Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting Smoking Pre-Op

I haven't had the surgery yet but, my best advice is to just do it cold turkey! I smoked for over 20 years and tried multiple ways over the years to try quitting and nothing worked. Finally, I just put my mind to it that I was in contro, NOT the cigarettes, l and I just stopped!! It was hard. And a few times I walked my ass around to the store to buy more but I didn't smoke.

Back in the day I used to smoke in the house so everything I did was tied to smoking.......before and after eating, with coffee, while on the computer, watching TV, etc. As silly as it sounds I took a McDonald's straw, cause they were about the same thickness as a cigarette, and cut it down to cigarette size and used to hold that in my fingers like I would a real one while on the computer, watching TV, wherever and whenever I normally would smoke and guess what, it helped. Multiple times I even found myself bringing it up to my lips and "taking a drag" of it. But hey, it was better than the real thing. I used to carry that thing everywhere. LOL

And as crazy as this sounds, the one day I did break down and bought cigarettes but I told myself I was gonna walk back home WITHOUT smoking one and, if I could make it there without one, I would reevaluate if I really needed it or not. And nope, I didn't need it. I took things minute by minute but I kept those cigarettes in plain view on my desk and told myself if I REALLY needed one they were there. But I was always able to talk myself out of having one. I'd gulp Water, have Snacks like celery and carrot sticks, things that felt like cigarettes too in my hands/fingers. I don't know, just having the there gave me comfort. But I know not everyone would be able to have them that close without caving in.

Anyway , all my little strange things that I tried worked for me in the end and I've been cigarette free for 16 years now!

I wish you the best of luck. I know how hard it is and everyone has to do what works for them.

When I quit it helped me to carry the pack (with the lighter taped across the top to remind me) in my purse with me. It helped me to know that I was in control and I had cigarettes and could have one any second that I wanted to but I chose not to. To this day I still have that unopened pack of stale ass cigarettes in my top drawer to remind me that I never want to start again. Before that I tried to quit and just knowing that if I really started jonesing that I had to go to the store and buy them still would make me panic and want them more. It’s a mind game but it worked for me. Ooh and I used dum dum Lolly pops to occupy my hand and mouth.

Edited by ShoppGirl
Added lollipops

I used a non nicotine vape to help me quit for my surgery.

Chantix worked great for me.