Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did revision due to weight gain actually work for you?

Hello! It’s been a long time since I’ve been on these boards! I was sleeved in 2011 and am now scheduled for revision to MGB in June.

my question is directed to those of you who chose revision due to weight gain, not because of GERD, not that I don’t appreciate the view points of you all who revised due to GERD but because I really want to hear form folks whose primary reason for revision was to address weight regain.

i am almost back up to my highest weight pre sleeve and I see such mixed results. What has your experience if you had revision to actually lose weight? Was it worth the expense? Did you get the results you were hoping for?

Edited by JulieCab

So I did have revision surgery sleeve to bypass. I’ll be honest and say straight up I did have it to help with my GERD. (Which I no longer have symptoms of) however also for weight loss! My highest weight (before sleeve) was 120kg. I got down to 90kg lowest however regained back up to 110kg. I am now 6 months post revision surgery and I am now down to my lowest ever of 80kg! I am so happy with my revision surgery and am happy with my results so far. Although my loss is a little slower this time around, I am sticking to my plan and weight is consistently moving downwards. No regrets.
All the best to you :)

I am near 2 months out from Bypass to bypass revision. Weight loss is slower this time around, but I'm actually glad of it. It is consistent and manageable- I feel good. My Vitamin levels have been stable - a million times better than after my original bypass. I have a long way to go yet, but so far, worth it.

I had a failed sleeve - I did drop about 60 lbs with it but then started to gain. It was so stretched out. I lost a further 50 lbs with bypass. I’m now looking to do a distal to help shed the remainder of this weight I just can’t get off.

Froufrou, was the doctor able to tell you how stretched it was ? That is something I am curious about. I really think perhaps DS would be better for me, but because of reflux issues I’m not sure I will be able to.

I am 2 months out from revision from VSG to RNY and I am happy with the results so far. I lost around 180lbs but I never got down to my goal weight the first time and then had some Gerd that never went away. 7 years and a baby later I gained little less than half back and still had GERD and acid reflux... So I had it done for both reasons. I am down about 33lbs since surgery

Edited by nbw1220

On 05/10/2021 at 20:32, JulieCab said:

Froufrou, was the doctor able to tell you how stretched it was ? That is something I am curious about. I really think perhaps DS would be better for me, but because of reflux issues I’m not sure I will be able to.

He didn’t give me figures but the gastroenterologist said he was surprised I lost any weight at all. The stretching came from all of the stents they tried to place (about 4 until they went in and SEWED one in place!). I don’t think there is any stretch this time round.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:23 PM, nbw1220 said:

I am 2 months out from revision from VSG to RNY and I am happy with the results so far. I lost around 180lbs but I never got down to my goal weight the first time and then had some Gerd that never went away. 7 years and a baby later I gained little less than half back and still had GERD and acid reflux... So I had it done for both reasons. I am down about 33lbs since surgery

Are most people with a hernia and GERD approved for a revision?

I had the sleeve in 2013 at 274 and my lowest was 170. I regained to 260 in 2017. I mainly wanted a revision for the weight gain but I too have Gerd and I didn’t know at the time it was caused by the sleeve. I thought it was normal to have heart burn. I’ve gotten back down to 233 in the summer last year 2020. I am currently I’m at 255. I’m having my revision to the RNY in about 5 hours but I’ll let you know how it goes with the weight loss.

9 hours ago, StratusPhr said:

Are most people with a hernia and GERD approved for a revision?

Yes

5 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

Yes

I was up at 2:30 AM sipping (3 sips will do it) a carbonated drink because of chest pain. This has been going on since about 18 months after sleeve surgery. (June 2010!!!) I had NO idea this was a hiatal hernia symptom. My NP (when I finally said something a couple of years later) called it non cardiac chest pain, said I was having spasms. Medication prescribed did not help at all. I finally stopped and tried what a friend told me to do. Take a few sips of a carbonated drink. I resisted because I don't drink anything carbonated since before surgery. It worked and I keep something in the frig at all times. I hope this new doctor who is familiar with bariatric patients, will help me and insurance will cover it. Thank you and good luck!!!

5 hours ago, meressa said:

I had the sleeve in 2013 at 274 and my lowest was 170. I regained to 260 in 2017. I mainly wanted a revision for the weight gain but I too have Gerd and I didn’t know at the time it was caused by the sleeve. I thought it was normal to have heart burn. I’ve gotten back down to 233 in the summer last year 2020. I am currently I’m at 255. I’m having my revision to the RNY in about 5 hours but I’ll let you know how it goes with the weight loss.

Please keep us posted on this new journey!!! Prayers for an uneventful recovery!!!