Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 06/16/2021 at 13:06, HulaBula said:

Hi, I’m scheduled for this Monday! Eeekk! I can relate about feeling alone. I’m isolating due to COVID restrictions my dr requires. So now I feel more isolated. Plus my husband is planning all these trips he’s going on by himself now that I won’t be able to travel so soon. I’m using this time to destress because I’m feeling anxious and my husband doesn’t understand how big a surgery this is for me.

Good luck to you on Monday!! I hope you’ll let us know how it goes!
The isolation is difficult… but once we get through this… I’m sure it will be worth it!!

Thank you!! Yes, I’m sure it’s a touch of nerves as well. I’ll keep talking! 😊

On 6/10/2021 at 11:20 PM, Chip L said:

hey everyone. The name is Chip. I hope you are all well
After years and two different states I finally received my gastric bypass on June first. I am having issues of buyers remorse I have read are very normal at this time so I’m looking forward to it going away. Not feeling hungry ever the last week and a half has been a new experience. My mind however just wants a big subway sandwich

Edited by Genieris Jorge

I know I need to be patient...

But I'm curious, for those a week out from their surgeries, have any of you lost weight yet? I haven't lost anything and I'm 8 days out.

I know my body is still in trauma and is healing, but I hear of people losing weight immediately. I guess I'm paranoid I'm doing something wrong lol.

15 hours ago, HulaBula said:

Congratulations! How are you doing today?

I got home about 9.30 last night (day after surgery), and slept happily in my own bed, just been having liquid paracetamol (I think you call it Tylenol). This morning I had: 6.15 Water, 7am Protein water, 8am oatibix (about 1/3 softened in milk), 9am Multivitamin drink. Going to try and eat something again at 10.

Walked for 2.5 mins on my treadmill and have retreated back to the sofa to cuddle the dog!

15 hours ago, HulaBula said:

Hi, I’m scheduled for this Monday! Eeekk! I can relate about feeling alone. I’m isolating due to COVID restrictions my dr requires. So now I feel more isolated. Plus my husband is planning all these trips he’s going on by himself now that I won’t be able to travel so soon. I’m using this time to destress because I’m feeling anxious and my husband doesn’t understand how big a surgery this is for me.

That's a shame :( i have only shared with one person why I was going into hospital, a few others knew I was in for surgery but I live alone and it can feel a very lonely time - especially isolating beforehand!

I distracted myself by doing lots of little jobs round the house I knew I wouldn't be able to do for a while, and rearranged some of the kitchen cupboards so I could definitely reach the tins and packets I can eat in the first few weeks out. I prepared a nice box on the kitchen counter with all my little things I could have in the first few days (protein Water, skimmed milk powder, my Vitamins, nice moisturiser, nail varnish) felt like I was making a Christmas hamper lol. I then packed a bag with comfy clothes that I could leave downstairs incase I needed in the first few days out. I tried to see all these things as a treat for myself, and that going through this whole process and operation is like my BIG DAY and I should get to Celebrate getting to spend the rest of my life with myself!

My DS was done June 1st. I did feel alone for the most part, especially at the hospital. My hubby has severe heart disease and uses oxygen so driving me to the hospital, waiting during the surgery and staying with me were totally out of the question. My coworker, who had the DS about 6 years ago, actually got up super early (had to be there by 5am) and drove me to the hospital and dropped me off. It was very hard being there by myself and I was very nervous preop and I admit a few tears slipped out. Fortunately, my anesthesiologist was wonderful…he’s a friend of another coworker and she contacted him ahead of time (weeks beforehand) and arranged for him to take my case! Awesome!!! He made sure I received something for anxiety right away and took great care of me. In fact, all the hospital staff were just phenomenal to me…made me proud that we all work for the same hospital system. My sister in law came and drove me home post op and stayed a few days. My son also was here and made sure I got all the broth I wanted/could tolerate. Both of them made sure my husband was well cared as well. He told me later he was so, so sorry he couldn’t be there with me. We’ve been married for 40 years and he’s still my sweetheart!

12 hours ago, Morachia said:

I know I need to be patient...

But I'm curious, for those a week out from their surgeries, have any of you lost weight yet? I haven't lost anything and I'm 8 days out.

I know my body is still in trauma and is healing, but I hear of people losing weight immediately. I guess I'm paranoid I'm doing something wrong lol.

I had my surgery June 8th, so I'm 9 days out. The last time I weighed myself was 2 days before surgery and I was 265, as of this morning I am 252 so have lost around 13 lbs in 9 days. That being said, I did not have to do a pre-op diet (I actually gained a little weight going up to surgery because I did some food funerals), and they sent me home on a pureed diet. So a good chunk of that, for me, is most likely Water weight.

Please don't compare yourself to others, I know that's easier said than done, but truly each surgeon, person, and plan is different. Some people hold in all the IV Fluid from the surgery for longer than others, some lose quicker, and so on. Just stick to the eating plan your surgeon provided and the weight will start coming off. If you're worried, you could also call your nurse/dietician/whatever resource your hospital has provided, and just check in. I'm sure they get a lot of similar questions.

Edited by SunnyinSC

13 minutes ago, BDL58 said:

My DS was done June 1st. I did feel alone for the most part, especially at the hospital. My hubby has severe heart disease and uses oxygen so driving me to the hospital, waiting during the surgery and staying with me were totally out of the question. My coworker, who had the DS about 6 years ago, actually got up super early (had to be there by 5am) and drove me to the hospital and dropped me off. It was very hard being there by myself and I was very nervous preop and I admit a few tears slipped out. Fortunately, my anesthesiologist was wonderful…he’s a friend of another coworker and she contacted him ahead of time (weeks beforehand) and arranged for him to take my case! Awesome!!! He made sure I received something for anxiety right away and took great care of me. In fact, all the hospital staff were just phenomenal to me…made me proud that we all work for the same hospital system. My sister in law came and drove me home post op and stayed a few days. My son also was here and made sure I got all the broth I wanted/could tolerate. Both of them made sure my husband was well cared as well. He told me later he was so, so sorry he couldn’t be there with me. We’ve been married for 40 years and he’s still my sweetheart!

That would have been scary! I am so glad you had some amazing coworkers who were able to make sure you were looked after. Sounds like a great hospital :)

Yes, the whole bariatric team snd the staff on the bariatric surgical unit have been wonderful. Plus, I do work with some amazing coworkers! My family is very supportive though they are kinda clueless about WLS and all that is involved, but they are at least trying to learn. I’m truly blessed!

I was feeling great after surgery. I seem to have a slight set back. I’ve been pushing my self a little to hard. I am currently still on full liquids. I have another 5 days before I move on to purée.