Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pants vs. dress right after surgery

I don't own any dresses but I've seen some people recommend to wear a dress after surgery because it won't rub against the incision sites as much. I don't know if it's worth buying a dress I would never wear again to wear for the week of surgery. I don't even have a nightgown or anything like that, nor a robe.

Can I just wear baggy, elastic/drawstring waist pants?

Thanks!

I wore pants and was fine - they were Yoga pants and were not that loose to be honest and i was still fine.

Edited by LoveSimcha

I wore loose cotton sweatpants. They hang below my belly button, so never touched my incisions.

I wore loose-fitting pajama pants in the hospital and had no issues with my incisions.

I also wore pants just fine, as long as the band is elastic and not too tight.

I would just wear baggy pants, preferable with a drawstring. I wore a hospital gown literally until 10 minutes before I was discharged. With IVs you can't really wear regular clothes easily. A long gown can be a pain if it gets stuck under you butt in the bed and you slide down on the plastic mattress causing the neck to choke you; then you have to wrestle with it with your arm attached to an IV. If you have a button up shirt I would wear that since its easier to put on and if you didn't want to wear a hospital gown at least any IV or wires for a monitor can go thru the shirt holes if needed. You can also just take one arm out if needed for a quick blood pressure check.

I wore men’s lounge pajama pants (they are super stretchy) while I was in the hospital and they never bothered anything. I woke up from surgery with a compression thing on that I wore till I was home that covered the incisions anyways so I doubt anything would have hurt.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Pants are fine. I brought sweatpants but the staff all told me my pajamas looked like an outfit so I just wore them home (haha). Wear what you’re comfy in. If it wasn’t a dress before, I doubt it will be a dress now.

Don’t buy a dress if you’re not a dress wearer normally. I wore soft yoga pants with a drawstring and was fine.

I wore soft elastic & drawstring waist pjs in hospital then wore fitted but not tight pants with stretch to go home. I found the gentle pressure of the pants against my wounds supportive while travelling. Once I was home I just turned down the waist of the track pants I was wearing each day so they sat below the wounds. My wounds never really hurt but waist bands sort of were annoying against them.

Good luck.

I wore yoga pants and leggings that I hadn’t gotten rid of that were a size or two too big. I will warn you, though, 6 days after surgery I got a horrible rash on my side (not on the incisions but very near the incisions) - they think it might have been a reaction to the glue but it was MISERABLE. I thankfully had an old nike workout dress that was too big and I lived in that for probably 2-3 days as I had to be slathered in calamine lotion 3-4 times a day and I couldn’t stand anything touching my skin.

I wore pants home too and was fine. If you want, you could get a swimsuit coverup that looks like a dress and then you can wear it to the pool!