Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No hunger vs hunger...When did this change for you?

I am not quite 2 months post op and have no hunger which is really incredible. My surgeon said that some people have no hunger for up to 4 years. I hear others on here are hungry all the time and didn't experience no hunger. Since the portion of your stomach that creates the hunger hormone has been removed I really don't understand (but sure someone will tell me) why some folks are hungry and some are not. How long did the no hunger phase last for you?

Edited by Tim C

I am curious about this too. Being a slower loser part of me is glad hoping for less loose skin but another part is worried that the hunger will creep back in before I can reach goal and I won’t be able to.

54 minutes ago, Tim C said:

I am not quite 2 months post op and have no hunger which is really incredible. My surgeon said that some people have no hunger for up to 4 years. I hear others on here are hungry all the time and didn't experience no hunger. Since the portion of your stomach that creates the hunger hormone has been removed I really don't understand (but sure someone will tell me) why some folks are hungry and some are not. How long did the no hunger phase last for you?

I had no hunger for at least six months, like NONE. Then it slowly returned but it's still only 60% of what it was pre-surgery. I get hungry now, but less often and less intensely than before I was sleeved.

6 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

I had no hunger for at least six months, like NONE. Then it slowly returned but it's still only 60% of what it was pre-surgery. I get hungry now, but less often and less intensely than before I was sleeved.

Bummer...I was hoping this would last longer (like forever). I guess I need to keep after it until I hit goal and the hunger Demon returns

Edited by Tim C

Just now, Tim C said:

Bummer...I was hoping this would last longer. I guess I need to keep after it until I hit goal a

nd the hunger Demon returns.

It could last longer for you, we're all different. Plus my hunger is greatly weakened in intensity. It's more like a toddler than a demon now, LOL. I can tell it no.

1 hour ago, Tim C said:

For me it returned between 6-8 months post op. But I’m never as hungry as I was pre-op so that’s the real miracle.

1 minute ago, Jaelzion said:

It could last longer for you, we're all different. Plus my hunger is greatly weakened in intensity. It's more like a toddler than a demon now, LOL. I can tell it no.

This has been the best decision ever. I wish I had done this 12 years or so ago and had that God forsaken, straight from Hell lap band removed.

I want to say I started getting legitimately hungry sometime into maintenance...like 7,8,9 months post op?

But like the other's said above, its not a ravenous-type of hunger like it was pre-op. Its alot more polite and respectful, lol. So NOT like a toddler. More like a well-mannered english nanny. Oh, and its very patient...it can wait until I get around to it...so like an sweeter, older, well-mannered-english nanny....LOLOLOLzzzz

I still have days here and there when I just don't feel like eating, or I forget to eat. It comes and goes.

I am 2.5 years post-op.

Edited by ms.sss

11 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I want to say I started getting legitimately hungry sometime into maintenance...like 7,8,9 months post op?

But like the other's said above, its not a ravenous-type of hunger like it was pre-op. Its alot more polite and respectful, lol. So NOT like a toddler. More like a well-mannered english nanny. Oh, and its very patient...it can wait until I get around to it...so like an sweeter, older, well-mannered-english nanny....LOLOLOLzzzz

I still have days here and there when I just don't feel like eating, or I forget to eat. It comes and goes.

I am 2.5 years post-op.

Just now, Tim C said:

Well that is encouraging! Thanks for that!

I know I just said this in the other thread but for those just perusing this one, I’m at ten months and still have zero hunger. As in absolute zero. I eat because I know I have to to live, but if I’m busy I can get home at dinner time and realize I haven’t had a bite of anything all day (I know, mom… I know).

1 minute ago, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

I know I just said this in the other thread but for those just perusing this one, I’m at ten months and still have zero hunger. As in absolute zero. I eat because I know I have to to live, but if I’m busy I can get home at dinner time and realize I haven’t had a bite of anything all day (I know, mom… I know).

It is truly amazing.

it varies. Mine came back at five months out. Some people (unfortunately, a minority..) lose it forever - and some never lose it at all. For the rest of us, it comes back sometime within the first year.

Been almost 4 years since my surgery and I feel like I still dont get real hungry but my stomach does let me know to eat. Then when I do eat, I have to take it slow so I don't get sick.