Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Team Sleeve
I had my sleeve operation on July 5th. It went well, I did have serious nausea and stayed longer in hospital so I could be given Fluid via a drip.
I lost 5kg with four days.
I'm now down 9kgs - coming up three weeks.
I've been slowly introducing puree food - I wasn't ready until the last few days. According to my dietitian everyone's different.
I feel really buoyed by my weight loss todate.
How are others tracking from early July?
X

Sent from my SM-N986B using BariatricPal mobile app

On 7/18/2021 at 12:14 PM, Maribelle76 said:

When I got a little nervous, I read back though the April, May, and June surgery thread, and I noticed that the surgery seems pretty safe. Reading story after story about good itchiness was reassuring. Did you know it is more dangerous to have a C-section than the sleeve?

Thank you so much, that’s what I’ve been doing for the past couple days and it was really helpful, I now feel ready for my surgery 🙂

On 7/18/2021 at 7:55 AM, Candace76 said:

@Dayana Luque

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I will have mine on that day also! Surgery is also always a little scary for me, too.

When I start to worry, I remind myself that I am confident that this is the right thing for me & know the risk of complications is very small.

Wishing you luck & hoping your fears stress & anxiety decrease before your surgery.

Congrats on your surgery as well!! 😀Thanks for the support I feel better now Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery ❤️‍🩹

I am one week two days out from surgery and overall feeling good.

My incisions seem to be healing well and don't hurt, but there is a large area of redness around each one. It doesn't hurt, there is no drainage and no heat. But noticably red around them. I am very fair skinned. Is this normal?

Edited by Bluebonnetgirl

2 hours ago, SallyAJones said:

Hi Team Sleeve
I had my sleeve operation on July 5th. It went well, I did have serious nausea and stayed longer in hospital so I could be given Fluid via a drip.
I lost 5kg with four days.
I'm now down 9kgs - coming up three weeks.
I've been slowly introducing puree food - I wasn't ready until the last few days. According to my dietitian everyone's different.
I feel really buoyed by my weight loss todate.
How are others tracking from early July?
X

Sent from my SM-N986B using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Sally,

You sound like your doing really well! I also had bad nausea and sickness the first few days and couldn’t hold anything down, but it soon passed. I’m only 11 days post op, still on liquid diet.

I lost about 8lbs in the first 3 days after surgery, since then I’ve only lost 1lb. Which is really getting me down.

im really trying to get my Protein in as recommended but some days it’s so hard to finish all my Protein Shakes etc.

ive started walking and being more active today to see if that helps as I’ve just been doing light housework.

How many grams of protein did you aim for in your liquid days? Also did you calorie count?

thanks

em x

4 minutes ago, Bluebonnetgirl said:

I am one week two days out from surgery and overall feeling good.

Mu incisions seem to be healing well and don't hurt, but there is redness around each one. It doesn't hurt, there is no drainage and no heat. Bit noticably red around them. Is this normal?

Hi Blue bonnet,

are your incisions stitches or staples?

most of mine look ok apart from the bigger two, I have staples in mine. The incisions look really neat and clear but where the staples are in the skin mine are also red and delicate. But no pus or heat.

I have them taken on on Tuesday!

perhaps pop a photo of it over to your nurse?

Other than that, I hope your doing well 🙂

I got home from VSG surgery yesterday.

Here's my story:

July 22nd I arrived for my surgery. They told me that Dr. Selim was running about two hours behind -not his fault, it had something to do with the way the people scheduled things. They put the IV which pinched a bit and gave me a shot in my stomach to prevent blood clots. I'm pretty sure they also took some blood. Around 2:30 I had my surgery. The pain was at most at a 3. The pain was in my upper chest right in the center. They said it was the gas. Around 7:00 I was able to suck on ice with no problems. Later they brought me the best lemonade I ever had! LOL I was able to sip the lemonade with no problems. After reading all these posts here, I knew I'd have to take tiny sips. I never got nauseous. I never threw up. I walked around at about 8:00. I was able to urinate on my own. I didn't sleep well - I was uncomfortable but not in pain. Every time I had to urinate they had to unhook me from the oxygen thing and the IV. At some point in the night they gave me a GasX to chew and a few hours later something for Acid Reflux. Around 4:00 a.m. she asked if I wanted something for pain and although I wasn't in any pain, I had hoped it would put me to sleep. I slept in 30 minute increments. Each time I woke up --I was able to walk with no problems. Around 6 in the morning, they brought me half a cup of broth. I walked to the door 5 times, took a sip, walked to the door 5 times, took a sip...and so on till it was all gone. I was able to have the broth and still work on that yummy lemonade with no problems.

Hubby came to bring me home around noon. We live about 45 minutes from the hospital. It was a hot Louisiana day. I could feel the warmth on my face and it was nice. It had been so cold in the hospital room. We got home and he made some Soup. It was so good --I strained it so I didn't even get the little specks of spices he put in it. It was hot n spicy like I like it. I weighed myself, I had gained 3 pounds!!!!

But then.....I realized my face was hot. I was running a fever. 99.9 I got scared. The papers say to call the Dr's office if you have a fever over 101.5, so I took some Tylenol and fell asleep.

Today (2 days after surgery) I'm fine. No pain at all but still uncomfortable in certain positions. I normally sleep on my left side and I am unable to that right now. Still feeling a bit feverish off and on but never as high as 101.5.

I cannot begin to write all the crazy things that have gone through my head. Maybe I can write about that later.

I haven't worn the abdominal binder yet -- when do people normally start wearing it?

Also --would love to hear about those other two on here who had theirs the same day as me.

2 hours ago, Soonlee_W said:

I got home from VSG surgery yesterday.

Here's my story:

July 22nd I arrived for my surgery. They told me that Dr. Selim was running about two hours behind -not his fault, it had something to do with the way the people scheduled things. They put the IV which pinched a bit and gave me a shot in my stomach to prevent blood clots. I'm pretty sure they also took some blood. Around 2:30 I had my surgery. The pain was at most at a 3. The pain was in my upper chest right in the center. They said it was the gas. Around 7:00 I was able to suck on ice with no problems. Later they brought me the best lemonade I ever had! LOL I was able to sip the lemonade with no problems. After reading all these posts here, I knew I'd have to take tiny sips. I never got nauseous. I never threw up. I walked around at about 8:00. I was able to urinate on my own. I didn't sleep well - I was uncomfortable but not in pain. Every time I had to urinate they had to unhook me from the oxygen thing and the IV. At some point in the night they gave me a GasX to chew and a few hours later something for Acid Reflux. Around 4:00 a.m. she asked if I wanted something for pain and although I wasn't in any pain, I had hoped it would put me to sleep. I slept in 30 minute increments. Each time I woke up --I was able to walk with no problems. Around 6 in the morning, they brought me half a cup of broth. I walked to the door 5 times, took a sip, walked to the door 5 times, took a sip...and so on till it was all gone. I was able to have the broth and still work on that yummy lemonade with no problems.

Hubby came to bring me home around noon. We live about 45 minutes from the hospital. It was a hot Louisiana day. I could feel the warmth on my face and it was nice. It had been so cold in the hospital room. We got home and he made some Soup. It was so good --I strained it so I didn't even get the little specks of spices he put in it. It was hot n spicy like I like it. I weighed myself, I had gained 3 pounds!!!!

But then.....I realized my face was hot. I was running a fever. 99.9 I got scared. The papers say to call the Dr's office if you have a fever over 101.5, so I took some Tylenol and fell asleep.

Today (2 days after surgery) I'm fine. No pain at all but still uncomfortable in certain positions. I normally sleep on my left side and I am unable to that right now. Still feeling a bit feverish off and on but never as high as 101.5.

I cannot begin to write all the crazy things that have gone through my head. Maybe I can write about that later.

I haven't worn the Abdominal binder yet -- when do people normally start wearing it?

Also --would love to hear about those other two on here who had theirs the same day as me.

Glad to hear you are doing okay. I woke up from surgery with my additional binder on and they said I could take it off whenever I wanted as it was just for mY comfort. I took it off when I got home and didn’t notice any difference.

My surgery on the 20th reportedly went well, but I had to stay in the hospital an extra day as due to pain and not feeling well, was pumped full of fluids (today, I am still eight pounds higher than my surgery weight, and look pregnant), was discharged on Thursday, went back to the ER on Friday and was diagnosed with a superficial blood clot near where my IV was), and ever since I started trying to add back diluted Protein Shakes yesterday, it's been awful.

