Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 hours ago, eholmes89 said:

Hi Blue bonnet,

are your incisions stitches or staples?

most of mine look ok apart from the bigger two, I have staples in mine. The incisions look really neat and clear but where the staples are in the skin mine are also red and delicate. But no pus or heat.

I have them taken on on Tuesday!

perhaps pop a photo of it over to your nurse?

Other than that, I hope your doing well 🙂

Mine are incisions closes with glue. I think I may have an allergic reaction to the glue

Magnesium citrate 😝😖 is so gross!

I don't know if you all had to drink this, but YUCK!

Well, at least that is done and I am less than 24 hours away!

(Fyi-It is for bowel prep for surgery, if you were lucky enough to skip this step, or have not experienced it yet)

On 7/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, Soonlee_W said:

I got home from VSG surgery yesterday.

Here's my story:

July 22nd I arrived for my surgery. They told me that Dr. Selim was running about two hours behind -not his fault, it had something to do with the way the people scheduled things. They put the IV which pinched a bit and gave me a shot in my stomach to prevent blood clots. I'm pretty sure they also took some blood. Around 2:30 I had my surgery. The pain was at most at a 3. The pain was in my upper chest right in the center. They said it was the gas. Around 7:00 I was able to suck on ice with no problems. Later they brought me the best lemonade I ever had! LOL I was able to sip the lemonade with no problems. After reading all these posts here, I knew I'd have to take tiny sips. I never got nauseous. I never threw up. I walked around at about 8:00. I was able to urinate on my own. I didn't sleep well - I was uncomfortable but not in pain. Every time I had to urinate they had to unhook me from the oxygen thing and the IV. At some point in the night they gave me a GasX to chew and a few hours later something for Acid Reflux. Around 4:00 a.m. she asked if I wanted something for pain and although I wasn't in any pain, I had hoped it would put me to sleep. I slept in 30 minute increments. Each time I woke up --I was able to walk with no problems. Around 6 in the morning, they brought me half a cup of broth. I walked to the door 5 times, took a sip, walked to the door 5 times, took a sip...and so on till it was all gone. I was able to have the broth and still work on that yummy lemonade with no problems.

Hubby came to bring me home around noon. We live about 45 minutes from the hospital. It was a hot Louisiana day. I could feel the warmth on my face and it was nice. It had been so cold in the hospital room. We got home and he made some Soup. It was so good --I strained it so I didn't even get the little specks of spices he put in it. It was hot n spicy like I like it. I weighed myself, I had gained 3 pounds!!!!

But then.....I realized my face was hot. I was running a fever. 99.9 I got scared. The papers say to call the Dr's office if you have a fever over 101.5, so I took some Tylenol and fell asleep.

Today (2 days after surgery) I'm fine. No pain at all but still uncomfortable in certain positions. I normally sleep on my left side and I am unable to that right now. Still feeling a bit feverish off and on but never as high as 101.5.

I cannot begin to write all the crazy things that have gone through my head. Maybe I can write about that later.

I haven't worn the Abdominal binder yet -- when do people normally start wearing it?

Also --would love to hear about those other two on here who had theirs the same day as me.

My surgery was on July 22nd as well, funny part is the same happened to me. I was scheduled for 10am and didn’t go back for surgery until 2pm, due to another surgeon having complications with his second patient. It wasn’t my surgeon fault. My surgery went well. I had terrible gas pain and was given morphine and something for nausea, but I never vomit. I didn’t have much of an appetite after surgery, so all I drank was sips of Water. I was able to walk to the restroom and sit up in a chair. I was discharged from the hospital the next day. My surgeon said everything went well. I have to get used to my stomach feeling full after sipping water or Protein Shakes. I’m still on the clear liquid diet but trying to change over to the full liquid diet before trying the purée food. I’ve been able to hold everything down. The first two days at home, I had to take my prescription for oxycodone. The pain is getting better. I’m just feeling thirsty. I’m sipping water, but it feels like it’s not enough. I guess my body is used to having more water.

My starting weight on the day of surgery was 206.4 and now I’m 198.2 and I’m 5’6.

1 hour ago, Mica16 said:

My surgery was on July 22nd as well, funny part is the same happened to me. I was scheduled for 10am and didn’t go back for surgery until 2pm, due to another surgeon having complications with his second patient. It wasn’t my surgeon fault. My surgery went well. I had terrible gas pain and was given morphine and something for nausea, but I never vomit. I didn’t have much of an appetite after surgery, so all I drank was sips of Water. I was able to walk to the restroom and sit up in a chair. I was discharged from the hospital the next day. My surgeon said everything went well. I have to get used to my stomach feeling full after sipping Water or Protein Shakes. I’m still on the clear liquid diet but trying to change over to the full liquid diet before trying the purée food. I’ve been able to hold everything down. The first two days at home, I had to take my prescription for oxycodone. The pain is getting better. I’m just feeling thirsty. I’m sipping water, but it feels like it’s not enough. I guess my body is used to having more water.

My starting weight on the day of surgery was 206.4 and now I’m 198.2 and I’m 5’6.

