Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve and Reflux

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums and so excited to be starting on this journey. I have my consultation scheduled for May 5. I was leaning toward the sleeve for several reasons - less complicated, less expensive (I'm doing self-pay) - but as I've been learning more about different procedures it looks like gastric bypass is the surgery of choice if you have reflux. I experience reflux infrequently, maybe once a week. It's usually pretty mild but occasionally it can be pretty bad and I experience food regurgitation. Just wondering if anyone here had reflux prior to surgery but went ahead with the sleeve and what your post-op experience has been. Thanks so much!

I did bypass because I had reflux prior to surgery, and I wasn't willing to risk it getting worse with the sleeve.

it gets worse for about 30% of sleeve patients, so that means it DOESN'T get worse for the other 70%. It's kind of a crap shoot as to whose reflux gets worse and whose doesn't, so it really depends on how willing you are to take that risk. I wasn't willing to take it - but some people are, and some of them have lucked out and it didn't get worse..

Thanks for your response, Catwoman7. I'm leaning towards bypass now just because I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it. I don't experience reflux too often but when I do it's pretty unpleasant and I don't think I want to risk experiencing it more, or worse, than it is now. I'm sure when I have my consultation next week the surgeon will provide more information, but I was just curious about other people's experiences. Thanks so much!

I was in the same boat and chose bypass. I thought that since it was the original and that other things like the band came and went that maybe the bypass was a better option vs the "newer" sleeve. I have read somewhere that the surgeon can do a reflux test and see how bad it is to help decide. I never researched it so I don't know how accurate that is. However, I wish I would have looked into that and possible had the sleeve instead. Of course had I done the sleeve and ended up with reflux and another surgery I am sure I would be regretting not getting the bypass initially so it's a risk either way.

I would not get sleeve if you already have reflux. I had no reflux before my sleeve at all but now have such severe GERD I have to revise to bypass. Sleeve was great for me weight loss wise as I lost all my excess weight but the GERD has been awful.

3 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I was in the same boat and chose bypass. I thought that since it was the original and that other things like the band came and went that maybe the bypass was a better option vs the "newer" sleeve. I have read somewhere that the surgeon can do a reflux test and see how bad it is to help decide. I never researched it so I don't know how accurate that is. However, I wish I would have looked into that and possible had the sleeve instead. Of course had I done the sleeve and ended up with reflux and another surgery I am sure I would be regretting not getting the bypass initially so it's a risk either way.

I was worried about that too - what if I have the sleeve but have reflux and have to do another surgery. It looks like the bypass has worked well for you though. Congrats on your success!

50 minutes ago, crystaldawn81 said:

I had reflux terrible before the sleeve and when he was doing my surgery he seen I had a hiatal hernia so he repaired it and I've not had reflux since. That's been 10 months.

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

That's great crystaldawn81! I’m glad to hear you’re no longer having reflux - it’s definitely no fun!

1 hour ago, starladustangel said:

I would not get sleeve if you already have reflux. I had no reflux before my sleeve at all but now have such severe GERD I have to revise to bypass. Sleeve was great for me weight loss wise as I lost all my excess weight but the GERD has been awful.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having such bad reflux now. I hope all goes well with your revision. Of course I still have to talk to my surgeon but I’m definitely leaning towards bypass. The thought of my reflux getting worse really worries me. And congratulations on your weight loss - it looks like you’re doing great with that part of it. It’s so encouraging to see people’s post-surgery stats.

I had the sleeve even though I was on omeprazole for my acid reflux pre-wls. Im only roughly 3 months out and have been OK for the most part. However, I'm not currently drinking or eating the things that gave me reflux before and I'm still taking omeprazole. I forgot to take my pills on a weekend trip and did feel slight reflux after having ricotta bake with extra marinara. I have a feeling my reflux will be back once I'm in eating "normally."

My surgeon wanted to do the sleeve because of where I was (BMI around 40) but she told me up front that an endoscopy was required first to check for reflux and if it showed scarring then I’d have to do a bypass. I did have reflux some before but no scarring. Got the sleeve and I haven’t had reflux at all since.

I wanted bypass because I have GERD, but the surgeon is worried I won't be able to absorb meds I have to take after surgery for other conditions I have that surgery won't solve, so he and my doctor both recommend sleeve. The surgeon is also not convinced I have GERD, but I'm not sure why. I'm just hoping the GERD is no worse after surgery. (I'm on omeprazole now since having gastritis last year and I don't have any symptoms. I don't care if I have to stay on it).

On 4/27/2021 at 10:34 AM, Lori E said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums and so excited to be starting on this journey. I have my consultation scheduled for May 5. I was leaning toward the sleeve for several reasons - less complicated, less expensive (I'm doing self-pay) - but as I've been learning more about different procedures it looks like gastric bypass is the surgery of choice if you have reflux. I experience reflux infrequently, maybe once a week. It's usually pretty mild but occasionally it can be pretty bad and I experience food regurgitation. Just wondering if anyone here had reflux prior to surgery but went ahead with the sleeve and what your post-op experience has been. Thanks so much!

I had it every so often, sleeve surgery in June 2010, and now I'm seeing a bariatric surgeon due to a hiatal hernia and GERD. I know that revision may be what he advises.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, starladustangel said:

Have you had the revision? If so, what do you think so far? I'm in the same boat you were. Great weight loss, surgery was in 2010, but the GERD has gotten progressively worse. Non-cardiac chest pain, trouble swallowing sometimes, I'm on a prescription PPI and it was helping but I'm back to eating Tums again. When I finally decided to see a doctor I was eating 8 -10 Tums every day. I had no idea it was a bad thing until I read it somewhere!!! I suspect the appointment with the bariatric surgeon next month will give me an idea of what the solution is. I was self pay when I had sleeve surgery. I hope Anthem BCBS will approve and cover whatever he thinks I should do.

On 5/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, lizonaplane said:

I wanted bypass because I have GERD, but the surgeon is worried I won't be able to absorb meds I have to take after surgery for other conditions I have that surgery won't solve, so he and my doctor both recommend sleeve. The surgeon is also not convinced I have GERD, but I'm not sure why. I'm just hoping the GERD is no worse after surgery. (I'm on omeprazole now since having gastritis last year and I don't have any symptoms. I don't care if I have to stay on it).

You might want a second opinion.