Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VET Looking for Buddies and Pen Pals!

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster (I think, LOL!)! October 2021 will make seven years since I've had VSG. At my highest I weighed 314, on my day of surgery I weight 290, and at my lowest I weighed 157. I've had a significant amount of regain to say the least (I won't go into the whole sob story). I ballooned up to 242, and decided back in December to get my ass back into gear. I'm now 223. My short term goal is to get back to onederland, as per my username. I would like to be 175-180 by my surgiversary, and mu ultimate goal weight is to be able to maintain within a range of 150-160. I think one of my biggest mistakes along my journey was not really plugging into the WLS community, and meeting other people going through what I'm going through. So, I really want to create a support group full of other bariatric patients. I'm looking for online buddies and pen pals and hopefully we can connect and encourage and uplift one another, and keep each other accountable. Let me know if you are interested!

Hi, your story sounds a little like mine! I am 8 years out, had great success, and then life got in my way, too. My highest was 325, and I was 306 on the day of my surgery. I’ve been struggling for the last 3-4 years to get back to goal, but the truth is that I am hanging around 215, and I need to be at 175 (my lowest was 160, but it was shockingly thin on me). Anyway, over The winter I ballooned up to 132, and in the last 10 weeks I’ve lost down to 212. My first goal is 199, and then 185, and then we will go from there.

I even went to my surgeon to see about a revision, which he will do. For the moment I’ve decided against it because as long as I restrict my eating, I don’t have as much trouble with reflex, and clearly, I can lose weight. I just don’t want another surgery if I can avoid it. The hard reality for me is that I have to remain ever vigilant and keep my calories consistently 1000-1100 for slow loss, and more like 900 to see the scale move at 1-2 pounds per week.

I would love to connect with you and support each other, and anyone else who wants to join in!

3 hours ago, MichiganChic said:

Hi, your story sounds a little like mine! I am 8 years out, had great success, and then life got in my way, too. My highest was 325, and I was 306 on the day of my surgery. I’ve been struggling for the last 3-4 years to get back to goal, but the truth is that I am hanging around 215, and I need to be at 175 (my lowest was 160, but it was shockingly thin on me). Anyway, over The winter I ballooned up to 132, and in the last 10 weeks I’ve lost down to 212. My first goal is 199, and then 185, and then we will go from there.

I even went to my surgeon to see about a revision, which he will do. For the moment I’ve decided against it because as long as I restrict my eating, I don’t have as much trouble with reflex, and clearly, I can lose weight. I just don’t want another surgery if I can avoid it. The hard reality for me is that I have to remain ever vigilant and keep my calories consistently 1000-1100 for slow loss, and more like 900 to see the scale move at 1-2 pounds per week.

I would love to connect with you and support each other, and anyone else who wants to join in!

Hi! Thank you for responding! I'd love to connect with you!

3 hours ago, MichiganChic said:

I'm the old lady of the group. I had roux n y long limb bypass in 1997. My original weight was 306 and my lowest weight has been 136. I have regained and lost many times in the years that followed. I currently weigh 159 and my goal is 150..I find I lose weight quickly if I follow the surgeons diet guidelines. Twice I have gained to over 200 pounds and had to put the work in to lose it. I get lazy and decide to eat what I want with the exception of high fat and high sugar foods which gives me dumping syndrome. My first suggestion is too start with seeking your physician's advice. They are the experts. I understand what you mean about support. Only my children and siblings know that I ever had the surgery so it's difficult to really get support and understanding. Most people think the surgery is the easy way out because they just don't know how hard it is. Every support group I've even participated in have been more geared to people and immediate post op support. I definitely understand how gut wrenching the regain is especially when the surgery is so hard in the first place. I'm very open to share my experience and current struggles with you. We seem to be in the same mind space. Good fortune. To you.

I would like to say hello to everyone. I had my weight loss surgery on May 15, 2018, and 3 years out. So I was looking to find some WLS vets to talk to for inspiration

I'm happy to join in too. I'm 7 yrs post op. Had some regain at 18 months post op. Went Keto and lost regain plus some, but have fizzled out and STILL have 25 lbs to go until ultimate goal as current BMI is around 30 (need to change my profile info still).

I remain on a tight diet and am essentially still keto, but I'm considering putting Keto to the back burner and focusing more on high protein-low carb-lower fat which is more of a 'bariatric' type diet long term. I am desperate to make the scale move in the next 3-4 weeks and see some good losses.

I will ALWAYS identify as a bariatric patient and sadly this will be a lifelong battle for me. But I have all the tools I need. I actually just spoke to a NP today from my clinic to suggested I start FIERCE tracking which I haven't done in about 6 years.

Me too! I'm only 20 months out but could really use some connection and support. I can feel myself going offtrack with diet and exercise and would love to get back into control before I regain.

Heighest weight: 333

Surgery weight: 292

Current weight: Around 160 --- a few lbs in either direction

I'm four years into my journey and like many here I too experience the same trials and tribulations of bariatric weight loss life. I'm a strong proponent of support groups as I had to form my own (with friends/family0 who have had WLS. It has helped me and I hope them immensely. Just by offering a tip on a method to help really makes all the difference in our success.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches