Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Educational / motivational educators?

So, I'm pre-surgery (self-pay) in Canada, and the process is incredibly smooth and quick. But on the other hand, apart from the nuts and bolts of the diet, not much attention is spent on the other educational aspects of post-rny life.

Could anyone suggest sources of educational / motivational authors for me to dive into to get a better sense of what I'm going to be encountering on the journey? I'd heard of Dr. Duc Vuong - anyone else you're found helpful?

I am in Ontario and almost 6 months post op RNY. When working through the OHIP process for bariatric surgery there are a lot of resources provided including documentation on all the do's and don'ts etc. I believe that all of these surgeries covered by OHIP are funnelled through the Ontario Bariatric Centres of Excellence. This way they were able to achieve some level (using that loosely) of standardization. I would be very surprised if the clinic/surgeon you are going through doesn't have some sort of similar options to offer you. Sometimes advocating on your own behalf isn't easy but I personally think the surgery is the easy part. The rest is what's hard. I would like to send you a pm but I have never done that in here. I will give it a try.

Thanks very much Bari_KS and 1000islandgirl!

I've loved watching John Pilcher's videos! Very straightforward and he has a soothing manner lol.

I found Dr. Vuong very abrasive and unpleasant. I like Erin Branscom's videos on you tube (My Level 10 Life). I don't agree with everything she says, but I like her style for the most part. She also has a private Facebook group I've found very supportive. She focuses a little more on VSG than RNY, but most of it applies to both. I agree with Matthew Weiner.

1 hour ago, muala94 said:

I've loved watching John Pilcher's videos! Very straightforward and he has a soothing manner lol.

Me TOO! Thought about going to San Antonio (from Dallas) to go to his practice. But it's not feasible for all the pre- and post- appointments.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:41 PM, Bari_KS said:

Dr. Matthew Weiner (YouTube channel) is very good too.

I was going to suggest him too. He helped me a lot. He also wrote two books. One is “pound of cure” which is a new lifestyle for nutrition that I found pretty informative.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Thanks very much muala94, lizonaplane, justShell and Shoppgirl!