Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op 3yrs HELP MEEEE

Hey everyone!

I’m coming to ask out of desperation. I’m almost 3 years post op gastric sleeve (in July). I had my second child (the only post op child I have— my first was preop) in November 2020. Previous to pregnancy I had been maintaining a comfortable weight for myself and was so happy with where I was. I did great throughout the pregnancy and had only gained 25 pounds and then on week 37 my weight shot up SO fast.. to 44 pounds gained! Turns out I had to deliver immediately due to blood pressure (which I had never had an issue with in my entire life).

fast forward to two weeks postpartum I had lost 22 pounds. Great.. so 22 pounds to get back to my comfort weight. Easy peasy! NOT.

I’m now 6 months postpartum and STILL have 22 pounds to lose. I have been tracking my intake meticulously. I even bought a new food scale thinking maybe my old one was wrong. I measure in grams mostly. I am eating 1200-1400 calories a day (I’m not breast feeding). I’m making sure to get at least 10k steps a day. And I am losing the same 5 pounds over and over again!

I’ve tried basically eliminating carbs and intermittent fasting. I’ve tried adding more calories. I’ve tried eating less than 1200. And this dang weight is NOT budging. I don’t even know what else to do. It’s laughable at this point. If being meticulous and tracking every gram of food isn’t working— wtf is wrong with me?!

I do have a 3 year follow up with my bariatric team in July.. but I’d like to be closer to my maintenance weight by then so they don’t freak out on me 🙄.

has anyone experienced anything like this?

I should note: I DO have an autoimmune thyroid disease— but according to bloodwork, it’s in my normal range.

HALP!

yes. I gained 20 lbs after hitting bottom, and it's almost impossible to get it off. I think when you're at a normal BMI or only slightly over it, it's really tough to lose weight. And it's not just us WLS folks. I remember going to Weight Watchers meetings years ago and rolling my eyes at these normal weight or slightly overweight women b*tching and screaming at how hard it was to lose 10 lbs. Yea right, I'd think - try losing over 100! But now I totally get it.

I did lose 5 lbs last summer due to the fact (I think...) that I was biking 1-2 hours at least five days a week, but it came right back on when biking season ended. I honestly don't want to go back down to my lowest weight - I was too thin - but I'd love to lose 10 lbs. I'm starting to feel like one of those women I rolled my eyes at at Weight Watchers...

Hi there, I listen to a podcast called Half Size Me, which has changed the way I think about weight loss. One of the things I’d recommend is using the free Happy scale app, which gives you an average weight, so you can track even small decreases over time. Then focus on losing a pound a month - it will take you 2 years, but 2 years will pass and you’ll either be where you are now cycling the same 5 lbs, or 22 lbs less. It’s just about small, but consistent changes - so not giving up when it seems like the scale isn’t budging, since it might just be inching down. Good luck!

Are you breastfeeding? It’s really hard to lose while breastfeeding. I had my twins before surgery but I only gained 11 pounds with them and when I had them, my weight went down to the lowest it’s ever been.

But then with breastfeeding, it steadily climbed until I stopped. It’s counterintuitive bc you supposedly expel 300 calories a day breastfeeding but it made me insanely hungry and my body clung to the weight.

Thanks for responding!! I added that podcast to my list! Thank you!! I also ordered a complete hormonal blood and saliva panel. I somehow came upon a few things about estrogen dominance and I have almost all of the symptoms 🙄. Hopefully I get this all figured out soon because I feel like complete crud!

On 5/17/2021 at 11:48 AM, 123mollie said:

I do have a 3 year follow up with my bariatric team in July.. but I’d like to be closer to my maintenance weight by then so they don’t freak out on me 🙄.

Sorry I don't have any helpful advice on losing the weight, but I just wanted to say your bariatric team is there to help you. It is really common for pregnancy to cause weight gain, so you shouldn't be embarrassed about that! Especially since you've worked so hard to get back to your goal weight (but even if that wasn't the case, you have a new baby! cut yourself a break). I'm sure they've seen other people with similar issues, so I hope they are helpful.

It can take up to a year following the same diet you did pre-pregnancy in order for the weight to come off. I wouldn’t sweat it too much right now but continue to eat healthy and love yourself. When you go into your appointment in July explain to them that you’ve had a baby in the last year. I’m sure they’ll be understanding especially since it sounds like you developed preeclampsia toward the end of your pregnancy.

for some reason I didn't think of this before, but a 10-20 lb rebound gain after hitting your lowest weight is EXTREMELY common. It usually happens during year 3. Surgeons know this -- so they're almost certainly not going to get on your case!! This is probably what's going on. And what I said above is still true. It's ridiculously tough to lose 20 lbs when you're at - or slightly above - a normal BMI. Even for people who've never been overweight!

Thank you everyone! I think I’m worried and being harder on myself because I’m really NOT close to a normal BMI.

I'm 5’4”

lowest was 175

Maintenance was 185

so I had that 10 pound settling and was happy there. I was still able to enjoy my life and not obsess over my weight and food.

currently I’m sitting between 204-208 and I’m not comfortable here. 😫

I’m very anxious to meet with my docs so I can see what they think I should do. I know you all feel my frustration! Thank you for responding and reassuring me! It goes further than you know.