Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone regretted getting the surgery?

9 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm the same way. No food is worth weighing 373 lbs again (my starting weight). I NEVER want to go back there!

as far as eating whatever: before I had surgery, I started paying attention to what the women at my job ate for lunch (several of them ate in the employee break room, thus I could see what they were eating). Especially the normal weight women. There were a couple of them that ate a lot (well, at the time I would have called what they ate "normal"), but the majority of them ate these little tiny lunches (or they seemed little tiny to me at the time, anyway). A bagel and a thing of yogurt. Or half a sandwich and an apple. Or a sandwich and some baby carrots. I started to think the women that ate the bigger meals were either blessed with really good metabolism, or they were very active. The ones eating the microscopic lunches - I started to think that that's just the way a lot of normal women eat (unfortunately...). And now, I've joined them...

When the hunger hormones come back does the smaller portion still satisfy you?? I can see myself eating till full then still being hungry an hour later when I could technically eat again. I know this is exactly what we are not supposed to do, I just wonder why many people don’t do it if the hungry feeling is there. Do you have to constantly remind yourself that you just ate and should be satisfied like when on a diet or is the hunger not as strong or what. I am just wondering why this is going to work better than diets have in the past.

6 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

When the hunger hormones come back does the smaller portion still satisfy you?? I can see myself eating till full then still being hungry an hour later when I could technically eat again. I know this is exactly what we are not supposed to do, I just wonder why many people don’t do it if the hungry feeling is there. Do you have to constantly remind yourself that you just ate and should be satisfied like when on a diet or is the hunger not as strong or what. I am just wondering why this is going to work better than diets have in the past.

I get full on much smaller portions now. For example, I used to be able to eat half a large pizza. No way could I eat that now - I'd be in pain. I can eat 1-2 pieces and I'm done. Or today for lunch - my husband and I split a packet of Costco's Madras Lentils (so I had about a 1/2 cup of them), and we also split a piece of naan (so that was another 100 calories - so about 245 calories total for lunch). I am stuffed. I'll probably get hungry again in about three hours, so I'll probably have some Greek yogurt.

the thing you have to watch out for is grazing. The surgery will limit how much you can eat in one sitting. But it won't stop you from grazing all day. Using the pizza example, I physically cannot eat more than 1-2 pieces at one sitting. But I could probably eat 1-2 pieces at 5:00 pm, 1-2 more pieces at 7:00 pm, and 1-2 more pieces at 9:00 pm. ta da - there's your half a pizza. So that's what you have to watch out for. So I always have things like sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, raw veggies with some kind of dip made from Greek yogurt, or those Light & Fit or Carbmaster yogurts around for times when I'm really dying for an unplanned snack (or sugar free fudgesicles if I'm craving chocolate. They're 40 calories each). This all was pretty easy the first year, but it gets harder. This is life now. But I never want to be morbidly obese again. And as I mentioned, this seems to be the way of lot of normal weight women eat, from what I can tell.

To answer the original question: yes. I’m 7 months out, and although I’ve hand a good outcome from an objective standpoint, I regret this decision deeply. These are my reasons:

1) There’s not a day when I don’t think about how terrible my body looks. I’m currently very close to where I thought I wanted to be long term, but I can’t stand seeing myself. I’d rather look at my old self in the mirror.

2) My menstrual cycle is totally screwed up and has been ever since surgery. I was having constant periods for a while, and now I haven’t had one in 8 weeks. Totally unpredictable, and all my surgeon has to say is, “That shouldn’t Ben happening.”

3) I’m tired of being praised for how great I’m doing, how great I look, and what I eat. I don’t eat anything different than I’ve ever eaten: the amounts are just smaller. Not all fat people are fat because of pizza and fast food. Some people gain lots of weight during a period of chronic illness, and that reality is totally lost on my medical team. I’ve stopped following up with my surgeon because I’ve tried discussing how anxious our appointments make me due to all this praise she’s giving me for nothing, but she never stopped doing that even after I requested. The thought of seeing her gets me really upset, so I’ve just stopped going. I’m a healthcare provider myself, so I’m aware of that being a risky decision.

