Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The weight loss is so much slower than I expected

I guess I'm just venting. Before surgery, I would read people's comments/concerns of "what if it doesn't work for me? what if I can't lose?" and think... of course you're going to lose! You've had your stomach mostly or entirely removed and you're eating a small fraction of what you used to! But now, I get it...

I'm about 5.5 weeks post op - in total I've lost almost 40 pounds, but that includes close to 20 pounds in the pre-op liquid diet. In the last 30 days I have only lost about 10 pounds. I never expected to lose 20 pounds a week (I was only about 100 pounds overweight going into surgery) but I did expect to lose more than this. I get more than my daily Water intake, all of my Protein, take my Vitamins, I eat a variety of foods and usually hover around 500-600 cals a day, low to no carb... I do the peloton now that I can exercise 3-4 times a week with strength training and I walk 10,000+ steps a day. Over the last week I have gained 1 pound.

I know I know I know that its not based on the scale, to look at my NSVs, and to keep my eyes on the prize long term. But I also feel like I have been able to lose more weight than this on my own in the past. I know it wasn't long term and I couldn't sustain it, but when I think about all of the prep I did, how sick I was, the sacrifices that I have made and how hard I have worked and am working, its easy to feel defeated. I expected to lose at least 15+ pounds a month for the first few months at least, not just hover on these constant plateaus. I'm worried about when I am finally going to stop losing altogether since people say it drops faster in the beginning and then really slows down... I'm already super slow.

most people don't lose 15+ lbs a month beyond the first month or so. And yes - the pace of loss can be about the same as it is without surgery, but the difference is, I was able to do it and then maintain it once the weight was gone.

you can only do what you can do - and that is, follow your clinic's food plan and stay active, and it sounds like you are doing both. The other things that factor into the rate of weight loss - age, gender, genetics, metabolic rate, etc, you have little to no control over.

I was a slow loser from the get-go and ended up losing all of my excess weight. I just kept plugging away at it. Don't lose hope yet!

So I am not sure what your Surgeon’s plan is for calorie counts is at your stage. I went through an 8 day stall and only when I increased my cals from the 500-600 mark to 700-800 did I start losing more weight again. Starvation mode is a real thing, and because you already lost quite a bit of weight on the pre op diet, your body is possibly stuck metabolically with the lower calories.

Edit: with the amount of activity you’re doing, I’d say your cals are way too low. 

Did your surgeon clear your for strength training yet? I haven't had surgery yet, but I've seen online that heavy exercise isn't recommended too soon after surgery until you are eating more calories.

Having said that, 10 lbs a month is a LOT. Unless you are the size of the people on My 600 LB life you will not lose a ton of weight each month. Someone in a FB group posted a Bariatric Surgery Averages and for people in your weight category, the average lost in the first six week is 15-25 lbs, so if you've lost 20 lbs since surgery, you're smack dab in the middle of that!

yes - I should have mentioned what lizonaplane did - most of us aren't cleared for strength training quite that early. It was eight weeks for patients at my clinic - I'd check with yours and see.

plateaus are frustrating but totally normal. Just continue to follow your plan. If they want you to come up on calories - or stay at your current level - then do that. I'd just check in with them if you're concerned (which it sounds like you are...)

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

most people don't lose 15+ lbs a month beyond the first month or so. And yes - the pace of loss can be about the same as it is without surgery, but the difference is, I was able to do it and then maintain it once the weight was gone.

you can only do what you can do - and that is, follow your clinic's food plan and stay active, and it sounds like you are doing both. The other things that factor into the rate of weight loss - age, gender, genetics, metabolic rate, etc, you have little to no control over.

I was a slow loser from the get-go and ended up losing all of my excess weight. I just kept plugging away at it. Don't lose hope yet!

This.

Hey I feel you! It is okay to feel frustrated. My clothes feel loose so I was surprised to discover I’ve “only” lost 15 since my surgery. Total of 25 pounds including the pre-op diet.

I know I had a hopeful vision that my weight would just drop off, but that’s not what’s happening and I let myself feel the frustration.

I will say that I’m going to switch things up next week and try paleo. It’s more in line with my values, so I’m looking forward to seeing how my body responds. It does mean giving up the Protein Shakes but I’m going to track Protein and ensure I’m still getting enough.
I already prepped a few things - including cabbage and bacon Soup that is delicious! Bone Broth is 10g protein per serving!

5 minutes ago, WanderingHeart said:

Hey I feel you! It is okay to feel frustrated. My clothes feel loose so I was surprised to discover I’ve “only” lost 15 since my surgery. Total of 25 pounds including the pre-op diet.

I know I had a hopeful vision that my weight would just drop off, but that’s not what’s happening and I let myself feel the frustration.

I will say that I’m going to switch things up next week and try paleo. It’s more in line with my values, so I’m looking forward to seeing how my body responds. It does mean giving up the Protein Shakes but I’m going to track Protein and ensure I’m still getting enough.
I already prepped a few things - including cabbage and bacon Soup that is delicious! Bone Broth is 10g Protein per serving!

if your clinic gave you a food plan, that's what you really should be following...at least in the early months. Fifteen lbs in a month is within the average range. I lost 16 lbs the first month and started off well over 300 lbs.

Edited by catwoman7

6 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

if your clinic gave you a food plan, that's what you really should be following...at least in the early months. Fifteen lbs in a month is within the average range. I lost 16 lbs the first month and started off well over 300 lbs.

The food plan is not aligned with what I believe is important. It is focused purely on losing weight and not on health and nutrition. I’ve made adjustments from the beginning to incorporate whole food but I haven’t given up dairy bc of the Protein. Now that I can eat meat, I’m going paleo.
thank you for your input, but I value whole food over a faster weight loss.