Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VET Looking for Buddies and Pen Pals!

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster (I think, LOL!)! October 2021 will make seven years since I've had VSG. At my highest I weighed 314, on my day of surgery I weight 290, and at my lowest I weighed 157. I've had a significant amount of regain to say the least (I won't go into the whole sob story). I ballooned up to 242, and decided back in December to get my ass back into gear. I'm now 223. My short term goal is to get back to onederland, as per my username. I would like to be 175-180 by my surgiversary, and mu ultimate goal weight is to be able to maintain within a range of 150-160. I think one of my biggest mistakes along my journey was not really plugging into the WLS community, and meeting other people going through what I'm going through. So, I really want to create a support group full of other bariatric patients. I'm looking for online buddies and pen pals and hopefully we can connect and encourage and uplift one another, and keep each other accountable. Let me know if you are interested!

Hi, your story sounds a little like mine! I am 8 years out, had great success, and then life got in my way, too. My highest was 325, and I was 306 on the day of my surgery. I’ve been struggling for the last 3-4 years to get back to goal, but the truth is that I am hanging around 215, and I need to be at 175 (my lowest was 160, but it was shockingly thin on me). Anyway, over The winter I ballooned up to 132, and in the last 10 weeks I’ve lost down to 212. My first goal is 199, and then 185, and then we will go from there.

I even went to my surgeon to see about a revision, which he will do. For the moment I’ve decided against it because as long as I restrict my eating, I don’t have as much trouble with reflex, and clearly, I can lose weight. I just don’t want another surgery if I can avoid it. The hard reality for me is that I have to remain ever vigilant and keep my calories consistently 1000-1100 for slow loss, and more like 900 to see the scale move at 1-2 pounds per week.

I would love to connect with you and support each other, and anyone else who wants to join in!

3 hours ago, MichiganChic said:

Hi, your story sounds a little like mine! I am 8 years out, had great success, and then life got in my way, too. My highest was 325, and I was 306 on the day of my surgery. I’ve been struggling for the last 3-4 years to get back to goal, but the truth is that I am hanging around 215, and I need to be at 175 (my lowest was 160, but it was shockingly thin on me). Anyway, over The winter I ballooned up to 132, and in the last 10 weeks I’ve lost down to 212. My first goal is 199, and then 185, and then we will go from there.

I even went to my surgeon to see about a revision, which he will do. For the moment I’ve decided against it because as long as I restrict my eating, I don’t have as much trouble with reflex, and clearly, I can lose weight. I just don’t want another surgery if I can avoid it. The hard reality for me is that I have to remain ever vigilant and keep my calories consistently 1000-1100 for slow loss, and more like 900 to see the scale move at 1-2 pounds per week.

I would love to connect with you and support each other, and anyone else who wants to join in!

Hi! Thank you for responding! I'd love to connect with you!

3 hours ago, MichiganChic said:

I'm the old lady of the group. I had roux n y long limb bypass in 1997. My original weight was 306 and my lowest weight has been 136. I have regained and lost many times in the years that followed. I currently weigh 159 and my goal is 150..I find I lose weight quickly if I follow the surgeons diet guidelines. Twice I have gained to over 200 pounds and had to put the work in to lose it. I get lazy and decide to eat what I want with the exception of high fat and high sugar foods which gives me dumping syndrome. My first suggestion is too start with seeking your physician's advice. They are the experts. I understand what you mean about support. Only my children and siblings know that I ever had the surgery so it's difficult to really get support and understanding. Most people think the surgery is the easy way out because they just don't know how hard it is. Every support group I've even participated in have been more geared to people and immediate post op support. I definitely understand how gut wrenching the regain is especially when the surgery is so hard in the first place. I'm very open to share my experience and current struggles with you. We seem to be in the same mind space. Good fortune. To you.

I would like to say hello to everyone. I had my weight loss surgery on May 15, 2018, and 3 years out. So I was looking to find some WLS vets to talk to for inspiration

I'm happy to join in too. I'm 7 yrs post op. Had some regain at 18 months post op. Went Keto and lost regain plus some, but have fizzled out and STILL have 25 lbs to go until ultimate goal as current BMI is around 30 (need to change my profile info still).

I remain on a tight diet and am essentially still keto, but I'm considering putting Keto to the back burner and focusing more on high protein-low carb-lower fat which is more of a 'bariatric' type diet long term. I am desperate to make the scale move in the next 3-4 weeks and see some good losses.

I will ALWAYS identify as a bariatric patient and sadly this will be a lifelong battle for me. But I have all the tools I need. I actually just spoke to a NP today from my clinic to suggested I start FIERCE tracking which I haven't done in about 6 years.

Me too! I'm only 20 months out but could really use some connection and support. I can feel myself going offtrack with diet and exercise and would love to get back into control before I regain.

Heighest weight: 333

Surgery weight: 292

Current weight: Around 160 --- a few lbs in either direction

I'm four years into my journey and like many here I too experience the same trials and tribulations of bariatric weight loss life. I'm a strong proponent of support groups as I had to form my own (with friends/family0 who have had WLS. It has helped me and I hope them immensely. Just by offering a tip on a method to help really makes all the difference in our success.