Every time I tried to take a teeny tiny sip of the diluted Protein Shake, I would burp, my stomach would make horrible noises, and I eventually had to stop (I drank about 2/3 of the bottle between afternoon and evening) because I was fighting so hard not to throw up. I haven't tried a Protein shake today, but the burping and nausea are happening constantly after I take tiny sips. I'm trying to drink protein Water, which is a little better, but I'm still struggling with it.

Did this happen to anyone else? Did it go away? I hope this isn't a serious complication.

Edited by lunadreams

1 minute ago, lunadreams said:

My surgery on the 20th reportedly went well, but I had to stay in the hospital an extra day as due to pain and not feeling well, was pumped full of fluids (today, I am still eight pounds higher than my surgery weight, and look pregnant), was discharged on Thursday, went back to the ER on Friday and was diagnosed with a superficial blood clot near where my IV was), and ever since I started trying to add back diluted Protein Shakes yesterday, it's been awful.

Every time I tried to take a teeny tiny sip of the diluted Protein Shake, I would burp, my stomach would make horrible noises, and I eventually had to stop (I drank about 2/3 of the bottle between afternoon and evening) because I was fighting so hard not to throw up. I haven't tried a Protein shake today, but the burping and nausea are happening constantly after I take tiny sips. I'm trying to drink Protein Water, which is a little better, but I'm still struggling with it.

Did this happen to anyone else? Did it go away? I hope this isn't a serious complication.

Hi Luna dreams.

This sure sounds familiar. I’m 11 days post op. It will still take me about 4-5 hours to finish a 250ml Protein Shake. I take 2-3 small sips, burp and get instant heart burn. I have to wait for that to settle before I sip again.

I have to say it’s getting better though.. it’s not as often now.. still taking me a few hours to get through a shake but the heartburn is stopping.
I do however burp all the time!! Even with just Water.

I found using Gaviscon or Infacol (U.K. based I’m not sure where you live) helpful with the wind and heartburn.

ive only just been able to really get my full Protein requirements in each day, however I’m still Not drinking enough fluids.. but as you say it’s so hard I always feel so full and bloated.

I’m just hoping it’s part of the process…

good luck xx

1 minute ago, eholmes89 said:

Hi Luna dreams.

This sure sounds familiar. I’m 11 days post op. It will still take me about 4-5 hours to finish a 250ml Protein Shake. I take 2-3 small sips, burp and get instant heart burn. I have to wait for that to settle before I sip again.

I have to say it’s getting better though.. it’s not as often now.. still taking me a few hours to get through a shake but the heartburn is stopping.
I do however burp all the time!! Even with just Water.

I found using Gaviscon or Infacol (U.K. based I’m not sure where you live) helpful with the wind and heartburn.

ive only just been able to really get my full Protein requirements in each day, however I’m still Not drinking enough fluids.. but as you say it’s so hard I always feel so full and bloated.

I’m just hoping it’s part of the process…

good luck xx

Thank you! Did you have to go back to the hospital for IV fluids, or if you couldn't get enough protein in?

1 minute ago, lunadreams said:

Thank you! Did you have to go back to the hospital for IV fluids, or if you couldn't get enough Protein in?

I didn’t go back in… the day I was released for 12 hours I couldn’t hold anything down, not even liquid pain relief I was just vomiting the whole time it was super scary but they still discharged me and told me sleep. I managed to hold a codine down and slept most the time and woke up to vomit only!
I then started in Water only, that was a struggle. Then protein water. By day 4 I was on Protein Shakes. I now mix protein shakes with Soups, tea. Protein yoghurts and protein Breakfast drinks.< br /> im on about 1500-1800ml of Fluid a day. Including the protein shakes. And my aim is 60g protein.. some days I barely get in 30g. But the last two days I’ve done 60 and I feel my stomach is handling more…

I did feel regret at first because I was so thirsty and wanted to gulp water!! But it has been getting easier day by day..

Just keep trying with different flavours, juices. And warm Tea. But take your time not to hurt your new stomach. Strangely I found using a straw helped and drink a lot of sugar free juice boxes (Capri sun pouches) which go down easier.

x

Hi everyone!

Surgery Status: 5 days post-op VSG (7/19 surgery date)

Phase: full liquids- mostly just Protein waters though

Highest known weight: 274

Surgery weight: 264

Current Weight: 254.6

Inch loss: I’m only five days out so I haven’t measured myself yet. I have SO much abdominal swelling from the surgery, that even though I’m losing pounds my belly is bigger than it was before surgery 😞

NSV: not really anything yet- I think I feel happier though