Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

55 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

Here's a thread that helps to explain how to fill out your info!

Edited by Robz

54 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

Here's a thread that helps to explain how to fill out your info!

After reading, I learned that I had to fill out that info by using my iPad instead of my phone. Thanks

55 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

🤦‍♀️

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31279562/#:~:text=Background%3A The development of gastroesophageal,LSG is up to 35%.

35% is more than 1/3 of sleeve patients. That seems significant to me. And yes, it's not typical GERD.

Please stop being so condescending on these posts. I've noticed that even via text you are very condescending. The point of these threads is to be informative and supportive. It's not my surgery vs your surgery, etc. We're sharing information (often our personal experiences from years of living with weight loss surgery) to allow people to make informed decisions and to sit back and type, "GERD, yes, but to the point you mention, absolutely not. I would say it is extremely rare and the medical professionals I spoke to confirm that."

It is not rare. When patients experience post weight loss surgery GERD it is not typical. The strongest PPI's on a double dose doesn't touch it.

Me condescending? You commented that anyone who does not agree with you is "foolish and childish". I am certainly not being condescending. Also, what "texts" are you talking about? I never texted anyone on here. I am being VERY supportive, I just do not agree with you that people should not get the VSG based on possibly getting GERD. You keep quoting one study when there are many studies that may have different conclusions than this one. A scientific study can prove that for instance coffee causes cancel but then you read another that says coffee aids in cancer prevention. Which one to believe? Fact is we disagree on your fears in this situation. Does that make me foolish and childish because I do not agree with you. I am not being condescending....i at no point attacked or called you names. Can you say the same thing? look in the mirror please.

4 minutes ago, Robz said:

After reading, I learned that I had to fill out that info by using my iPad instead of my phone. Thanks

You're welcome! 😊

8 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Me condescending? You commented that anyone who does not agree with you is "foolish and childish". I am certainly not being condescending. Also, what "texts" are you talking about? I never texted anyone on here. I am being VERY supportive, I just do not agree with you that people should not get the VSG based on possibly getting GERD. You keep quoting one study when there are many studies that may have different conclusions than this one. A scientific study can prove that for instance coffee causes cancel but then you read another that says coffee aids in cancer prevention. Which one to believe? Fact is we disagree on your fears in this situation. Does that make me foolish and childish because I do not agree with you. I am not being condescending....i at no point attacked or called you names. Can you say the same thing? look in the mirror please.

This might be a strip question. But is VSG the same as gastric sleeve surgery?

5 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Okay first of all, I never commented that anyone who does not agree with me is, "foolish and childish."

My comment >>> And there's also other weight loss surgeries than the sleeve. Each surgery has it's own benefits and risks. It's best to get all of the information and read about personal outcomes to help decide which surgery is best for you or if surgery is even an option. But discounting real side effects/complications of wls is just foolish and chidlish.

I commented that discounting real side effects/complications of wls is just foolish and childish.

Secondly, "texts" as in typed comments on this site. Such as this the

ead when you were being patronizing.

Thirdly, I never once said anyone should NOT get VSG. Not once. Please show me where I typed that. I simply said... "Each surgery has its own benefits and risks. It's best to get all of the information and read about personal outcomes to help decide which surgery is best for you or if surgery is even an option."

I posted ONE study. It's food for thought for those considering any weight loss surgery. I don't "keep quoting one study" I posted one once.

You can't seem to make a viable rebuttal in this thread. You seem to be confusing me for saying things I didn't say and quoting studies that I didn't post. 🤦‍♀️

7 minutes ago, Robz said:

This might be a strip question. But is VSG the same as gastric sleeve surgery?

Yes it is. VSG = Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

4 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

Okay first of all, I never commented that anyone who does not agree with me is, "foolish and childish."

My comment >>> And there's also other weight loss surgeries than the sleeve. Each surgery has it's own benefits and risks. It's best to get all of the information and read about personal outcomes to help decide which surgery is best for you or if surgery is even an option. But discounting real side effects/complications of wls is just foolish and chidlish.

I commented that discounting real side effects/complications of wls is just foolish and childish.

Secondly, "texts" as in typed comments on this site. Such as this the

ead when you were being patronizing.

Thirdly, I never once said anyone should NOT get VSG. Not once. Please show me where I typed that. I simply said... "Each surgery has its own benefits and risks. It's best to get all of the information and read about personal outcomes to help decide which surgery is best for you or if surgery is even an option."

I posted ONE study. It's food for thought for those considering any weight loss surgery. I don't "keep quoting one study" I posted one once.

You can't seem to make a viable rebuttal in this thread. You seem to be confusing me for saying things I didn't say and quoting studies that I didn't post. 🤦‍♀️

Your foolish and childish statement was referring to your overall point and anyone who discounts them is foolish and childish. Not to sound condescending but it does not take an English Major to see that this is consistent with the statement I made about YOUR condescension.

