Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I have a lap band and am seriously considering revision to gastric bypass. With the lap band, I have by far the most restriction with my first meal of the day. If I’m going to get stuck, overly full, or throw up, it’s almost always with Breakfast which can set off a chain reaction throughout the day.

I know the surgeries are very different, so I’m curious if people with bypass notice differences in their ability to tolerate food throughout the day.

Thanks!

I don't notice a difference in what I can TOLERATE at different times of the day, but I'm rarely hungry in the morning, whereas I have a huge urge to snack in the late afternoon (for some people, evening is their big problem time). So anyway, I have no problem at all staying on plan before like 3:00 or 4:00 pm - after that, it's a challenge (I'm a few years out, though)

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

(for some people, evening is their big problem time).

Yep, that's me. It's not a matter of being hungry; it's more that the urge to snack becomes stronger in the evening when I'm watching TV. (It was the same before surgery, I should add.). I think it's basically psychological and not physiological.

7 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

I think it's basically psychological and not physiological.

I think so, too

5 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Yep, that's me. It's not a matter of being hungry; it's more that the urge to snack becomes stronger in the evening when I'm watching TV. (It was the same before surgery, I should add.). I think it's basically psychological and not physiological.

Yes, i believe it's psychological

I get hungrier as the day goes on and thus tend to eat more in the afternoon and evening. If I am busy I can skip eating until noon fairly easily.

However, as I eat during the day even though the food empties from your stomach fairly quickly I can't eat a lot if I ate something 30-60 min prior. So if I am prepping dinner and ate a serving of yogurt and fruit or a Fiber bar then within an hour if it's time to eat dinner I can only manage a few bites of dinner. If I did that first thing in the morning I would be able to eat and then eat again in 45-60 minutes.

I am fine up until around 630 p.m. then the urge to snack hits. I try to drink more fluids but because fluids move through me incredibly fast (i had a barium swallow test) that it doesnt help much and Im up and down to the bathroom constantly. But I have found that sucking on strong flavored SF mints or SF cinnamon discs by Brachs, does the trick. So does brushing my teeth. It can often times help me to stray away from wanting to snack later in the evening. And now that sunset is 8 p.m., I go for a walk for an hour and Im focused on doing something, out of the house and away from temptation.

I had Lapband surgery 2008 and went from 322 down to 148…. seemed like I could never eat first thing in the morning or at least until about 9:30 or 10. I just had my gastric bypass revision 4/13 after having my band removed 12/1/20 due to esophagus erosion from severe acid reflux from my band and so far no issues with eating… not feeling hunger currently and have reminders set for when it’s time to eat

Edited by JaleeHaas
Typo

On 5/10/2021 at 7:33 AM, catwoman7 said:

I don't notice a difference in what I can TOLERATE at different times of the day, but I'm rarely hungry in the morning, whereas I have a huge urge to snack in the late afternoon (for some people, evening is their big problem time). So anyway, I have no problem at all staying on plan before like 3:00 or 4:00 pm - after that, it's a challenge (I'm a few years out, though)

I am the same that’s why I do intermittent fasting. I eat from 12pm-8pm.