Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone regretted getting the surgery?

I had to remove the band after 10 yrs. I did lose over 50 lbs but only when stayed on the diet and lived at the gym. Moving stopped the contact with my surgeon and slowly it all came back. It was removed after a year of throwing up every night several times a night. It had slipped after a bad stomach bug. Pandemic slowed the actual surgery until this April. Had a huge hernia as well. Now have IBS and hope to get that under control and hope it’s just shock from the surgery n no gall bladder. I’ve lost 25 lbs which is good, but when will I be free of my stomach issues. Not sure if it’s the IBS or not, but my appetite has changed, and can go with out meals easily. Going to a digestive center the 24th. I do not think it worked for me because of my lifestyle of stress n not exercising.

Sleeved 2018, zero regrets. I can eat everything I want. Just in very small amounts. 🙂

On 4/29/2021 at 3:45 PM, Luna Girl said:

It just happened naturally when I was on the 2 week pre-op diet. I was so focused on what I needed to do to ensure I was able to get the surgery and after the surgery, I have had no hunger at all. And through all that I am feeling better, and thinking about all the fun activities and outings this summer and food is just not on my mind.

I went to my post op drs appt the other day and drove past all these fast food places and thought, wow, none of them sounded appealing AT ALL. I actually had a feeling of revulsion when I thought about the food I used to eat at most of them. My desire for that type of food is gone...it's as if I had surgery on my brain instead of my stomach! 😁

This!!! The pre-op liquid diet was boring but I was not hungry at all. Additionally, I have not been hungry in the two weeks since surgery. I do have thoughts about certain foods but interestingly it stops there. Where I used to think about something and would then crave it, now there is no craving and no hunger. I am so excited to be on this side of the process and now look forward to exploring with healthier options in the weeks ahead!

I have noticed the same phenomenon - like I'll think about a food item, but I don't actually want to eat it. No food cravings - I'm only a week out, so on full fluids. My thoughts are more along the lines of I want something hot, or I want to use a spoon 😂 It just seems so weird.

On Thursday night when I got home (i had to fly for my surgery) I recall telling my mom I have no regrets. Whatever comes, comes, but I do not regret getting the surgery. I also had to think long and hard if I really wanted to do this, and researched like crazy as I paid for it out of pocket.

On 5/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, Losing in in 2021 said:

A lot of peoples stomachs can’t handle it

But most people, at some point after surgery, do fine eating small amounts of red meat.

On 5/26/2021 at 2:39 PM, Regret2190 said:

Yes I regret it and I wished I have never done it, I lost weight , I am thin but I'm not healthy. 3 years post op gbp and I'm battling what I suspect reactive hypoglycemia and dumping and Vitamin issues. I am a wreck, I would advice nobody to get the surgery.

Understandable, it's hard not to regret it, this has been so life-altering! I hope you are receiving the support you need.