I feel so fortunate that I did not need anything for pain. I've been uncomfortable trying to sleep as I sleep on my side --the abdominal binder is amazing!!! Once I put that on, I could sleep in any position I wanted. I got the NyOrtho one from Amazon. It does not roll down -it stays in position.

Today is day 3. I made an egg since I figured I should have something other than the Protein water. I could barely eat it all. I didn't get sick, I took small bites, but I couldn't eat the whole thing. It's sad --before surgery, I could have eaten 3 eggs with no problems. I did eat about 1/4 of Split Pea Soup.

The Protein Water is Tropical Punch Flavor --it's really sweet. I added some lemon juice and that helped a lot.

My weight the day of Surgery was 184. I'm 180 now. When I see the 170's!!!!! I'm gonna be so excited.

Guess what -- something else has happened. Baby sister needs bariatric surgery but doesn't have insurance. She needs it way more than I did. I felt so bad the day of surgery going in knowing she was rooting for me but at the same time, feeling a little jealous. She always puts everyone before herself. After my surgery, her husband felt badly for her. He has decided she can have it and is being supportive! Hooray

Hey everyone!! I had mine done on the 20th. I need some advice. (I hope everyone feels better soon that’s not feeling well from their surgery :) ). So my issue is that I’m not having any issues with the amount of fluids or Protein to get in. In fact I’m feeling hungry. I was supposed to be on Clear Liquids for a week post op. But I transitioned to full liquids today. And I’m still not having any issues. I get between 50 and 60 oz of Fluid in per day. I could drink a full 11oz bottle of Premier Protein within a half hour. I also had about 4oz of vanilla sf pudding within 10 mins. Is anyone else having this issue? I’m thinking to myself like did my doctor forget to cut it all out. 🤣. Now I’m worried that this isn’t going to work for me. I am feeling super frustrated right now. But trying to remain positive.

Don’t get worried. I had mine in 6 July and doing fine. I thought after my first Greek yogurt I did not get it but the weight still comes off.

I too a week after mine could handle 4 oz but think about that ?? 4 oz ?? I could drink 6 sprints in an hour and half before surgery and eat hamburgers !

you’ll do great !

18 minutes ago, jasj65 said:

Don’t get worried. I had mine in 6 July and doing fine. I thought after my first Greek yogurt I did not get it but the weight still comes off.

I too a week after mine could handle 4 oz but think about that ?? 4 oz ?? I could drink 6 sprints in an hour and half before surgery and eat hamburgers !

you’ll do great !

True. Lol like 4oz. Thanks for the encouragement!! I’m trying!!

1 hour ago, Jeseca832 said:

Hey everyone!! I had mine done on the 20th. I need some advice. (I hope everyone feels better soon that’s not feeling well from their surgery :) ). So my issue is that I’m not having any issues with the amount of fluids or Protein to get in. In fact I’m feeling hungry. I was supposed to be on Clear Liquids for a week post op. But I transitioned to full liquids today. And I’m still not having any issues. I get between 50 and 60 oz of Fluid in per day. I could drink a full 11oz bottle of Premier Protein within a half hour. I also had about 4oz of vanilla sf pudding within 10 mins. Is anyone else having this issue? I’m thinking to myself like did my doctor forget to cut it all out. 🤣. Now I’m worried that this isn’t going to work for me. I am feeling super frustrated right now. But trying to remain positive.

Don't worry. If you search the forum, you will see others who have had the same experience as you. In those cases their restriction hit either when they started purees or when they went to solid foods. Glad you are doing well!

1 minute ago, Bluebonnetgirl said:

Don't worry. If you search the forum, you will see others who have had the same experience as you. In those cases their restriction hit either when they started purees or when they went to solid foods. Glad you are doing well!

Thanks!! My mom actually tried to tell me that too that maybe it will come when I could actually eat regular food instead of all this liquid! I never thought I would be so excited for eggs!! 😂

2 hours ago, Jeseca832 said:

I was the same way. I could always eat or drink more than I should for that stage. I have just stuck with the portions I was supposed to be eating and I have lost 50 pounds at 4.5 months post op and the weight is slowly but surely still coming off. You should be just fine.

38 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I was the same way. I could always eat or drink more than I should for that stage. I have just stuck with the portions I was supposed to be eating and I have lost 50 pounds at 4.5 months post op and the weight is slowly but surely still coming off. You should be just fine.

Thanks so much!! It’s a relief hearing everyone else!!

4 hours ago, Jeseca832 said:

I'm in the same boat! I haven't struggled to get in my fluids, and the only reason I struggle with the Protein Shakes is because they taste disgusting. I can get down a full Slim Fast bottle in about 10 minutes. I take tiny little sips but they go through quickly. I have been super careful about taking tiny sips and tiny bites, so I haven't felt any pain or restriction yet (12 days post op). The only reason I am stopping at 2oz to 3 oz per pureed meal is because I don't want to strain my sleeve, although I haven't felt close to straining it. Maybe it is because we have not had a lot of swelling in our stomach? I feel like I healed up really quickly. Do you feel that way too? I think a lot of the early restriction is from swelling in the stomach area as it recuperates. So I guess that's a good thing!