Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kitchen supplies for early post-op

Hi, I'm making a shopping list of non-food things I should get for the kitchen. Since I have always eaten a lot of takeout/frozen meals, I'm light on even very basic supplies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am definitely getting a food processor. I am thinking about those little plastic 1 oz cups. What do y'all think?

Don't have a surgery date quite yet but have approval and fingers are crossed for mid to late May.

A stick blender which is easier for blending/pureeing small serves.

I used a lot of small snack size zip lock bags to freeze individual portions & leftovers - work for liquids & solid foods. They take up less room in the freezer than plastic storage containers too.

Child size forks or buffet forks, small plates & bowls (like little tapas ones).

A tea leaf strainer. I know it sounds odd but I found it useful for straining Soups into mugs to make sure there were no lumps, chunks or stray pieces of meat, vegetables or herbs. A small whisk. A jug with increments in ounces. Kitchen scales also with small increments. A set of measuring cups & spoons.

A small thermos & a thermal cup.

Good luck with your surgery.

Measuring cups. 1/3 cup will be your best friend for a while.

Silicone ice cube trays with lids. Great for freezing small portions. I also bought a lot of the disposable portion cups with lids.

74175BF8-7577-44AD-BD45-EB1F180A0C40.jpeg

10 hours ago, muala94 said:

Hi, I'm making a shopping list of non-food things I should get for the kitchen. Since I have always eaten a lot of takeout/frozen meals, I'm light on even very basic supplies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am definitely getting a food processor. I am thinking about those little plastic 1 oz cups. What do y'all think?

Don't have a surgery date quite yet but have approval and fingers are crossed for mid to late May.

Bullet or similar blender. Good luck!

Blender of some sort and/or food processor. Measuring cups/spoons. scale. Smaller plates/bowls. Child size spoon. 2 (or more) drink bottles.

I bought the 2 oz. plastic cups with lids and never used them.

food scale. Insulated Water bottle/thermos. AND a Timer (not exactly a "kitchen" item, as I used my watch...but this was probably the single most used thing I used the first 3 months...as reminder to take my meds, or drink or eat, and to time my bites while I was eating).

Good Luck! ❤️

You can wait to see if you like Water cold or otherwise since they are kinda expensive but if you like it cold a yeti cup is a good investment.

27 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

You can wait to see if you like Water cold or otherwise since they are kinda expensive but if you like it cold a yeti cup is a good investment.

Those Yeti cups look cute.

Here is the one I've been using every day for the past 2 years and its more than half the price (not as cute, but still). Keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. I take it everywhere I go. The rubber gasket is still going strong despite getting pulled out and washed every day, which is pretty impressive. Plus the handle is super handy to hook on the the inside of my purse, car door cubbies, patio chair arm rests, etc...lol

IMG_1771.thumb.jpg.906c2900e2260b827531e9b1a0ad83bc.jpg

I got a small strainer that was a godsend early surgery. I bought so many Soups and strained them through that thing! Bought it at Walmart for like 1.50 and it was my best purchase.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:17 AM, ms.sss said:

food scale. Insulated Water bottle/thermos. AND a Timer (not exactly a "kitchen" item, as I used my watch...but this was probably the single most used thing I used the first 3 months...as reminder to take my meds, or drink or eat, and to time my bites while I was eating).

Good Luck! ❤️

The timer is a great idea! To stop procrastination, take meds at the same time (like you) and remember appointments, I use Alexa and have it send alerts to my phone in case I'm out. It's worked so well that I added my husband's and we're so on top of things now.