Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

7 minutes ago, AFrijoles said:

I had this issue in September. My dietitian had my up my Protein and back off on exercise and just walk. I was super worried id get even deeper in my rut but nope, she was right. I’m not sure where you are at with your activity and Protein intake, but this was a good reset for me. All I was doing prior was riding my stationary bike and walking on my lunch breaks and regular house work and chasing kids. I upped to 75-80grams of protein. Don’t know if this will help but thought I’d share what helped me.

I'm seriously thinking of upping my protein again too. Especially since the surgeon recommended it for my Hair loss anyway when we spoke last week. Wonder if it will jump start things for me too like it did for you? My activity is what it's always been. Just walking. Months ago I started weights again but haven't stuck to it like I have just walking. So just walking is what I do and have been for months. At least 5 days a week. Gonna have to make a conscious effort on upping that protein. Thanks!

I've lost 95 lbs. I'm exercising and I feel good most days. I don't use oxygen anymore! I've had only 1 knee injection since before the surgery. No spine or shoulder injections,, which I had regularly. I do my walk everyday; even when it hurts and find that at the end of 45 minutes, I don't hurt anymore. I wish I'd done this years ago.

Hello May Surgery Brothers and Sisters, So I think I have officially failed at this :( all my life i have had problems over eating and not knowing how to control my self starting weight was 280, day before surgery 269 Surgery date was May 14th 2021. I maintain the diet and did what i was told up until Sept :( I went down to 206. Pretty Good right? BUT I am eating alot of junk food again since Sept, I actually have gained 5 lbs now. I wanted to ask do you guys think if I start my diet back up to how I was the first months I can fix this mess up? Or have i thrown away this whole surgery?

@Ale2010 Just go back to the basics. Focus on Protein first. You still have the tool.

49 minutes ago, Ale2010 said:

Hello May Surgery Brothers and Sisters, So I think I have officially failed at this :( all my life i have had problems over eating and not knowing how to control my self starting weight was 280, day before surgery 269 Surgery date was May 14th 2021. I maintain the diet and did what i was told up until Sept :( I went down to 206. Pretty Good right? BUT I am eating alot of junk food again since Sept, I actually have gained 5 lbs now. I wanted to ask do you guys think if I start my diet back up to how I was the first months I can fix this mess up? Or have i thrown away this whole surgery?

You can totally get back on track! You haven’t thrown away the whole surgery. The important part is you know what you need to change to get back on track. You can do it.

It is absolutely not too late. You just have to break up with your bad food choices. I recommend you make an appointment with a nutritionist and discuss where your weaknesses are and get her to help design an eating plan for you! You may also want to find a licensed therapist and work through some of those issues that are life long. We all have them and mental health has a huge part to play in this.

in the meantime, be kind to yourself and forgive yourself. This is not always easy and finding the balance between old and new is not easy to navigate alone. Find your support system and surround yourself with those who will help you! Wishing you luck! I feel you absolutely can turn this around!

Reach out to your medical team, you'll want to talk to your nutritionist and probably behavioral therapist. You haven't ruined anything yet but you'll want to break the bad habits now that you're recognizing them.

As far as diet goes, don't try to do a 'reset' and go back on only liquids or anything overly restrictive. Just get back to prioritizing Protein, limiting 'junk', staying hydrated. Try to work some more movement into your day. Be kind to yourself.

Im currently 8 lbs off of my goal, my weight seems to fluctuate 1-3 lbs which is frustrating but normal... Just can't focus on that too much.

Im excited to get into maintenance mode!

Checking in--happy 10 months to us! I'm down 113 pounds. My goal is to get down to 200, which is another 40 or so pounds. I've started feeling nervous lately because I can definitely eat more as of these last couple of months, but I know it's normal. Trying to move more (I HATE exercising) in small ways, and not slip into old habits with takeout, etc. How are you all doing?

22 hours ago, muala94 said:

Checking in--happy 10 months to us! I'm down 113 pounds. My goal is to get down to 200, which is another 40 or so pounds. I've started feeling nervous lately because I can definitely eat more as of these last couple of months, but I know it's normal. Trying to move more (I HATE exercising) in small ways, and not slip into old habits with takeout, etc. How are you all doing?

Awesome progress! Congrats to you!! So jealous!!! I have lost like 73. Slow going due to my long a** stall! But I'm working on it (along with the dietician). Trying to figure out why this stall is even happening and why so long. But still sticking to plan and doing well when it comes to my diet and exercise.

I was the last day of May, so I’m just over 9 months out. I’m down 74.4. Only 1.8 away from the elusive “healthy” BMI. I would probably already be there, but I was in Florida for 22 days - I didn’t gain, but only lost 0.4 during that time (which is actually a huge win - since 2 weeks of that trip was at WDW)

I’m down 110 lbs and feeling pretty good. Starting to notice some sagging skin in some areas 👎 and not sure what to do about that. I’m down to my initial goal weight and not sure what is next in terms of goals. I definitely gotten my appetite back over the past few months and feeling a bit nervous about that, but so far have been able to stay on track. Congrats to everyone for their amazing work!!!

I'm down about 80lbs. I've been stuck since the end of December though and I'd really like to lose another 20. Especially because I'd really like to try for another child in a few months so I'd like to get to my lowest before I risk gaining any with pregnancy. I finally made an appointment with my dietician for later this week so maybe he can help me get things moving again. I'm working on exercising more but with that comes an increased appetite so it's a hard balance.

Hello all- I'm well and still losing, albeit much more slowly. I'm down from a size 24 pant to a size 14, which is probably more exciting to me even than the scale. I'm so glad to see the success everyone has had!! Way to go. I can honestly say WLS was the most important decision I have made in my life, aside from deciding to have kids. I'll be 64 this summer and feel better than I have in decades. This past year, many of you offered support and advice and just reading your stories buoyed me when I was feeling discouraged. Thank you! Cheers to the next stage for us all.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:56 AM, Ale2010 said:

Yes, absolutely you can turn it around. I've had those (thankfully, short term) times too where carbs and sugar was all I wanted (and had)... your body is amazing, but do it NOW. Let us know how you are!