Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AM I MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION 😩

Hello All,

I’m new to this app... kinda sucks because I wish I would have been known about it lol. Well to the point I’m 31 years of age 5’5 and weighing in at 360lbs. I’m scheduled for surgery 5/15 and I must admit the closer it gets I have moments where I’m battling myself with the question “ IS THIS REALLY WHAT YOU WANT TO DO ERIKKA?” ... my backstory is that I haven’t been overweight all my life , I grew up physically fit in basic school & all the way thru HS. The trouble came after HS and after my first child birth... my weight has been a struggle since then! I’ve went to the gym ( ONCE IM COMMITTED , IM COMMITTED ) I’ve lost a significant amount of weight ONLY to gain it back ! 2 years ago I got up to 300 and I was like ohhh hell no , I made an effort to loose weight and I got down to 230 and gained it all back and EVEN MORE ! Putting me now up to 360 I decided that I no matter how succesful I am , it’s clear I need help FOR LONGTERM SUCCESS so I decided to have surgery .. but at times when seeing honest reviews about the aftermath people face leaves me wondering am I making the right decision.

I think it’s pretty common for a lot of people to get cold feet the closer they get to surgery. I know I did. The first 2 weeks or so after surgery can be pretty tough, but you’re also putting your body through a major surgery. I know complications are not very common and a lot of people who have had the surgery do not regret it. Most people say their only regret was waiting so long to do it.

I am about 4 1/2 weeks post op and the first week was tough for me, but I feel great now. I think the “aftermath” you are seeing on here are from people who are really early out from surgery (1-2 weeks). Ultimately it is your decision, but I definitely don’t regret doing it. Best of luck to you!

Hi, I can totally relate to your feelings, I feel the same at times. I am in the process of the medical clearances and hopeful that I will be able to have surgery over the summer. I just keep reminding myself that this is needed for medical reasons. I can't seem to keep the weight off on my own and it is impacting my health. I am preparing for a few really rough weeks, but I am looking at it as an investment in my future. I have made drastic changes to my diet over the past few months in preparation. For me to be successful, I have to treat it as a complete lifestyle change. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

On 04/22/2021 at 18:40, Jnfinney said:

I think it’s pretty common for a lot of people to get cold feet the closer they get to surgery. I know I did. The first 2 weeks or so after surgery can be pretty tough, but you’re also putting your body through a major surgery. I know complications are not very common and a lot of people who have had the surgery do not regret it. Most people say their only regret was waiting so long to do it.

I am about 4 1/2 weeks post op and the first week was tough for me, but I feel great now. I think the “aftermath” you are seeing on here are from people who are really early out from surgery (1-2 weeks). Ultimately it is your decision, but I definitely don’t regret doing it. Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for your feedback , it comforts me when I hear success stories! .. I have faith everything will work out for me. I am also glad to know you have also had success ... I am almost at the finish line so to be honest I think it’s no looking back 21 days and I’ll be on the losers bench 🤸🏾‍♀️

On 04/22/2021 at 19:03, Danielle6402 said:

Hi, I can totally relate to your feelings, I feel the same at times. I am in the process of the medical clearances and hopeful that I will be able to have surgery over the summer. I just keep reminding myself that this is needed for medical reasons. I can't seem to keep the weight off on my own and it is impacting my health. I am preparing for a few really rough weeks, but I am looking at it as an investment in my future. I have made drastic changes to my diet over the past few months in preparation. For me to be successful, I have to treat it as a complete lifestyle change. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

Yes, I keep reminding myself as well that everything will be ok. I have friends I know personally that have also had the surgery and they have been comforting me by letting me know everything will be ok, with that being said I am also sending blessings your way for a successful surgery and blessed journey !

No one can answer that question for you. Only you can decide whether you're up for a permanent change in your relationship with food. But we can share our experiences. Like many people, I had a tough first week after surgery, but by week 3, I was much better. I had no major complications and I lost all my excess weight. I have no regrets or complaints of any kind. There are lots of people on here just like me. The thing is, people are more likely to post about unusual or negative experiences, so you won't see a lot of folks logging on to post "Everything is still fine." So reading the posts can kind of skew your impression of how the surgery goes for most people. Complications happen, but it's more common to come through the surgery just fine, with no major problems. I wish you all the best in making your decision!

Hi Erikka,

I agree with @Jaelzion. I've had a few up and downs since my surgery and find that I can spend hours here whenever I'm feeling down. It's easier to vent than to brag. But even with all the negative post I've written, I still don't regret it. I've lost and gained weight like you in the past and I still fear that even IF I lose the 100 lbs I'm setting out to lose, I'm going to gain it back. I don't have any kids yet (I'm 32) but I'm scared that when I have one, I'll throw away all my progress. But I'm a big believer that you can't let the fear of the unknown keep you from moving forward. If you think you're not ready, that's one thing but if its fear, then I say press on :)

@Jaelzion is correct. The ultimate decision to proceed or not is up to you. And feeling unsure or questioning your decision is not uncommon.

Sure, people do struggle in those first couple of weeks. They just had surgery & are recovering & healing. Plus their digestive system has been altered which is a shock to the body. The initial diet, which is to support the healing & recovery, is pretty restrictive. The new digestive system can be pretty delicate to begin & it may be difficult to find foods it will tolerate. This can be very confusing & although people may be aware it occurs the reality can still be a shock. But it does all improve & it becomes easier.

Yes, some people have complications. All surgeries have the risk of complications. Bariatric surgery risks are pretty low. Much lower than surgeries you may need if your excess weight impacts your health: cardiac, joint replacement, kidney or liver problems, etc. Same with issues that may arise in the years post surgery. You’ll likely read about them, on forums like this one, because people want to share their experiences &/or are seeking support & advice. In reality they are minority & it is very sad to read about their complications. As with all things, you should be aware of the possibilities.

Personally, I haven’t had any problems. Sure, my orthostatic hypotension (drops in blood pressure) occurs more frequently but it was a pre existing condition. As was the mild gerd I had before surgery. I still have it. It manifests differently now but it’s easy to manage. Every day, I’m glad I decided to have the surgery.

Good luck making your decision what ever you decide.

20 hours ago, ErikkaJ said:

Hello All,

I’m new to this app... kinda sucks because I wish I would have been known about it lol. Well to the point I’m 31 years of age 5’5 and weighing in at 360lbs. I’m scheduled for surgery 5/15 and I must admit the closer it gets I have moments where I’m battling myself with the question “ IS THIS REALLY WHAT YOU WANT TO DO ERIKKA?” ... my backstory is that I haven’t been overweight all my life , I grew up physically fit in basic school & all the way thru HS. The trouble came after HS and after my first child birth... my weight has been a struggle since then! I’ve went to the gym ( ONCE IM COMMITTED , IM COMMITTED ) I’ve lost a significant amount of weight ONLY to gain it back ! 2 years ago I got up to 300 and I was like ohhh hell no , I made an effort to loose weight and I got down to 230 and gained it all back and EVEN MORE ! Putting me now up to 360 I decided that I no matter how succesful I am , it’s clear I need help FOR LONGTERM SUCCESS so I decided to have surgery .. but at times when seeing honest reviews about the aftermath people face leaves me wondering am I making the right decision.

Without. question this is the right thing to do for your health! You will NOT regret it!!