Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 minutes ago, Dave In Houston said:

I'm on traditional Medicare, and they pay almost everything. It's very easy to get approval, too.

That's great! :)

2 hours ago, Somber said:

How's everyone doing?
I'm scheduled for June 21st, so it's getting close now... Popping by the clinic tomorrow to meet the doctors, nutritionist etc.

I guess the majority of the members on this forum is from the US, and I read somewhere that the average costs in the US is 23 k, is that true?? Do you always have to finance it yourself?

I've got Cigna Health Insurance and they have exclusions specifically for weight loss related stuff (even prescriptions). Doesn't make sense to me, but it is what it is. It does mean I paid out of pocket though. The surgery itself was around $19.5k. That said, insurance also does not cover any of the pre-op or post-op care appointments either. I think we're already up around 23k total paid if you include surgery and appointments. Then it's usually a good $500-$600 per appointment at the hospital if it involves seeing the surgeon. Little less if it's a registered nurse. And less again if it's the dietician. So the number will steadily increase over time with follow up visits.

Edited by SunnyinSC

6 hours ago, Idk91 said:

Do you have a dietitian or anyone you can check in with as that’s a little odd. I’ve done this diet twice and both time have lost weight. My surgery is tomorrow and I’m currently down 9kg from 2 weeks of LRD. I would reach out to the team who is in charge of your surgery and see what advice they have.

Good luck to you tomorrow and congratulations on your new healthy life :)

3 hours ago, Chip L said:

Good luck to you tomorrow and congratulations on your new healthy life :)

Thank you! Morning jitters have set in but I’m very excited too!

3 minutes ago, dlmorris80 said:

How is everyone doing post- op? I’m struggling!

As you can see from my post a few days ago I was struggling. It’s going much better. I don’t feel like I ruined my life anymore. Maybe cause I’m about to move to purée. As you get to enjoy more foods you tend to feel better.

I hope your struggles are all head based like mine. Head hunger can be so hard. If you’re having physical pain or complications I’m so sorry you’re hurting. But know that it will get better. Don’t give up on yourself. You’re stronger than your head let’s you think. :)

17 minutes ago, Chip L said:

As you can see from my post a few days ago I was struggling. It’s going much better. I don’t feel like I ruined my life anymore. Maybe cause I’m about to move to purée. As you get to enjoy more foods you tend to feel better.

I hope your struggles are all head based like mine. Head hunger can be so hard. If you’re having physical pain or complications I’m so sorry you’re hurting. But know that it will get better. Don’t give up on yourself. You’re stronger than your head let’s you think. :)

So glad to hear that you're feeling better Chip! :)

45 minutes ago, Somber said:

So glad to hear that you're feeling better Chip! :)

Thank you :) that’s so sweet :)

On 6/4/2021 at 12:57 PM, nikki19rl said:

I am having a revision from sleeve to bypass June 14th. I started my pre-op diet Sunday and it's not too bad. I'm starting to get nervous though. Not looking forward to having to do this all over AGAIN.. I had my sleeve done in Oct 2017, and it hasn't been a fun ride since. I hope this time it turns out better. I am ready to get it over with 🤨😬.. . Wish everyone luck and a speedy recovery..

Sending you lots of love today! I hope your revision goes well!

21 hours ago, Somber said:

How's everyone doing?
I'm scheduled for June 21st, so it's getting close now... Popping by the clinic tomorrow to meet the doctors, nutritionist etc.

I guess the majority of the members on this forum is from the US, and I read somewhere that the average costs in the US is 23 k, is that true?? Do you always have to finance it yourself?

Had surgery on the 9th. I have Anthem Blue Cross and had to pay $3,111. Plus the Vitamins, pre-op diet and the dietitian appts for the 6 months pre-op. Which, probably comes to another $1000?

15 hours ago, CharismaticGlam said:

Mine was June 2nd as well!!! Do you feel full at all drinking the liquids? I’m having a hard time noticing my signs of fullnesss.

You absolutely are not alone. I'm really struggling to figure out this new pouch. The only time I feel full is when I have to take my medications (which they told me to take them normally). Its brutal and takes about 10 minutes where I used to be able to do it in 30 seconds lol. Trying to get my 64oz of Water in and 3 Protein Shakes a day. Its a little bit difficult. I hope it will be easier to differentiate our fullness once we hit puree and soft foods.

I know that I made the right choice by doing this surgery. I thought about it for years and went through 7 months of preparation. But I did experience some buyers remorse last night. I think I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all - I did pull a muscle in my shoulder a day before surgery and that hurts more than anything my surgeon did so its hard to really gauge my pain right now. I feel like I studied and really self reflected leading up to all of this but somehow, I feel that I'm underprepared. I'm sure this feeling will go away with time. I've also stalled...which logically I know its fine, because I'm healing but then the worry sets in, am I doing anything wrong? Its way too easy to slip into comparing your journey to others. We all move at our own pace.

And then my birthday is tomorrow. Kinda sucks feeling so low on such a milestone birthday, but I'm sure once I recover, things will be good. Don't mean to have a pity party lol, I guess I'm just all up in my feelings at the moment. I'm super proud of all of us though. Its not an easy journey.

I had DS on 6/1/21. I’m doing great now though the first week was rough. My employer health insurance covers one WLS for life so mine was covered except for deductibles: $250 for the preop EGD; $50 for the Cardiac clearance; $40 each for the Nutritionist and the Psychologist; $40 for the surgeon office visit; $140 surgeons fee; and $250 for the hospital stay.