You are referring to texts when you probably should say "posts" or "replies" or "quotes". I get it.

The "text" you refer to was not me being condescending at all, it was a simple question to the OP whether they were counting their calories and meeting their nutritional goals so some perspective on their situation can be gained. That is something I see hundreds of times to a poster who asks a question or reaches out for help.

I can go back and forth with this all day. You are obviously internalizing this particular issue for a real reason and maybe you can get some help for it on here or elsewhere. I would be happy to help talk you through it and maybe give you some advice.

Good luck

56 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

🤦‍♀️

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31279562/#:~:text=Background%3A The development of gastroesophageal,LSG is up to 35%.

35% is more than 1/3 of sleeve patients. That seems significant to me. And yes, it's not typical GERD.

Please stop being so condescending on these posts. I've noticed that even via text you are very condescending. The point of these threads is to be informative and supportive. It's not my surgery vs your surgery, etc. We're sharing information (often our personal experiences from years of living with weight loss surgery) to allow people to make informed decisions and to sit back and type, "GERD, yes, but to the point you mention, absolutely not. I would say it is extremely rare and the medical professionals I spoke to confirm that."

It is not rare. When patients experience post weight loss surgery GERD it is not typical. The strongest PPI's on a double dose doesn't touch it.

AMEN. And women get if at a far higher percentage - so 35% is a bit low for us ladies.

My biggest mistake was coming on here before surgery and only wanting to hear the success stories. I wish I would have asked - "are you currently on any reflux medications?" You'd be surprised by how many people are on high doses of PPI's and singing the surgery praises. I'm a 17 year vet, I know the truth, and I was a lucky one - I didn't have it so bad that I had to get a bypass.

These early praisers might not have experienced the PPI side effects yet. The Iron infusions, the emergency room visits for kidney stones, the energy crashes, the daily nausea, etc. You can't undo or fix or medicate this...I've been searching for years.

Listen - my sister is "fat" like I was. She didn't have the surgery. She is still fat, and is prediabetic...but her last 17 years have full and happy. She's enjoyed life, traveled, enjoyed her career, found and maintained a loving husband, enjoyed life with her children, etc. Here laugh is real, and deep ... I miss having that.

I couldn't play with my kids a lot - too tired. I couldn't enjoy eating with them - not really. I was in the emergency room this christmas with kidney stones - again. Several times in the ER when my iron plummeted and needed an infusion (I take all my Vitamins - doesn't matter). I vomited out the window on my husbands birthday because my PPI failed and I forgot my tums.

If I could trade my size 2 body for her size 24, I would in a heartbeat. I sometimes get someone saying "aren't you glad you got the surgery - you'd be like your sister if you didn't". They always get a shocking earful.

Now if you are unable to get out of bed, or walk, or function - get the surgery!!!! But be careful of the cheerleaders, especially those who are still trying to convince themselves that they "made the right choice". Many here are freshly out and still in the honeymoon stage. I remember that stage - lol.

9 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

Your foolish and childish statement was referring to your overall point and anyone who discounts them is foolish and childish. Not to sound condescending but it does not take an English Major to see that this is consistent with the statement I made about YOUR condescension.

You are referring to texts when you probably should say "posts" or "replies" or "quotes". I get it.

The "text" you refer to was not me being condescending at all, it was a simple question to the OP whether they were counting their calories and meeting their nutritional goals so some perspective on their situation can be gained. That is something I see hundreds of times to a poster who asks a question or reaches out for help.

I can go back and forth with this all day. You are obviously internalizing this particular issue for a real reason and maybe you can get some help for it on here or elsewhere. I would be happy to help talk you through it and maybe give you some advice.

Good luck

First of all it's, "You're" 🤦‍♀️

You just can't comprehend the English written word.

The sleeve surgery isn't personal to me. I was simply voicing that GERD is real and more severe than typical GERD a non-wls patient might experience. But you take this soooo personal. And I don't need help with anything. I've been a part of Bariatric Pal and a wls patient for nearly 10 years and have a lot of knowledge from reading over the years and nearly 10 years of personal experience. You're a few months into the journey and have a lot more to learn.

Moving on!

Moving on...

10 minutes ago, KateinMichigan said:

AMEN. And women get if at a far higher percentage - so 35% is a bit low for us ladies.

My biggest mistake was coming on here before surgery and only wanting to hear the success stories. I wish I would have asked - "are you currently on any reflux medications?" You'd be surprised by how many people are on high doses of PPI's and singing the surgery praises. I'm a 17 year vet, I know the truth, and I was a lucky one - I didn't have it so bad that I had to get a bypass.

These early praisers might not have experienced the PPI side effects yet. The Iron infusions, the emergency room visits for kidney stones, the energy crashes, the daily nausea, etc. You can't undo or fix or medicate this...I've been searching for years.

