Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quick Question About Full Liquid Stage POST OP

So , one of the items listed as allowed during my Post Op FULL liquid phase they have listed is:

Blended Bean Soups (black bean or lentil)

Now, wouldn't a blended up black bean or lentil Soup be more of a pureed type food? I can't imagine either being very liquidy. They also list "Strained Low Fat Cream Soups (made w/milk, cream of broccoli, cream of potato, cream of chicken or tomato)." Now, every cream soup I've ever come across is THICK and doesn't seem easily able to be strained. Then again I'm thinking of preparing them right from the can with no added milk or Water. I guess they mean add milk first then strain it?

Also, do you have a black bean and/or lentil soup suggestion for this phase? Or any other soups that would work?

Or any other FULL LIQUID suggestion other than the typical waters (flavored or otherwise), teas (caffeine free of course), coffee (caffeine free of course), fat free puddings and jellos, and Light Yogurts? Looking for stuff I may not have thought of.

Thanks a million! Trying to gather a shopping list for AFTER surgery.

They definitely mean after you add milk or Water to the Soup. It gets much thinner when mixed. You have to strain it to get the “chunks” out. For instance the cream of chicken has like 3 or 4 small chunks of chicken in it that you have to get out.

One thing you didn’t mention is clear Protein Drinks. I got Premier Protein fruit punch flavor and they weren’t bad but there are tons of them out there. Try not to stock up on too much that someone else In your house won’t eat though if you can avoid it. Especially sweet stuff. For some reason sweet stuff tastes different to many of us post surgery and you don’t want to be stuck with a bunch of expensive shakes or waters that you don’t like after surgery. I have two boxes of Protein Shakes from Amazon that I can’t drink now and I am two months out and still don’t like them post surgery.

16 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

They definitely mean after you add milk or Water to the Soup. It gets much thinner when mixed. You have to strain it to get the “chunks” out. For instance the cream of chicken has like 3 or 4 small chunks of chicken in it that you have to get out.

One thing you didn’t mention is clear Protein Drinks. I got Premier Protein fruit punch flavor and they weren’t bad but there are tons of them out there. Try not to stock up on too much that someone else In your house won’t eat though if you can avoid it. Especially sweet stuff. For some reason sweet stuff tastes different to many of us post surgery and you don’t want to be stuck with a bunch of expensive shakes or waters that you don’t like after surgery. I have two boxes of Protein Shakes from Amazon that I can’t drink now and I am two months out and still don’t like them post surgery.

Thanks. Yeah I do have Protein waters and shakes on hand too. Tried a few different ones that I sorta stocked up on but not too crazy in the event that I no longer like them. The good thing is I had my husband try them too so whatever I no longer like he will take care of for me. LOL

So, do you have any input on the bean Soups they mentioned? I figured the cream soups I had to add milk or Water but those "blended" bean soups they mentioned have me baffled.

Prep the Soups as per the instructions on the can/packet then add additional stock, Water or milk to thin the soups you feel are still a little thick after blending. Cream may be too rich & fatty post surgery. Strain them well too after blending. I found those little plastic teas strainers the best cause they’re finer. You can pour liquids but if it dollops it’s probably too thick.

Your tummy is pretty fussy after surgery so it may not enjoy some of the soups. It’ll likely be a bit of trial & error.

I ate Soup every day in my liquid stage. I found Protein Shakes very unpalatable - grainy & far too sweet - one shake a day was all I could barely tolerate.

I was told no yoghurt until purée stage as it’s too thick. I loved drinking yoghurt which I had regularly from purée stage on. It was a little thick so I used to dilute it with a splash of juice. You can also use milk to dilute it as well.

You can probably also have Bone Broth, which is high Protein broth, but check with your surgery center because it has a fair amount of fat in it. I haven't had surgery yet but I've bought some in preparation.

Thanks guys! I do have some Bone Broth at the ready for that stage too because it has so much more Protein than regular broth.

As for the yogurt, yeah not sure but it's on the list (plain, vanilla or lemon). As are those bean Soups that are to be blended. That still has me baffled.