked motivation cup filled with water and need to have it near me at all times. I am always behind on where I should be each hour. 🤦‍♀️Luckily, the 2 shakes take care of 16 oz of water, otherwise I wouldn't have made the 64 oz goal yet.

I did set a timer on my phone through baritastic, but it doesn't seem to work on my phone. I think there are water drinking reminder apps, so I will need to try that next week when I start soft foods.

I'm sorry you are getting cramping, when I drink too quickly, I feel it sometimes, too, but it has gotten better.

Wishing you luck, and looking forward to seeing other tips for the water, too! Keep us posted if you find tips that work for you!😊

Edited by Candace76
Typo/addition

Thank you so much for all the tips. It such a great help having others to bounce things off of. You sound very organized and scheduled with you Water and Protein intake and maybe that’s half my problem. I find the Protein Shakes just don’t sit well in my stomach and always on the verge of coming up. I’ve never really fancied protein shakes! I’ll try the powder that you suggested and add in into my water ( kill 2 birds with 1 stone). I was very motivated the first few days but I find the last day or two I’m not and I’m kinda dragging. I never realized how much time I spent focusing on food until this journey! I didn’t think I was that obsessed with food until now. I’m glad I started this journey and look forward to a healthier and happier me!

I'm not sure if GENEPRO will taste good in Water, but I think some people add it to skim (fat free) milk. It is supposed to be flavorless, but there is a subtle taste to it.

You can add it to sugarfree Jello, too.

My surgery was on July 19th. Like you, I struggled to drink Water AND Protein. The issue (I learned) is that your stomach is swollen. By the following week after surgery, I could do a little more than the week before. Hang in there as it does get a little easier week to week.

1 hour ago, Candace76 said:

I'm not sure if GENEPRO will taste good in Water, but I think some people add it to skim (fat free) milk. It is supposed to be flavorless, but there is a subtle taste to it.

You can add it to sugarfree Jello, too.

It tastes terrible in Water. Don’t try it. Lol

2 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

It tastes terrible in Water. Don’t try it. Lol

Yeah, I didn't think it would.😝🤣

On 8/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, Tato63 said:

Hi there, how are you eating already at 3 weeks post op? What exactly did you eat? Just curious because I had mine 7/12 and am only on puree foods that's all.

Hello! At the luncheon I had about 2 ounces of mashed potatoes and one ounce on cooked carrots. I had a few delicious green Beans, too. I moved to puree on the third day after surgery, and I moved to soft foods after 3 weeks.

Hi all - So Ive lost 20 lbs in the past 2.5 weeks, but now I havent seen the scale budge in 3-4 days. I guess this is the 3 week stall I keep reading about. Anyone else experiencing this?

Just now, BillyHalleck said:

Hi all - So Ive lost 20 lbs in the past 2.5 weeks, but now I havent seen the scale budge in 3-4 days. I guess this is the 3 week stall I keep reading about. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yep!! Same happened to me as well!! After the 3rd week it picked back up. Try not to look at the scale!!

1 minute ago, Jeseca832 said:

Yep!! Same happened to me as well!! After the 3rd week it picked back up. Try not to look at the scale!!

Thanks - having just started limited foods, I've been nervous that I am doing something wrong - but I kow I cant event be close to exceeding my calorie expenditure. Somehow know others are going through the same thing helps (though it sucks for all of us!). THX!