Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Increased Joint pain & brusing

All,

I'm 8 months out and down 82.5# - still about 30# from my goal. I've noticed over the last few weeks (maybe a month or so) that I've had increased joint pain and a lot of bruising. The bruising isn't "severe" per se, but there's a lot of it. I counted 14 bruises all over my body yesterday - some worse than others. I have a big painful one on my left shin...almost as if I bumped into something, but I didn't. I also have dime-sized bruises under my biceps. Not sure what's going on. The joint pain is getting almost unbearable. Ankles, knees, hips, back, shoulders, neck - you name it - I'm sore all over. I'm still taking all my Vitamins & supplements (I added liquid Iron months ago) so I'm stumped.

See your PCP and get labs done to make sure it is nothing more serious. Many of us have more bruising (I definitely do), but coupled with joint pain, it is worth a visit with your doctor.

Edited by WishMeSmaller

I agree. Call/email/message your doctor. She/he will likely want you to get lab work done before anything else. Have you had your Vitamin k and iron/ferritin/hemoglobin levels checked recently?

I had a lot of bruising too. I always bruised easily (I’m very fair so bruises were obvious) but I had a lot more. They also seemed to last a lot longer - sometimes weeks before they disappeared. I think some of it was from getting used to my new body shape & I was bumping into things like coffee tables & other furniture. Also less padding to protect my body from bumps. I was constantly kicking my toes against my kitchen cupboards until realised that my tummy used to hit the kitchen bench before my feet did so my tummy acted as a warning. Now my foot would hit the kick board before my tummy got to the bench. Crazy I know but true.

But yes get some lab work done in case you are lacking in something.

Joint pain can also occur from your changing body shape. Your changing weight distribution & weight loss may be putting stress on joints that are used to working at different angles to carry your weight before & are now straightening or changing for where you carry your weight now. Are you standing differently? Do you walk differently? Are you more active? I had upper back pain until I realised my bras were way too big & weren’t offering adequate support. Bought new underwear & no more back pain. I also noticed I was slouching because that was obviously how my body held itself when I was big - my weight was pulling me forward. I had to retrain my body to stand straight again.

Edited by Arabesque