Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, MelESG714 said:

Just completed my op on 7/14 and after excruciating day 1 gas pains, found this site. I can tell it's going to be so helpful and hope to contribute :)

Hope you feel better soon. A heating pad and slow gentle motion such as rocking when sitting and walking will be your best friends.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, ShoppGirl said:

I am not a sweets person either. Are you allowed to have yogurt. I made a ranch dip with plain Greek yogurt and ranch dressing mix and ate that a couple spoonfuls at a time to satisfy the savory craving. If you are allowed raw veggies it’s an excellent veggie dip.

Have you tried Tomato Soup or bisques? You can also go to a restaurant and get the broth from Wonton Soup, Pho or ramen.

Edited by LisaMarrie
added info

On 07/19/2021 at 14:14, Candace76 said:

I hope things get easier for you soon. Has it been difficult due to pain, are you having a tough time getting your liquids down, or a little of both?

Congrats on the surgery & feel better.

Thank you! And, neither actually. I seem to be recovering quite well. It’s mostly food anxiety that I am dealing with. I’ve already cried a few times, worrying this whole thing was a mistake.

I think I messed up! I had my VSG done on the 15th and stayed in the hospital that night. The next day before I was released, they moved me to full liquids, so in the hospital I had cream of chicken Soup and some V-8 juice. Upon getting home I did the same along with my Protein Drinks, Water etc. So…today I tried a green smoothie. It had kale in it, half a banana, 2% milk and some mango. Only drank half of it and within a few hours I was on the toilet with diarrhea. I noticed that the kale was chopped up really fine but you could still see specs in it. I got it from a smoothie place, it wasn’t homemade. Was it too early in the full liquid stage to do smoothies? I also just bought a whole bunch of frozen fruit, soy milk, whey Protein Powder and a ninja bullet to start smoothies and now I’m concerned that my stomach isn’t going to handle this. Could it have been the small speckles of the kale or the sugar from the fruit? Tips? Advice? Thanks!

9 hours ago, AmandaFilm89 said:

Thank you! And, neither actually. I seem to be recovering quite well. It’s mostly food anxiety that I am dealing with. I’ve already cried a few times, worrying this whole thing was a mistake.

Glad you are recovering well. It must be hard to get used to this new way of eating. The first few stages will probably be difficult, but hopefully you will be able to add more foods as time goes on. I'm sorry that you are having difficulty with this & hope things get better.

I have been on a clear liquid diet since July 5. Tomorrow I get to start FULL liquids and I am here for it! If I never eat another bowl of broth again in my life, it will be too soon! On the plus side I have lost 27 pounds.

HW: 283

SW: 235

CW: 217

Good morning everyone. Had my surgery on 07/14/21. I’m feeling hungry still . Soar and I can’t wait to start feeling better

29 minutes ago, Mama Des said:

Good morning everyone. Had my surgery on 07/14/21. I’m feeling hungry still . Soar and I can’t wait to start feeling better

Aww...sorry to hear that you are still sore & still feeling hungry. Would Tylenol & heating pad help? Is it still gas pain? Do gas-x or mylanta help? Maybe your doctor may have suggestions.

I do hope you start to feel better & find foods that help with the hunger.

17 hours ago, LisaMarrie said:

Have you tried Tomato Soup or bisques? You can also go to a restaurant and get the broth from Wonton Soup, Pho or ramen.

Pho broth is a brilliant idea, thank you!

@Ready21 smoothies definitely was not allowed in the liquid stages for me. It was one to avoid. Full Fluids was things like Protein Shakes, milk, yogurt, cream Soup. The only "fruit" I had was applesauce.

1 hour ago, MistySkye said:

@Ready21 smoothies definitely was not allowed in the liquid stages for me. It was one to avoid. Full Fluids was things like Protein Shakes, milk, yogurt, cream Soup. The only "fruit" I had was applesauce.

16 hours ago, Ready21 said:

I think I messed up! I had my VSG done on the 15th and stayed in the hospital that night. The next day before I was released, they moved me to full liquids, so in the hospital I had cream of chicken Soup and some V-8 juice. Upon getting home I did the same along with my Protein Drinks, Water etc. So…today I tried a green smoothie. It had kale in it, half a banana, 2% milk and some mango. Only drank half of it and within a few hours I was on the toilet with diarrhea. I noticed that the kale was chopped up really fine but you could still see specs in it. I got it from a smoothie place, it wasn’t homemade. Was it too early in the full liquid stage to do smoothies? I also just bought a whole bunch of frozen fruit, soy milk, whey Protein Powder and a ninja bullet to start smoothies and now I’m concerned that my stomach isn’t going to handle this. Could it have been the small speckles of the kale or the sugar from the fruit? Tips? Advice? Thanks!

My recommended plan was similar to MistySkye's during the full liquid stage. I think most fruits & veggies aren't recommended yet (on my plan anyway), until purée or soft food stage, and they are to be cooked well. I think it is ok if it is in a broth, Soup (strained), or Tomato juice & soup, though. I was also told to have low-fat dairy/skim milk at first (& unsweetened soy & almond milk) , so it is easier to tolerate.

I hope to include green smoothies (I guess in soft food stage?), yours sounded good! Hopefully, you can find a tweak to make it go down easier for now. Maybe simplify it & gradually add ingredients back slowly to see what you can tolerate.

Edited by Candace76
Typo

4 hours ago, brightly said:

Pho broth is a brilliant idea, thank you!

YES! I have been on a liquid diet for 12 days now, and pho broth has been the tastiest thing I've eaten since starting. I definitely recommend it!

I'm def looking forward to moving out of the liquid stage. It will be the best refried Beans and cottage cheese I've ever eaten! LOL

21 hours ago, Ready21 said:

I was just looking at an online PDF from a gastric surgery dietitian and it showed fruit smoothies=diarrhea. I think that's the main reason they have people avoid them. It sounds like it's just too hard for our stomachs to process yet.

I just had my VSG 3 days ago. I’m starting to feel colder like I need blankets around me. Anyone else experience this?
Yes! I normally run hot but now I have to turn the fan off at night, or raise the AC

Sent from my moto g stylus using BariatricPal mobile app