Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein and small portions

Since I’m on solid stage my surgeon said I don’t have drink any Protein Shakes at all even though I’m having hard time drinking Protein shakes

it’s very difficult eating small portions of food I feel like I’m wasting food when I get full I feel embarrassed that I can’t enjoy dinner with my family they can eat all there food I just eat small plus I don’t get eat all my food

Don't worry about wasting food. We were all given horrible advice when we were told to "clean our plates because there were starving children in XXX country". It doesn't help starving children if we get fat. Better to throw out food or save it for another meal than ruin your new stomach, make yourself sick, when you worked so hard and probably spent a fair amount of money to have the surgery.

You will have to learn to accept that you won't eat as much as other people: most people in our country eat far too much; and right now, you will be eating like a baby. Eventually, you will eat a healthy amount - still less than most people in this country eat. I've traveled a LOT and when I am in other countries I notice the portions are just so much smaller than here in the US. Don't feel embarrassed; feel proud of taking care of your health!

Edited by lizonaplane

I just take home what I don't eat (or if I'm eating at home, I put uneaten food in the fridge) and eat the leftovers the next day. So it's not wasted.

Freezing things has helped me with this. I portion out what I think I will eat that day and maybe next day for lunch and freeze the rest of most things. And I portion out the meat to two servings sizes (right now that’s 6 oz) and I freeze that way and just cook enough for two servings.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I stopped shakes as soon as I was on purées. They were disgusting & I wanted to work towards getting all my nutritional needs from food not supplements but that was my goal.

Use smaller plates & bowls so you look like your eating a ‘fuller’ plate of food. Eating 1/2 cup of food on a full sized plate can be depressing & can trick you into putting more food than you need on your plate.

Left overs are my friend. My freezer is full of individual portion meals & cooked meats. All I have to do is defrost, reheat & maybe cook some vegetables or prep some salad. Easy meal in a few minutes.

@lizonaplane is correct about portion sizes. Many people eat portions that are 2, 3 or more times larger than what is recommended & what we actually need to eat. Eating smaller portions doesn’t stop you enjoying what you eat. It sounds like you’re grieving what & how you used to eat. Remember that lead you to being overweight.

You’re learning about what is a correct food portion that satisfies your need for food. A big learning is discovering the difference between eating what you need versus eating what you want. This was key for me. I still ask myself do I need this next bite or do I just want it.

As you progress you will be able to eat more. I eat just under a recommended serving size now for most things.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I just take home what I don't eat (or if I'm eating at home, I put uneaten food in the fridge) and eat the leftovers the next day. So it's not wasted.

Same here. I still have no hunger and eat about a half a cup or a little more when I do eat.