4) I’m tired of the random comments about my body from people I know as acquaintances. Losing this much weight isn’t heroic, and I don’t like it when other people refer to me in that way and with similar adjectives.

5) I hate that people treat me differently now. It’s like my worst fear has been realized: there are a lot of people who like me now only because of my smaller body size. Suddenly, I get to sit in on conversations where thin women make fun of fat women: conversations where I would’ve been the one being gossiped about a few months ago.

Granted, there have been good things about it. I like being able to do more things with my body. I like having more clothing options. But that’s it. If I could, I’d take this entire decision back and be as I was before.

What surgery did you have? I had my sleeve on April 26 and I feel like I did everything for no reason! I don’t feel like I’ve lost any weight, I am still constantly hungry😩 I know the surgery wasn’t going to fix all my issues but I was thinking at least I wouldn’t be hungry afterwards. I am so depressed I don’t know what to do I feel like such a failure! I feel like I let my 6 children down! I made the choice to have surgery so that I could be healthy enough to live a longer life with them! I didn’t even go to my month check up because I know I haven’t lost anything of significance maybe five pounds 😩😩😩😩 please everyone who believes in god pray for me

5 hours ago, Mariem502 said:

What surgery did you have? I had my sleeve on April 26 and I feel like I did everything for no reason! I don’t feel like I’ve lost any weight, I am still constantly hungry😩 I know the surgery wasn’t going to fix all my issues but I was thinking at least I wouldn’t be hungry afterwards. I am so depressed I don’t know what to do I feel like such a failure! I feel like I let my 6 children down! I made the choice to have surgery so that I could be healthy enough to live a longer life with them! I didn’t even go to my month check up because I know I haven’t lost anything of significance maybe five pounds 😩😩😩😩 please everyone who believes in god pray for me

You should definitely check in with your surgery center to make sure they know your concerns and see if you're on track. You may not lose a ton of weight right away, you didn't put on the weight overnight and it won't come off overnight. You need to be honest with your surgery center about what you're eating to make sure it's on your plan. Also, it sounds like you would benefit from some therapy, as you said, this surgery doesn't fix everything. And many people are still hungry after surgery - sometimes it's head hunger, sometimes it's "true" hunger, sometimes it's thirst, sometimes it's GERD. It's important to talk to your surgery team.

On 06/06/2021 at 01:22, Mariem502 said:

I hope you have a supportive surgical team. I’m in the pureed phase (post-VSG) and only slightly hungry. But…this procedure requires significant mind and body changes. We have to follow our plans (I’m on four ounces at this point) and seek guidance from our medical teams if we’re struggling. This tool is amazing if we use it as just that: a tool to assist us with making a lifestyle change. I encourage you to reach out to your nutritionist and bariatric therapist to sort through these challenges. You can do this, one day at a time!

I am two years post op (Gastric Bypass > Route En Y) and I do not regret my decision. I have lost almost 100 pounds and went from a size 16 to a size 4/6. It definitely has been a journey overall, but having the surgery for me put me back in control over my life. It forced me to identify the root/cause of why I was overweight and as I result I sought help mentally/and physically which has changed me forever.

Granted, I still have moments where I do ask myself the same question just because I haven’t reached my target/goal weight and I have struggled with remaining consistent with exercise, getting enough fluids in (water) and having excess sagging skin. The ideal image after weight loss surgery that you may see on social media is not applicable for everyone’s situation because each person is different. I have found that theses images that are portrayed are sometimes helpful, but also can be hurtful because the content shared may not be 100% truthful.

I am not sure if this is something that you have found to be challenging but for me it has been, because sometimes people on social media portray that sagging skin was completely tightened by exercise when it reality they had skin surgery to remove excess skin; for example. I have also found that after making such a great change, the people who said they supported me, have now began to ostracize me because they are envious, spiteful and refuse to acknowledge that change is necessary to be able to live a fulfilling life.

Had I had known, that having weight loss surgery would reveal true intent of others as well, I would have had the weight loss surgery sooner! Regardless, I had the surgery for me, so that I can live freely! Being 2 years post op, I know only take Vitamins and 1 maintenance drug to assist with some mental issues that I am still struggling with but besides that all of the health issues/conditions that I faced before have subsided. I also have identified specific food intolerances which I try to stay away from and I’m constantly reminding myself to slow down when eating to prevent indigestion and reflux.

