Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just curious what everyone else is doing in terms of exercise. I have a under desk treadmill I got back out today and I was thinking of doing that every other day and then doing crunches, push-ups and little hand weights the off day. I honestly have no clue what I am doing but I’m not quite comfortable going to the gym yet. Is this an okay start?

I don't consider myself a fitness guru or anything like that, but I have exercised for years. I typically do 30-45 minutes of cardio and 30-45 minutes of strength training each day. However, if you haven't been exercising regularly, it is a great idea to start small and in short amounts. My only suggestion for toning/strength would be to add a variety of moves to your routine. Some ideas are:

• Squats (and there are many different variations!)
  • Lunges
  • Romanian deadlifts
  • Bicep curls/hammer curls
  • Kneeling Arnold press
  • Chest fly
  • Back fly
  • Skull crushers
  • Tricep kickbacks
  • Overhead press
  • Bent over row

^^ these are just some of my favorites and can be done without weight, with light weight, or with heavier weights. I also highly recommend exercises with resistance bands/booty bands!

Also, it can be hard to decide which exercises to do and when. A year or two ago, I discovered this app called FitOn that has free exercise videos that actually got me sweating. There is a subscription available as well, and when I paid for it, it was only $20 a year!

I think any exercise is better than nothing. I really have no intentions of working out at a gym because I have suitable exercise equipment at my house, so I see nothing wrong with starting small at home. 😊

34 minutes ago, Jnfinney said:

I don't consider myself a fitness guru or anything like that, but I have exercised for years. I typically do 30-45 minutes of cardio and 30-45 minutes of strength training each day. However, if you haven't been exercising regularly, it is a great idea to start small and in short amounts. My only suggestion for toning/strength would be to add a variety of moves to your routine. Some ideas are:

• Squats (and there are many different variations!)
  • Lunges
  • Romanian deadlifts
  • Bicep curls/hammer curls
  • Kneeling Arnold press
  • Chest fly
  • Back fly
  • Skull crushers
  • Tricep kickbacks
  • Overhead press
  • Bent over row

^^ these are just some of my favorites and can be done without weight, with light weight, or with heavier weights. I also highly recommend exercises with resistance bands/booty bands!

Also, it can be hard to decide which exercises to do and when. A year or two ago, I discovered this app called FitOn that has free exercise videos that actually got me sweating. There is a subscription available as well, and when I paid for it, it was only $20 a year!

I think any exercise is better than nothing. I really have no intentions of working out at a gym because I have suitable exercise equipment at my house, so I see nothing wrong with starting small at home. 😊

Wow that’s perfect. Now I just have to learn how to do all those toning moves. Thank you.

just watch the weights - we weren't cleared to do weights until eight weeks out. I was cleared to do most other things at four weeks out, though (well, of course walking I could do right away...)

7 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

just watch the weights - we weren't cleared to do weights until eight weeks out. I was cleared to do most other things at four weeks out, though (well, of course walking I could do right away...)

K. Thanks.

I started out with Leslie Sansome walking videos on YouTube. Now I run, do traditional and functional strength training, walk, use other cardio equipment at the gym, run stairs, do HIIT, core, and yoga videos on Apple fitness plus. I exercise most days for at least an hour, with focus on strength training two days per week (sometimes three). The Leslie Sansome videos were perfect when I was just starting out. Figure out what you enjoy and keep doing it. As you gain more fitness, more activities will become pleasurable.

Happy exercising! 😊💕

On 4/20/2021 at 10:51 PM, WishMeSmaller said:

As you gain more fitness, more activities will become pleasurable.

Happy exercising! 😊💕

I'm really hoping that this is true for me. I find it uncomfortable to most exercise and so I don't do much other than slow walking. I also enjoy slow hiking and swimming when I'm on vacation, but somehow I don't seem to do those things when I'm not on vacation. I've always blamed it on the noise level of fitness classes, but I think if I'm honest with myself I really don't like not being able to keep up.