Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Congratulations!!! I definitely over packed for my surgery. I only ended up needing my phone charger and deodorant because the hospital gave me a warm rag to wash my face with and a toothbrush and toothpaste. A lot of people take the moisturizing mouth spray. I took it and never used it, so I really only needed 2 things.

I just got home from the hospital on Tuesday. I packed an overnight bag with two changes of clothes, toothpaste/toothbrush, deodorant and shampoo/conditioner. I put on pants and underwear after surgery not to feel so exposed.

I was super cold after surgery so was glad to bring a sweater.

And definitely bring chapstick- my lips were soo dry after

Don't forget your phone charger and anything you want to read or keep you occupied.

The nurse told me she was surprised how many people don't pack their own toiletries even though they have them what they have is nothing compared to what you usually have.

Edited by Shannon In MN
Forget something

most of us spend most of our time in the hospital sleeping, so don't take much. I used my phone (and phone charger). I brought toiletries, but I didn't really have to since the hospital gave me a bag of them (shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant...). Bring clothes that are baggy and easy to get on & off for the ride home (I just wore the same thing I wore to the hospital). A lot of people like having mouth spray (like Biotene) and/or chapstick with them for dryness - I did bring them, but I can't remember if I used them or not). That's about it!

2 hours ago, Jnfinney said:

Congratulations!!! I definitely over packed for my surgery. I only ended up needing my phone charger and deodorant because the hospital gave me a warm rag to wash my face with and a toothbrush and toothpaste. A lot of people take the moisturizing mouth spray. I took it and never used it, so I really only needed 2 things.

This pretty much except I brought extra underwear - which I am glad I did because I had a bathroom issue right after surgery. The nurse told me that about 25% of patients have a loose bowel movement after surgery.

I just got home from the hospital on Tuesday. I packed an overnight bag with two changes of clothes, toothpaste/toothbrush, deodorant and shampoo/conditioner. I put on pants and underwear after surgery not to feel so exposed.
I was super cold after surgery so was glad to bring a sweater.
And definitely bring chapstick- my lips were soo dry after
Don't forget your phone charger and anything you want to read or keep you occupied.
The nurse told me she was surprised how many people don't pack their own toiletries even though they have them what they have is nothing compared to what you usually have.
Thank you

Sent from my U325AC using BariatricPal mobile app

My must have is baby wipes (or any type of wipe) because a ton of people will be touching you but you can’t immediately.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

I wasn’t allowed to shower till day three so I didn’t need Shampoo or conditioner. I used my body wash with a wash cloth, my toothbrush and paste, deodorant and chap stick (which they also gave me one of those) I would have loved to have the dry mouth spray but that only lasts a few hours. I brought my phone and iPad and watched Netflix the whole time when I was awake but slept a lot. The hospital did provide toothbrush and toothpaste but I used mine since I brought it. Pack light, your visitors can always bring you things if you need them. I left some things out on the dresser that I thought I might want so I could ask hubby to bring them but didn’t need anything else.

I forgot that I did bring a 6 foot charging cord that I ordered on Amazon which came in handy since my iPad kept playing Netflix while I was asleep and it would have died several times but I just kept it plugged in.

Depends upon how long you’re staying. I wore home what I wore to hospital & packed basic toiletries - deodorant, body wash/soap, moisturiser, facial cleanser, toothbrush, toothpaste. I was made to shower alone the morning after (sort of a test to see if I’d be ok at home I think plus you feel so much better after that first shower).

I took my iPad but I didn’t use it - slept a lot & couldn’t really concentrate enough to watch anything I’d downloaded or read.

All of the meds you’re currently on in their original packets/bottles from your pharmacy with the printed script label attached. I refilled my meds before & took them in unopened.

I do suggest packing extra knickers & sleep wear than you think you’ll need. Believe me embarrassing accidents can happen post surgery!

Good luck.

I took a tote bag with me to keep on my bed whenever I needed my glasses, phone, headset, book etc... easier to manage than reaching out to the nightstand (or the floor if you are as clumsy as I am!!!).

I second the long charger cable. Chances are the plug will be on the wall behind your bed so for it to reach and still be plugged in takes a longer cord.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, shaylondamiller said:

Hey guy I'm scheduled to have my surgery on 5/11/21 next week and I would really like to know what you all packed to take with with you or if you haven't had you surgery yet what are you planning to pack

Sent from my U325AC using BariatricPal mobile app

So most people are giving you the basics. But the one thing that saved my bacon was a nice pair of slippers. I'm talking about the ones you just slide your feet into. Cuz you're going to be walking walking walking. And you want your feet to be comfy and you want to be able to get in and out of your slippers easily. The next thing that is critical and I mean super critical is bring a pair of jammy pants or some kind of comfy easy to get in and out of pants. Because you don't need your butt hanging out while you're doing all that walking. I had the nurse help me into my jammy pants and I am so incredibly grateful I brought them and my slippers. Of course your general toiletries like toothpaste face wash face moisturizer and bring a hair scrunchie.

1 hour ago, Qamilian1 said:

saved my bacon

I'd probably recommend not bringing bacon.