Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else struggling with the taste of Protein after surgery? Before surgery with my 2 week Liquid Protein diet, I had no issues, but now all the Protein Drinks and GENEPRO taste like straight-up chemicals. I can barely get it down due to the smell and taste. I am having trouble meeting my protein requirements of 65 g per day because of this. Natural protein foods don't bother me like chicken, hamburger, Beans, etc., but I can't eat enough of that to make up the difference and need supplementation.

Have you tried the flavorless Protein powders? My dietician suggested I have that on hand for that very reason cause she said you can slip it into anything else that you can get down and not even notice. Haven't had surgery yet myself so just relaying her suggestions.

That's what the GENEPRO is. It's supposedly one of the least with taste, and it seemed like that to me beforehand, but now...ewwwww. It's amazing how much my tastebuds have changed since surgery (which is probably a good thing in the long run LOL).

I haven't had surgery yet, but I can definitely taste GENEPRO and Isopure. I find if I mix them with luke warm Water and add them to things that are more strongly flavored it's more tolerable, although I can still taste it. I have had success with lobster bisque, chicken curry, and steel cut oats. I tried some canned campbell's Soup and that was meh. The most important thing is not to heat up the Protein Powder. Also, sometimes I only use a half serving of the isopure because it's so much.

Yes, a lot of people report their tastes changing after surgery, at least in the short term.

I definitely learned not to put it into something hot! Then it tastes awful AND clumps!

I’m about 6 months out but I found a Protein Drink that I really like. I drink it for Breakfast every morning. It is shamrock farms, rockin’ Protein builder. Gets me 30g of Protein for 12 oz. That’s my Breakfast just about every morning. They are made with milk and so the chocolate tastes just like chocolate milk to me the strawberry tastes like Nesquick strawberry milk and the vanilla is okay. I find them in the milk section at the store. I really like them a lot.
I have never been a fan of the powders even the tasteless ones are horrible to me.
These shakes help me get all my protein in most days. https://rockinprotein.com The site will show you where you can find them in your area.  

Thank you! I am going to look for these!

For me they work best. I’ve tried close to a dozen different kinds of drinks but just didn’t like them. Premier Protein is a close second but these are better but also more expensive. Hope it helps cause they really keep me going in the morning.

The Premier ones I can taste now and they used to be my go-to drink. The only ones I have been able to tolerate post-surgery at the Slim-Fast Advanced but they still taste chemically to me.

I also really like Fairlife chocolate Core Power or 30g Protein Nutrition Plan, both taste like chocolate milk to me. I'm not a big fan of the vanilla, and I haven't tried the strawberry or banana because artificial versions of those flavors never work for me. Just look for the ones that have low total sugar (2 g or 5 g) because they do have some with added sugar.

Im still doing my pre op diet and I was having a hard time with the sweetness of the Premier shakes. Since I found Isopure lemonade and unflavored mix I can tolerate it much more.

2 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Fairlife

Second this! Also, I find I can have the flavored Isopure drinks when I add crystal light to it.

3 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I also really like Fairlife chocolate Core Power or 30g Protein Nutrition Plan, both taste like chocolate milk to me. I'm not a big fan of the vanilla, and I haven't tried the strawberry or banana because artificial versions of those flavors never work for me. Just look for the ones that have low total sugar (2 g or 5 g) because they do have some with added sugar.

Fairlife is the only Protein Drink I like since surgery. The others taste terrible now. Very strange how our tastebuds change.

For anyone using GENEPRO, their product is NOT what is advertised on the amount of Protein. They had a large lawsuit filed against them by a well known and established supplement company that was thrown out due to discrepancies with who owns Genepro. It’s physically impossible to have that amount of protein in a scoop that size. There’s are tons of other options in flavorless protein that is much cheaper and accurate on the grams per serving.

3 hours ago, Soon2bFit21 said:

For anyone using GENEPRO, their product is NOT what is advertised on the amount of Protein. They had a large lawsuit filed against them by a well known and established supplement company that was thrown out due to discrepancies with who owns GENEPRO. It’s physically impossible to have that amount of Protein in a scoop that size. There’s are tons of other options in flavorless protein that is much cheaper and accurate on the grams per serving.

It does seem somewhat impossible to have 30g of protein in a 7g serving. Thanks.