Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Suggestions for Returning to Work after Surgery

Hello all,

I had the sleeve surgery plus a hiatal hernia repair on April 6. I am at the two week Mark and I am thinking about returning to work at the 3 week mark. At work, I'm sitting most of the day, but talking all day. I have appointments with clients most if the day and run various meetings, so it's a fairly busy day for me.

It's already a nice challenge when I'm home to fit in all my Water and Protein. Whenever I have a doctor appointment, I fall behind with both so I am worried that if I am at work busy all day, how on earth will I be able to focus on myself enough to get everything in. I'm thinking about starting with a test of just working part-time like half days to give myself an opportunity to adjust.

Quick Questions: How do you all fit everything (water and protein amounts) in while at work? How do you track intake at work? How do you sip water all day if you happen to talk a lot at work? I also wonder about walking, since I'm pretty tightly scheduled at work all day.

I'm just concerned that I will be so distracted by work that I won't take care of myself like I am now. I've been home for 2 weeks since surgery. Working a little bit from home this week.

Help! Thanks!

8 hours ago, Blueslily said:

Hello all,

I had the sleeve surgery plus a hiatal hernia repair on April 6. I am at the two week Mark and I am thinking about returning to work at the 3 week mark. At work, I'm sitting most of the day, but talking all day. I have appointments with clients most if the day and run various meetings, so it's a fairly busy day for me.

It's already a nice challenge when I'm home to fit in all my Water and Protein. Whenever I have a doctor appointment, I fall behind with both so I am worried that if I am at work busy all day, how on earth will I be able to focus on myself enough to get everything in. I'm thinking about starting with a test of just working part-time like half days to give myself an opportunity to adjust.

Quick Questions: How do you all fit everything (water and Protein amounts) in while at work? How do you track intake at work? How do you sip Water all day if you happen to talk a lot at work? I also wonder about walking, since I'm pretty tightly scheduled at work all day.

I'm just concerned that I will be so distracted by work that I won't take care of myself like I am now. I've been home for 2 weeks since surgery. Working a little bit from home this week.

Help! Thanks!

You will be fine. Walk before/after work or at lunch. I find all this very easy...you will figure it out. Good luck!

Just now, Tim C said:

You will be fine. Walk before/after work or at lunch. I find all this very easy...you will figure it out. Good luck!

8 hours ago, Blueslily said:

Hello all,

Quick Questions: How do you all fit everything (water and Protein amounts) in while at work? How do you track intake at work? How do you sip Water all day if you happen to talk a lot at work? I also wonder about walking, since I'm pretty tightly scheduled at work all day.

Help! Thanks!

Oh and I get the lions share of my protein in right out of the gate with a Body Fortress 40G shake, add 20G whey Protein, and add 10G collagen powder protein and blend with ice for a shake you can drink on for a while in a Yeti.

They sell Water bottles online that have marks for ounces and time of day to help keep you on track.

I set my Apple watch to go off every 3 min. It vibrates, I drink.

Just now, njlimmer said:

I set my Apple watch to go off every 3 min. It vibrates, I drink.

That would drive me freaking CRAZY!!

2 hours ago, Tim C said:

Oh and I get the lions share of my Protein in right out of the gate with a Body Fortress 40G shake, add 20G whey Protein, and add 10G collagen powder protein and blend with ice for a shake you can drink on for a while in a Yeti.

Tim, why do you do the two different types of protein powders? ?

5 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Tim, why do you do the two different types of Protein powders? ?

I am trying to get as much protein in as I can early in the day so I add the whey protein to bump it up. I add the collagen protein(another 10Gs) because collagen is amazingly good for your skin hair and nails. My wife mixes it in her morning coffee. Since I started taking it my heels do no crack anymore. It is good stuff in other words.

Edited by Tim C

1 minute ago, Tim C said:

I am trying to get as much Protein in as I can so I add the whey protein to bump it up. I add the collagen protein(another 10Gs) because collagen is amazingly good for your skin hair and nails. My wife mixes it in her morning coffee. Since I started taking it my heels do no crack anymore. It is good stuff in other words.

