Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 29!! Exactly 2 weeks away!

I am so ready to take the next step on this journey! I start my pre-op liquid diet on Saturday.... I'm a little nervous about that, but overall I am so excited.

I do have a question - even with your supportive friends and family - did (or do) you feel a little bit alone in the process? I'm not sure how to explain it, I'm hoping people going through it (ie. all of you) will underatand what I mean.

Good luck everyone!!!

On 6/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, Somber said:

How's everyone doing?
I'm scheduled for June 21st, so it's getting close now... Popping by the clinic tomorrow to meet the doctors, nutritionist etc.

I guess the majority of the members on this forum is from the US, and I read somewhere that the average costs in the US is 23 k, is that true?? Do you always have to finance it yourself?

I have the same surgery date! I’m doing the DS and insurance will not cover it so it’s $15,000 USD. I just paid for it yesterday. Ouch! Most ins covers it, but I don’t have traditional ins.
which surgery are you having?

Hello everyone! Had my surgery this morning, was back in my room 11.50, now 22.15 (UK time).

First few hours were very sore but I followed advice and started taking teeny tiny sips, and got up with the Healthcare assistant when I could, to move some of the pressure. Just a little wander round the room! The staff so far have been great. This evening I've got a peppermint tea which I'm just periodically sipping (so small a sip I'm basically letting it wet my lips). Thank god for all the people on here recommending to bring lipbalm, headphones and your own pilow! I've been listening to Glenda Cedarleaf sleep meditations, and feel quite chill despite the chaos going on outside my door.

Only pain now is in my back and shoulders.

3 hours ago, MAMAM513 said:

I am so ready to take the next step on this journey! I start my pre-op liquid diet on Saturday.... I'm a little nervous about that, but overall I am so excited.

I do have a question - even with your supportive friends and family - did (or do) you feel a little bit alone in the process? I'm not sure how to explain it, I'm hoping people going through it (ie. all of you) will underatand what I mean.

Good luck everyone!!!

I think I know what you mean. I've told a select few people about the surgery, and while the people I have told have been supportive, it does still feel kind of lonely in the journey. Mainly because none of the people in that circle of friends and family have struggled through the weight issues I have. Most of them have managed their weight without much issue. Even my husband has a normal relationship with food. So in that sense I don't feel I have any actual people I can relate to in my life. That being said, I have been seeing a bariatric therapist and that has helped cause I feel like I can talk to her about the things my family or friends wouldn't necessarily understand.

28 minutes ago, SunnyinSC said:

I think I know what you mean. I've told a select few people about the surgery, and while the people I have told have been supportive, it does still feel kind of lonely in the journey. Mainly because none of the people in that circle of friends and family have struggled through the weight issues I have. Most of them have managed their weight without much issue. Even my husband has a normal relationship with food. So in that sense I don't feel I have any actual people I can relate to in my life. That being said, I have been seeing a bariatric therapist and that has helped cause I feel like I can talk to her about the things my family or friends wouldn't necessarily understand.

Yes! Exactly. Everyone is great so I hate even saying I feel alone in it.... maybe the way you are saying it makes more sense, no one can relate. Thank you!! I think I will look into a bariatric therapist... that sounds like a good idea. Thanks so much for responding!

On 6/13/2021 at 12:24 PM, Somber said:

How's everyone doing?
I'm scheduled for June 21st, so it's getting close now... Popping by the clinic tomorrow to meet the doctors, nutritionist etc.

I guess the majority of the members on this forum is from the US, and I read somewhere that the average costs in the US is 23 k, is that true?? Do you always have to finance it yourself?

I only paid $100 and that was it. lol. My insurance covered pretty much everything.

On 4/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, Morachia said:

After a long six months, I finally received my surgery date for Wednesday June 9th. I'm absolutely thrilled! Anyone else joining me in June?

Good luck!! I just had mine June 7th. I'm doing pretty good. Only thing I will tell you. After surgery make sure to get out of bed. The gas pain is the worst. Do walking helps 100%. Be well 🤗 Darcie

10 hours ago, YAY Kylie said:

Less than 2 weeks to go!!! Monday June 28th :)

Congrats!! The next two weeks will fly by!!

I am scheduled for the 29th!

20 hours ago, HulaBula said:

I have the same surgery date! I’m doing the DS and insurance will not cover it so it’s $15,000 USD. I just paid for it yesterday. Ouch! Most ins covers it, but I don’t have traditional ins.
which surgery are you having?

We're surgery date twins then! :) I'm doing a gastric bypass, are you doing a duodenal switch?

2 minutes ago, Somber said:

We're surgery date twins then! :) I'm doing a gastric bypass, are you doing a duodenal switch?

Yay! Yes a duodenal switch. How’s your pre-op diet going? I went shopping the other day and I was so tempted with all the Snacks. That’s my weakness. But then I remembered my blood test results and I kept walking.

19 hours ago, Shrink&Grow said:

Hello everyone! Had my surgery this morning, was back in my room 11.50, now 22.15 (UK time).

First few hours were very sore but I followed advice and started taking teeny tiny sips, and got up with the Healthcare assistant when I could, to move some of the pressure. Just a little wander round the room! The staff so far have been great. This evening I've got a peppermint tea which I'm just periodically sipping (so small a sip I'm basically letting it wet my lips). Thank god for all the people on here recommending to bring lipbalm, headphones and your own pilow! I've been listening to Glenda Cedarleaf sleep meditations, and feel quite chill despite the chaos going on outside my door.

Only pain now is in my back and shoulders.

Congratulations! How are you doing today?

21 hours ago, MAMAM513 said:

Good luck everyone!!!

Hi, I’m scheduled for this Monday! Eeekk! I can relate about feeling alone. I’m isolating due to COVID restrictions my dr requires. So now I feel more isolated. Plus my husband is planning all these trips he’s going on by himself now that I won’t be able to travel so soon. I’m using this time to destress because I’m feeling anxious and my husband doesn’t understand how big a surgery this is for me.