Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgery is Monday July 26th! I am doing it down in TJ with dr. verboonen.

PREOP liquid diet UPDATE:

So I spent all day on this issue. I found some solutions on my own. The problems were:

1. I can't tolerate the Premiere Protein Shakes (or any other shakes) because the Calcium is too high and I have high calcium already (probably hyperparathyroidism- still having labs). 2. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so shakes all day isn't fun for me—its a bit barfy. 3. I want to control how sweet the Protein liquid is, so maybe I can keep it down. 4. I want it to taste real, like something healthy, not like junk food or candy. I want a savory option also.

Ok. So here is what I found, but it involves a DIY approach. I'm going to try Forager cashew milk (I've had it- it tastes like cashews and is not sweet- it tastes healthy in a good way) plus Isopure Protein Powder (zero carbs, zero sugar), plus a sugar free Monin Syrup, because I can use just a small amount so it is gently sweet, not vomitaciously so. (like all prepared shakes, for some reason).

This accomplishes the protein in a prepared shake with lower carbs and fat and much much lower calcium, and will taste natural. I'll try this when it comes in the mail tomorrow. I'm going to use 1.25 scoops of powder, probably a tbsp of Monin Almond Syrup, and 4 oz. of Forager Cashew Milk, unsweetened with a ton of ice in the blender. I may throw in some nutmeg and a pinch of salt.

It will be

150 calories 31g protein 2g fat 2g carbs 8% calcium 0% Vitamin C

For now, I will grind up my Multivitamin and put it in there until I have to stop taking Vitamins 10 days before surgery. My surgery is on the 28th, so very soon.

I've also been trying Brodo bone broths for savory protein and liquids- they are great, but too expensive. Good to know about though.

I've also sprinked a bit of Ranch powder on some celery and asperagus (I'm allowed 2 cups veggies and 2 tbsp fat free dressing a day-- so I'm doing that-- it's pretty good, and I'm not even a Ranch person)

I'll try this smoothie recipe tomorrow. I hope it helps someone else who might have hyperparathyroidism. Obviously, check with your surgeon on this before doing it.

Hi I’m home now . Spent one night at standford hospital and now back home. I feel sick, can’t really get out of bed without screaming and I’m sooo hungry. My stomach is growling and Water plus shakes are not helping. Any ideas’ ?

I had surgery on the 14th. Woke up today with numbness in my left outer thigh and my heart beat pulsing in my head. I’m also starting to get a bad taste in my mouth. It’s been a struggle trying to get all the liquids in today. Anyway, hello everyone!

11 hours ago, Mama Des said:

Hi I’m home now . Spent one night at standford hospital and now back home. I feel sick, can’t really get out of bed without screaming and I’m sooo hungry. My stomach is growling and Water plus shakes are not helping. Any ideas’ ?

Hi Mama Des,

Congrats on the surgery. I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain, and so hungry. I'm not sure what your allowed and what you have tried, but here are some things I am going to try after surgery (and am using now, pre op): broth (w/ or w/out genepro), s.f. Jello (genepro can be added here, too), s.f. electrolyte drink mix, s.f. popsicles, s.f. drink mixes, and once in full liquid stage s.f. yogurt & farina/cream of wheat thinned with milk.

I had a sample of a broth that was made by Bariatric Fusion, it was pretty tasty. The nectar Protein Drinks have some flavors that seem more like juice, lemon aid, fruit punch or iced tea. I haven't tried those yet.

I hope you find something to make this phase easier, good luck, & tell us if you find anything that worked for you.

20210717_071709.jpg

20210717_071738.jpg

Edited by Candace76
Cropped imaged

9 hours ago, DeenaP said:

I had surgery on the 14th. Woke up today with numbness in my left outer thigh and my heart beat pulsing in my head. I’m also starting to get a bad taste in my mouth. It’s been a struggle trying to get all the liquids in today. Anyway, hello everyone!

Hello DeenaP,

Congratulations on your surgery. I hope you feel better & that it gets easier to get the liquids down.

Update:had to stay one more night in the hospital for severe dehydration.

Other than that it's not been too bad. Minimal pain. Mostly just from the gas trying to escape.

Headed home now!

Today is day 6 on the pre-op diet and I'm feeling lightheaded -no energy. I'm drinking the Protein Shakes and sipping just the liquids from Soup, also a sugar free pudding. Like brightly --I'm not really a sweets person. So it seems like a lot of sweet stuff is on the list of pre-op options. Starting Monday it will be Clear Liquids only, surgery is Thursday.

8 minutes ago, Soonlee_W said:

Today is day 6 on the pre-op diet and I'm feeling lightheaded -no energy. I'm drinking the Protein Shakes and sipping just the liquids from Soup, also a sugar free pudding. Like brightly --I'm not really a sweets person. So it seems like a lot of sweet stuff is on the list of pre-op options. Starting Monday it will be Clear Liquids only, surgery is Thursday.

I am not a sweets person either. Are you allowed to have yogurt. I made a ranch dip with plain Greek yogurt and ranch dressing mix and ate that a couple spoonfuls at a time to satisfy the savory craving. If you are allowed raw veggies it’s an excellent veggie dip.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

I am not a sweets person either. Are you allowed to have yogurt. I made a ranch dip with plain Greek yogurt and ranch dressing mix and ate that a couple spoonfuls at a time to satisfy the savory craving. If you are allowed raw veggies it’s an excellent veggie dip.

I did the exact same thing! (I'm not "allowed" to do it on my diet- but I'm allowed some fat free dressing- so I figured this qualified) But it really helps, and I never used Ranch seasoning before. I'm mostly just not eating at all now. I can't keep the shakes down, so I'm drinking a lot of Water and coffee and broth. I'm awaiting word from my dietician on my Forager Cashew Milk/Isopure recipe for a homemade Protein Shake I can stomach with no sugar. I did try the Owyn shakes she recommended. They are truly, truly deeply vile. I thought I could deal after one mixed with three cups of coffee, but I really can't.

The thing that cracks me up about this process, is that these programs seem to all assume/are designed as though all overweight people have become that way because they/we all love eating Cheetos dipped in melted chocolate and drinking Big Gulps full of queso-topped Coke Slurpees with fluffernutter chasers. Some of us—perhaps even many of us—eat normal savory, natural foods like chicken and vegetables, don't eat out, and don't love drinking melted ice cream on the sly, and try to avoid chemicals in their foods. I do wish there was some kind of accommodation for these eating patterns. We can be fat people too! Unless I have it all wrong, and we are meant to train ourselves to crave a good melted ice cream chug and a handful of s'more dip as we learn "better eating habits" after surgery. I just find it funny.

Any tricks to getting down this Protein Water?

Edited by Bluebonnetgirl
Spelling

I separated it out into small bathroom cups that are a few oz each and try to drink 2 per hour. It’s a challenge