Good to know. I knew their had to be a reason. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Tim C said:

Oh and I get the lions share of my Protein in right out of the gate with a Body Fortress 40G shake, add 20G whey Protein, and add 10G collagen powder protein and blend with ice for a shake you can drink on for a while in a Yeti.

Thanks for the encouragement!

That sounds like a lot of protein at one time. Actually sounds a little scary to me. Is there a such thing as a limit or too much protein at one time? Just asking because I'm cautious about my little pouch in the early days of recovery. I just dont want to try to make my little stomach try to take on too much at one time. Thanks!

Edited by Blueslily

7 hours ago, Tim C said:

This is interesting, my dietician told us the body cannot process more than around 30g of protein at a time so consuming more than that in one go was kind of a waste and your body will just excrete it. I'll have to do more research.

Hi! I had the sleeve tumor removal and hiatal hernia repair on 4/8 today was my first day back at work. Week one was rough! I am a healthcare worker who works 12 hr shifts so I had the same fears you are talking about. I am lucky enough that my program has its own app I am sure anyone can use it Baritastic. You can log everything you need. I set reminders every 30 mins to remind me to drink (at 14 days post op I can comfortably drink 2oz in about 5 mins) it took a lot of trial and error finding the right cup to drink out of. The easiest for me was the Yeti slider lid you can sip comfortably. I also set a reminder every 4 hours to eat/drink Protein. It also has Vitamin reminders. I bought toddler 4oz snack cups to put my yogurt, egg salad, and refried Beans (I started purée yesterday). I drink in between Patients and take 15 min break to eat then my lunch break and 15 right now where I eat my 1/3 cup of which ever. Today worked out great I am getting my food and fluids in as hoped. I also started my day with a pre made Protein Shake. I was so afraid I wouldn’t have energy. I have been walking about 3 miles a day for the past 5 days but I took yesterday off, and today I just walked 15 mins at lunch. Hopefully this is helpful. Good luck!

2 hours ago, APRILDEE1 said:

Hi! I had the sleeve tumor removal and hiatal hernia repair on 4/8 today was my first day back at work. Week one was rough! I am a healthcare worker who works 12 hr shifts so I had the same fears you are talking about. I am lucky enough that my program has its own app I am sure anyone can use it Baritastic. You can log everything you need. I set reminders every 30 mins to remind me to drink (at 14 days post op I can comfortably drink 2oz in about 5 mins) it took a lot of trial and error finding the right cup to drink out of. The easiest for me was the Yeti slider lid you can sip comfortably. I also set a reminder every 4 hours to eat/drink Protein. It also has Vitamin reminders. I bought toddler 4oz snack cups to put my yogurt, egg salad, and refried Beans (I started purée yesterday). I drink in between Patients and take 15 min break to eat then my lunch break and 15 right now where I eat my 1/3 cup of which ever. Today worked out great I am getting my food and fluids in as hoped. I also started my day with a pre made Protein Shake. I was so afraid I wouldn’t have energy. I have been walking about 3 miles a day for the past 5 days but I took yesterday off, and today I just walked 15 mins at lunch. Hopefully this is helpful. Good luck!

Im So glad to hear you say how successful you are. I had surgery just yesterday but am

already thinking about when I go back to work, also a nurse, so the same challenges. I use the same app so I’m going to set reminders up for myself and I think that’ll help me stay on track! Thanks for sharing your tips!

Thanks everyone for your informative replies and all the best to everyone going through this process right now. Step by step and day by day is the name of the game. Doing everything we can to protect our new pouches and support our bodies during the healing process. I try to be gentle on my body by treating it kindly.

After reading your responses, I am a little less nervous about returning to work. The main issue for me is that I talk to people allllllll day long. So, I will try to adjust my schedule some so I will have time to take care of myself during the day. I will focus on slowing down and making some time for me.