Listen - my sister is "fat" like I was. She didn't have the surgery. She is still fat, and is prediabetic...but her last 17 years have full and happy. She's enjoyed life, traveled, enjoyed her career, found and maintained a loving husband, enjoyed life with her children, etc. Here laugh is real, and deep ... I miss having that.

I couldn't play with my kids a lot - too tired. I couldn't enjoy eating with them - not really. I was in the emergency room this christmas with kidney stones - again. Several times in the ER when my Iron plummeted and needed an infusion (I take all my Vitamins - doesn't matter). I vomited out the window on my husbands birthday because my PPI failed and I forgot my tums.

If I could trade my size 2 body for her size 24, I would in a heartbeat. I sometimes get someone saying "aren't you glad you got the surgery - you'd be like your sister if you didn't". They always get a shocking earful.

Now if you are unable to get out of bed, or walk, or function - get the surgery!!!! But be careful of the cheerleaders, especially those who are still trying to convince themselves that they "made the right choice". Many here are freshly out and still in the honeymoon stage. I remember that stage - lol.

Well said! And 🤗

5 minutes ago, KateinMichigan said:

I couldn't play with my kids a lot - too tired. I couldn't enjoy eating with them - not really. I was in the emergency room this christmas with kidney stones - again. Several times in the ER when my Iron plummeted and needed an infusion (I take all my Vitamins - doesn't matter). I vomited out the window on my husbands birthday because my PPI failed and I forgot my tums.

Ok. Just asking a question here....... since your surgery was 17years ago. Is it possible they have Perfected this surgery since you had it done? I've really been studying this surgery. ( I'm one to ask tons of questions) the info I get they are perfecting this procedure

My surgeon told me about chances of acid reflux after surgery. He's been very up front about some complications.

19 minutes ago, Robz said:

Ok. Just asking a question here....... since your surgery was 17years ago. Is it possible they have Perfected this surgery since you had it done? I've really been studying this surgery. ( I'm one to ask tons of questions) the info I get they are perfecting this procedure

My surgeon told me about chances of acid reflux after surgery. He's been very up front about some complications.

The study of 40% of women having acid reflux after came out in 2022. (Google with "2022" and you'll find the cohort study). My surgeon was at the forefront of this surgery, and taught others how to do it...he wasn't a newbee - I chose the best - lol. A male friend of mine had it with him 18 years ago had no problems. Another male friend of mine who had it with him 10 years later is on the PPI train - go figure.

From what I see - nothing has really changed except they now "fix" the hernia you didn't know you had. This "fix" has a high failure rate - but probably buys the surgeon time. You won't have problems until a year or 2 down the line, and now you're someone else problem.

I'd really look into the mini sleeve. It leaves a lot more of the stomach, and the fundus...which in theory will prevent your new tube stomach from sliding up into your esophagus. They're doing it in Europe and Mexico with some success. Ask your surgeon if he'll consider it. Maybe a larger Bougie - done by some surgeons - not others. If your doctor does a "one size fits all" bougie selection - find someone else. Plus - if you do have GERD, you'll need the some fundus for GERD surgery - which you won't have with the traditional sleeve.

https://mexicobariatriccenter.com/services-list/mini-sleeve/

best of luck!

PS - you are brilliant for asking these questions.

Edited by KateinMichigan

19 minutes ago, KateinMichigan said:

The study of 40% of women having acid reflux after came out in 2022. (Google with "2022" and you'll find the cohort study). My surgeon was at the forefront of this surgery, and taught others how to do it...he wasn't a newbee - I chose the best - lol. A male friend of mine had it with him 18 years ago had no problems. Another male friend of mine who had it with him 10 years later is on the PPI train - go figure.

From what I see - nothing has really changed except they now "fix" the hernia you didn't know you had. This "fix" has a high failure rate - but probably buys the surgeon time. You won't have problems until a year or 2 down the line, and now you're someone else problem.

I'd really look into the mini sleeve. It leaves a lot more of the stomach, and the fundus...which in theory will prevent your new tube stomach from sliding up into your esophagus. They're doing it in Europe and Mexico with some success. Ask your surgeon if he'll consider it. Maybe a larger Bougie - done by some surgeons - not others. If your doctor does a "one size fits all" bougie selection - find someone else. Plus - if you do have GERD, you'll need the some fundus for GERD surgery - which you won't have with the traditional sleeve.

https://mexicobariatriccenter.com/services-list/mini-sleeve/

best of luck!

PS - you are brilliant for asking these questions.

I remember my surgeon saying. That if they get the stomach too small. That's what can cause a lot of the acid reflux. So I guess they are aware of what causes it now?? I don't get acid reflux a lot now. I know what can trigger it. coffee is a big trigger. And going several hours not eating will cause it to. ( I'm a hairstylist and I don't take breaks.) the triggers are something I can fix. coffee is something I don't have to have. So I've stopped drinking it. I'll have to start taking breaks to fix that. Ive already noticed that cutting coffee out has already stopped the little I would get.