I do not eat or use dairy products because I have an dairy allergy/intolerance which existed before the surgery. I also do not have a galbladder, so I there are some foods my body doesn’t digest well. I primarily foods that are dairy free, gluten free, Non-GMO and have either low sugar content/low sodium content. I had a stomach ulcer last year; as a result of having the surgery and as a result I was hospitalized for a week. From my understanding it is common for weight loss surgery patients to have this issue post op.

I also had kidney stones last year as well, which was a extremely painful ordeal, but I made it through. Even with all of the challenges that I have faced, I am still grateful that I had the surgery! Sharing my story with others has been liberating, freeing, and inspiring experience and has influenced multiple people to make decisions towards their own weight loss and one person even had weight loss surgery, as well.

Overall, I hope that you don’t regret your weight loss surgery decision, because it’s your life and you live it the way you want to live it! I hope that reflecting on how far you have came will increase your inspiration and motivation, because having weight loss surgery is only half the battle. I start over almost everyday, but I refuse to go back to where I came from.

I wish you nothing but the best in life and congratulations on your successful journey!

I am two years post op (Gastric Bypass > Route En Y) and I do not regret my decision. I have lost almost 100 pounds and went from a size 16 to a size 4/6. It definitely has been a journey overall, but having the surgery for me put me back in control over my life. It forced me to identify the root/cause of why I was overweight and as I result I sought help mentally/and physically which has changed me forever.
Granted, I still have moments where I do ask myself the same question just because I haven’t reached my target/goal weight and I have struggled with remaining consistent with exercise, getting enough fluids in (water) and having excess sagging skin. The ideal image after weight loss surgery that you may see on social media is not applicable for everyone’s situation because each person is different. I have found that theses images that are portrayed are sometimes helpful, but also can be hurtful because the content shared may not be 100% truthful.

I am not sure if this is something that you have found to be challenging but for me it has been, because sometimes people on social media portray that sagging skin was completely tightened by exercise when it reality they had skin surgery to remove excess skin; for example. I have also found that after making such a great change, the people who said they supported me, have now began to ostracize me because they are envious, spiteful and refuse to acknowledge that change is necessary to be able to live a fulfilling life.
Had I had known, that having weight loss surgery would reveal true intent of others as well, I would have had the weight loss surgery sooner! Regardless, I had the surgery for me, so that I can live freely! Being 2 years post op, I know only take Vitamins and 1 maintenance drug to assist with some mental issues that I am still struggling with but besides that all of the health issues/conditions that I faced before have subsided. I also have identified specific food intolerances which I try to stay away from and I’m constantly reminding myself to slow down when eating to prevent indigestion and reflux.
I do not eat or use dairy products because I have an dairy allergy/intolerance which existed before the surgery. I also do not have a galbladder, so I there are some foods my body doesn’t digest well. I primarily foods that are dairy free, gluten free, Non-GMO and have either low sugar content/low sodium content. I had a stomach ulcer last year; as a result of having the surgery and as a result I was hospitalized for a week. From my understanding it is common for weight loss surgery patients to have this issue post op.
I also had kidney stones last year as well, which was a extremely painful ordeal, but I made it through. Even with all of the challenges that I have faced, I am still grateful that I had the surgery! Sharing my story with others has been liberating, freeing, and inspiring experience and has influenced multiple people to make decisions towards their own weight loss and one person even had weight loss surgery, as well.
Overall, I hope that you don’t regret your weight loss surgery decision, because it’s your life and you live it the way you want to live it! I hope that reflecting on how far you have came will increase your inspiration and motivation, because having weight loss surgery is only half the battle. I start over almost everyday, but I refuse to go back to where I came from.

I wish you nothing but the best in life and congratulations on your successful journey!

