Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just decided I want to get the surgery and I know for my insurance it says a 6 month program is required, so wondering if the past well over 6 months working with a primary care dr on weight loss will count, or if I have to start over? I'm in Wisconsin and I'm on state health care but only because of the pandemic. So as soon as the governor decides to kick us off who are over the income limit, I will not have insurance, so I'm very concerned about having to wait 6 months.

I’m in California and I had to do the 6 months no matter who I was working with and seeing before that. Insurance wants specific dates and if you miss one it starts over again..... try and call the insurance and see what they’ll let you do if you can submit proof with your dr?

7 hours ago, alilovesib said:

I just decided I want to get the surgery and I know for my insurance it says a 6 month program is required, so wondering if the past well over 6 months working with a primary care dr on weight loss will count, or if I have to start over? I'm in Wisconsin and I'm on state health care but only because of the pandemic. So as soon as the governor decides to kick us off who are over the income limit, I will not have insurance, so I'm very concerned about having to wait 6 months.

Different insurances have different rules mine required working with a bariatric doctor for weight loss. Mini me in TN required her to work with her primary care doctor( she’s on YouTube).

7 hours ago, alilovesib said:

it depends on the insurance. Mine accepted any well-documented professionally-supervised plan of six months (or more) as long as it happened within the previous two years.

I am in Wisconsin and in badgercare as well. I believe you have to be in a weight management program for at least 6 months.

Where in Wisconsin are you from/ where would you go for surgery?

I started the process through SSM Health Weight Management in November and will be having my surgery August 20.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, alf17 said:

I am in Wisconsin and in badgercare as well. I believe you have to be in a weight management program for at least 6 months.

Where in Wisconsin are you from/ where would you go for surgery?

I started the process through SSM Health Weight Management in November and will be having my surgery August 20.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, I started in April with my primary care Dr and I'm done with the 6 months in September. I'm going to Froedert in Milwaukee. My last visit with their dietician is September 1st and they will submit it to my insurance...hopefully my surgery will be in November...I wanted it to be in October but they said that it will probably take longer. I just cannot wait!! Good luck to you!

All insurance is different. Mine accepted medical records from another doctor prior to satisfy part of the required visits. That’s a question for the bariatric coordinator I believe. Ooh, and it’s six visits not six months (at least it was for mine) so that only takes five months from your first visit. Hopefully that will help. I had one visit with my primary doctor that qualified so I had to do 5 visits taking 4.5 months from first appointment to surgery date.

Edited by ShoppGirl