Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, all! I'm very new to this so please bear with me. I just had my appt with my surgeon today and I have my appt with my nutritionists next week. I'm very excited to start this journey in my weight loss mad new life! The only problem that I really have is that I am not good with physical pain. What were your experiences? Was it something that lasted very long? If there was pain, were you able to take anything? Thanks for any info that will help me!

I’m two weeks post op. My pain was pretty bad first day. Better the second. I took the prescribed pain killers for about the next 6 days. I’m absolutely fine now :)

I have an entire bottle of Tylenol 3 that I never opened. I was in hospital about 9 hours and was slowed down but and had some discomforts but never in pain.

I am one that usually can't handle pain I may add.

I did not have any pain, I never even filled my pain prescription. I had 4 small incisions and a larger one in my belly button. Didn't recall anything unusual but just being very thirsty. I got up and walked a lot post-surgery.

I'm a pain weenie myself, but I didn't think it was all that bad. They gave me some prescription pain meds in the hospital for the first two days, but only tylenol after that, and I don't ever remember being in that bad of pain. The incisions are pretty small. You have some big internal incisions (depending on the procedure), but I think there's less pain sensors in there than in your skin.

I actually had a 2nd surgery 3 months later - that one hurt like hell. It was a huge incision on my back, and the drain was incredibly painful.

I’ll admit, I was in some pain for the first 2 days. After that, it was basically nothing. I have so much liquid codeine left it is ridiculous. I need to find a place to dispose of it but I’ve not bothered yet.

Things I found more painful than surgery:
1. Infected tooth
2. Ingrown toenail
3. Sitting in a chair for a few hours with arms that cut into my fat hips like 6 inches while trying to pretend to enjoy time with friends. Really just spending the time in pain and hating myself.

Ok the last one was mostly emotional pain. But still. :)

16 hours ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I’ll admit, I was in some pain for the first 2 days. After that, it was basically nothing. I have so much liquid codeine left it is ridiculous. I need to find a place to dispose of it but I’ve not bothered yet.

Things I found more painful than surgery:
1. Infected tooth
2. Ingrown toenail
3. Sitting in a chair for a few hours with arms that cut into my fat hips like 6 inches while trying to pretend to enjoy time with friends. Really just spending the time in pain and hating myself.

Ok the last one was mostly emotional pain. But still. :)

I am 100 percent ready to go through pain to get to where I want to be. Mentally and physically. I do alot better when I know what's coming. Everyone here has been so helpful with the info they've given. I really appreciate it. 😊

You’re gonna do great, the good news is that some people have no pain, and many of us have some pain but only very short term.

Good luck with the process!