I also had kidney stones and gallstones. I was diabetic, high blood pressure and now I have pain from my head to toes but I am walking my dog Bentley 5 miles a day to keep my heart healthy

Sent from my U693CL using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

I also had kidney stones and gallstones. I was diabetic, high blood pressure and now I have pain from my head to toes but I am walking my dog Bentley 5 miles a day to keep my heart healthy

Sent from my U693CL using BariatricPal mobile app

It is inspiring to hear that you are walking your dog 5 miles! That is a goal, for sure! Yes, kidney stones and gallstones are the absolute worst. Sometimes, I wish I still had my galbladder because I feel like it would aid with digestion more, but it is what it is at this point.

Keep up the great work! I pray that your pain subsides or completely goes away in the near future. I know that can be completely exhausting.

I sincerely believe that we, as consumers of weight loss surgery, because we are or were grossly obese; need to be our own best supporters, and we need to advocate for ourselves, because no one else is going to do it for us. That means for me:

1. Find out everything about each possible surgical procedure and find the one that you can LIVE with - not the one that a particular surgeon likes to perform, or the one that your neighbor had, or the one that has a girl on Tic Toc. Or the one that a TV surgeon does.

2. Weigh the risks and benefits of each surgery and add in your PERSONAL medical and mental health history, support systems, possible issues 10 months out and 10 years out.

3. Work on the mental health part of it BEFORE surgery. Surgery only fixes tummies and intestines; not mindsets, and we should NOT expect it to have any effect on depression, anxiety, or anything else. And those of us who obsessed about being overweight will continue to obsess about it, or how imperfect we still may be.

4. Most people, who have a particular surgery expect to be "cured". Unfortunately this is not always the case. Just like treatment for any physical illness, not every medication works for every person , and not every surgical procedure for weight loss surgery will fix every patient who has it. That does not mean giving up. It means being stubborn and going back to your doctor or finding a different one and figuring out the next step.

Be PRO-ACTIVE in your own care. Pre -Op, Post Op, and 10 years or 20 years down the line. Just MY thoughts today

So I am 1 month post op and am down 28 lbs. my starting weight was 245 lbs, My surgery day weight was 235 lbs and I’m now 217 lbs. I have no regrets. I had the gastric bypass on 5/6. My heartburn that I’ve experienced for years is GONE. It’s like magic. My sleep apnea is already better and I’m fitting into clothes that have been excruciatingly tight. I have more energy and can climb stairs at work without wanting to die. I have zero regrets. However, this decision was a risk benefit analysis. In my mind the risks of serious health complications secondary to my obesity were way higher than me getting the surgery. That’s not to say that this has been easy. I have a complicated relationship with food. I eat too much, I vomit. I eat something like candy (even the smart low sugar candy) I get dumping. Mashed potatoes, one of my favorite foods makes me dump. But I’m now craving healthy food like salad, fruits and veggies instead of Taco Bell and soda. If you feel like you’re ready and truly understand the risks than go for it. So far the best thing I’ve ever done.

I am almost 8 weeks post surg, I am doing great, lost weight, I was on 3 diabetes meds and now only 1, Gerd is doing good, I was on 11 meds and now only 4 including bariatric Vitamins. I am so blessed that I have not had a bad experience with my sleeve surgery as others, beyond the first week. My only problem is still BM issues, but I am dealing with it. I am so happy I did this. Hang in there I know it will get better for you all soon. God Bless

I definitely don't regret surgery, at all. I wish I had done it sooner.

And like others have said, it does depend on your diet. I have had McD's, and Peanut Butter cups.. no red meat bc I didn't eat much before surgery, and am iffy about trying anything beyond maybe a burger.

Do I miss my diet dr pepper or mcdonald's sprite? sure. I'm human and enjoyed them (for real, tho.. mc'd sprite is out of this world, ya'll). However, I find myself a lot happier and still tweaking my relationship with food, so it's getting better. You can still have what you liked before, but instead of 4 peanut butter cups, you can have 1, and still enjoy it.

I just hit 100lbs down and i'll take that over any of those old foods anytime. It's a personal decision and not one to make lightly. Just do what's best for you. Life can be so much more than food.. which has been so amazing to discover.

Not for a second. I would not be here if I did not do this 20 years ago! Went from 297-165 and and still there. I would tell you that I have had to deal with all of the other issues that creep up. I am an AE-holic. A is Anything and Everything, usually the thinks that thrill me the most which are potentially bad for me. Work with a therapist to learn positive behavioral changes.