Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op hair loss: men/folks with short hair

Hi, I am female but I wear my hair cut very short, above the ears and buzzed down to a 2/3 on the sides and in the back, longer on top. I'm wondering how noticeable Hair loss usually is for hair that is very short to begin with. I did a quick search on the men's forum to see talk about hair loss in general and there wasn't a ton there, leading me to believe it's really just people with long hair who have noticeable issues. Can anyone with very short hair speak from experience? I'm just wondering, like, will I have bald Patches or anything? Thank you. ❤️

Most people with WLS will have some type of Hair loss due to the stress of surgery, low calories and the Hair growth cycle.

My hair isn't as short as yours but I do consider it shorter. My hair is curly and the individual hairs are quite fine. It did thin out as I got older (I am now 58). About three months post op it did fall out at a much greater rate than it usually did, this continued until fairly recently (maybe 4 or 5 weeks a go). It didn't get patchy/no bald spots. I don't think anyone noticed (other than me and my hairdresser) my thinning out hair during the increased hair loss cycle, but some of that may have been masked by my curly hair.

I won't have the volume of my 20s and 30s but the volume is definitely increasing and I have no doubt it will go back to its pre-op volume.

Mine loss was all over. If I had short hair it wouldn't have shown any Patches just thin everywhere.

I have hair that is short/buzzed on one side and short/a few inches on the other. I was also wondering about this. I have a lot of hair, but each hair is pretty fine. I was wondering if I would want to change my hairstyle before surgery, or just see what happens.