Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy moly....I have been learning some valuable lessons about eating too fast this week. It's been a really busy couple of weeks with lots of highly emotional things happening. This has resulted in quick meals and I found myself eating quickly and not pausing enough between bites. I was starting to feel these waves of discomfort in my chest just below my sternum for 30-45 minutes after eating. I was starting to get concerned and reached out to my nutritionist and she explained what I was feeling was my esophagus working to squeeze my food down into my small stomach. Basically I was eating too fast causing things to "back up" and making my esophagus work harder which was causing the discomfort. Lesson learned. I've been very committed to setting the timer on my watch and pausing between bites. Since doing that, no discomfort at all. Eating slowly is definitely something that I have to really put forth a very focused effort on. It is amazing to watch people during meals when I do this. I never realized just how FAST everyone eats. It's like a whirlwind and they are done. Meanwhile there I am, putting my fork down for what feels like eternity. I am looking forward to this habit feeling like second nature and now FULLY understand why it's so important on making it happen.

Yes!!! My big learning curve involved leaving food on the plate. Even when measuring out portions I found myself wanting to finish what was on my plate. Twice I had that same sensation and have since recognized that even my 2 Oz of Protein, 1 Oz of veggies and 1 Oz of carbs was more than I could eat. Now I smile at the victory or recognizing when to stop! 🥰

1 hour ago, pmorgan315 said:

Yes!!! My big learning curve involved leaving food on the plate. Even when measuring out portions I found myself wanting to finish what was on my plate. Twice I had that same sensation and have since recognized that even my 2 Oz of Protein, 1 Oz of veggies and 1 Oz of carbs was more than I could eat. Now I smile at the victory or recognizing when to stop! 🥰

Oh my gosh, yes! I've definitely dealt with that as well on two separate occasions. I would have a moment where I would look at the delicious food on my plate and think "just one more bite" and was in complete and total misery afterwards. The way our bodies react to that definitely make it something I want to avoid. I remember being up and walking around the last time with my eyes to the sky saying "please let this pass quickly...I swear I will NOT do this again" LOL It is DEFINITELY a celebration when you recognize when to stop and actually do it! Remembering that just because is is "our portion" doesn't mean we have to eat it all. Such incredibly valuable lessons we are all learning. I really feel like mastering all of this and really listening to our bodies is going to lead to success in the long term!

The month of August has been rough on me as far as weight loss. I started back doing in person work and they brought in catered food every single day of the first week. It derailed me a bit. Now, I am starting to get back on track with my Protein and Water.

So happy to see everyone doing so well! I had my sleeve on June 16. I am down approximately 33 lbs. My weight loss has slowed to a crawl but I am 5'1" and alot older than most people so for me, this is good. I have been experiencing excruciating hunger pains for some time. The first 6 - 8 weeks was the worst. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm going through some sort of "withdrawal" symptoms. Definitely not fun!

How is everyone doing??

My surgery was on June 17. I am down 45 lbs.

Went from a size 2xl to Medium

Pant size 20 to 14-16

I'm so happy with my results so far !

On 09/23/2021 at 16:19, chunkymonkey123 said:

How is everyone doing??

My surgery was on June 17. I am down 45 lbs.

Went from a size 2xl to Medium

Pant size 20 to 14-16

I'm so happy with my results so far !

Mine was June 17th too…..down 43 lbs ….my shirts are swimming on me but I can still fit into my size 20 pants ….sadly lol

Mine was June 8. I’m down 55lbs and from XL to medium. I have a gain though….in the confidence department :) Blood pressure is better then good and no more meds!
Congrats to you all and anyone struggling you will get there!

My surgery was 6/21/21 and I am down 54.8 pounds since then. The most thrilling things so far have been 1) flying and not needing a seat belt extender and 2) my tennis shoe becoming untied when I was walking and I was able to bend over to tie it right there without finding a bench to sit on to do so! Excited to see what is ahead in this journey!

How is everyone doing? I had the DS June 1st. I’ve lost 52 lbs since the surgery…70 total counting the 18 I lost on the preop diet. I feel wonderful! Starting to get some of the Hair loss now but so far it’s not too bad, just annoying getting hairs wrapped around my fingers in the shower! Lol!

Had my surgery June 10th. Down 82 pounds as of today. It’s gone fast, and it’s exciting. It’s also amazing how I feel so much smaller and successful until I put on the next size down of appropriately sized clothes. In those smaller clothes, I’m still fat and want it to go FASTER. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Hi all! So great to see so many successes! I had my surgery 6/11 and am down 61 pounds so far. I have shrunk out of a lot of my clothes at this point and have lots of overflowing bins to donate. The challenge is really trying to find clothes that do fit! I go into stores and feel like I don't know how to shop and I don't want to spend too much on clothes that won't fit for very long. I've also been experiencing Hair loss for the last month. I'm hoping it either slows down or stops soon as it gets kind of annoying to be shedding so much hair everywhere not to mention I'm not sure how much more covering up I can do. I am so incredibly pleased with my weight loss so far. Being able to fit in smaller spaces, sit in chairs without worrying about if I will fit or hitting my hips on the arm rests, being more active, being able to bend over easily...there are just so many things that are better!

On 9/23/2021 at 2:04 PM, Iluvbats said:

So happy to see everyone doing so well! I had my sleeve on June 16. I am down approximately 33 lbs. My weight loss has slowed to a crawl but I am 5'1" and alot older than most people so for me, this is good. I have been experiencing excruciating hunger pains for some time. The first 6 - 8 weeks was the worst. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm going through some sort of "withdrawal" symptoms. Definitely not fun!

I just had surgery 3 weeks ago and I'm hungry all the time, although I can't eat very much at once. Has your hunger settled down? Everyone always talked about not being hungry after surgery and then they just tell me I'm not really hungry!

I really just started being hungry in the last week or two. I had the surgery on 8/31/21 and went a few weeks with little hunger. Now, I could eat every hour on the hour if I followed my hunger feelings. I think it is hunger, but not 100% sure from reading all these posts who insist it is not hunger....not sure what it is but it feels like I am hungry. I try drinking Water but it does not make the feeling go away.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:04 PM, Iluvbats said:

I know my emotions and hormones were all over the place. It is for sure one tough journey.