Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

2 hours ago, MistySkye said:

I’ll be 5 months post Surgery tomorrow. .8 shy of 60lbs lost…which when I first talked to my surgeon I said I’d be happy just losing 60lbs. I am comfortable in my body again, but the weight loss will continue. New goal - get to a “healthy” BMI.

I made it thru a 2 week vacation at Walt Disney World …where I didn’t lose, came home up a measly 0.6lbs. Lost 8.2 in the 3 weeks since I got home. So that’s a positive. The trip did not derail my progress.

I think these are the best wins; when we can go do "real life" and still remain aware and make good choices. Great weight loss and congratulations!

5 hours ago, pk88 said:

As we approach November and 6 months post-surgery, how is everyone doing? Thinking about you all and hope you're well.

I’m officially 80lbs down 6 months out. I feel pretty great. I wonder if I’m the only one who doesn’t feel like a smaller person yet even after all the weight loss. It’s been a strange but good experience.

So I'm down 69 lbs since surgery (may 19th), 87 lbs total since March 1st. Feel like things are slowing down for some reason. Could be lack of Protein and/or Water periodically. I try to be good every day and do what I need to but it doesn't always go as planned but at least I know the WHY when this happens. Just have to get better at doing the right thing. I am, however, still ahead of where my surgeon said I should be for this far in. He said at 9 months out I should weight between 217 & 245. So far my lowest has been 241. So yeah, ahead some so I think I'm doing ok.

I still walk every day but have been slacking in the lifting weights department. I really need to get my butt in gear again with that. Otherwise, all is well. Still no aversions to any foods I have tried. And no issues otherwise. I have my 6 month check up next month and another full blood work up so that will be interesting.

Oh, one last thing. I was put on metformin like 10 years ago to help with my insulin resistance and PCOS. My endocrinologist said that it would help greatly with keeping me regular when it came to my period. Something that was never regularly before that. And it did. Well, during my last doc appointment he halved my metformin and now it's been 44 days since I last had a period. It's really disappointing because I loved knowing when it was coming and it always did between day 28 and 33 and it would be gone in like 4 days. So, not sure if that too is having an affect on my slowed down weight loss either (hormones being out of whack?). Who knows. But that's really the only odd or off thing that has happened to me since surgery. Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

I had my surgery on 5/18. It's been an amazing journey. I'm down 105 pounds. A size XXL shirt to a medium/large. A size 40 waist to a 33/34. I'm off blood pressure meds and my C-pap machine is history. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would be in this position just 5.5 months post surgery.

Surgery was May 26th. Down 69 pounds and have lost 52 inches on my body. Down from a tight size 20 to a 14. I am walking/running and doing reformer Pilates for strength. I sometimes still wake up and am convinced I gained it all back overnight. I think it will be a while before my mind realizes this is permanent!!! Still not hungry and no cravings so sometimes it makes it hard for me to figure out what to eat. Thankful that I have had no negative side effects and that I am getting g healthier everyday!

I had my surgery on the 19th of May and have lost 69 pounds since then. With the exception of around 3 weeks when i did not lose weight at all, i am currently at a steady pace of around 2-3 pounds per week.
No major issues but i do feel acid in my throat in the mornings or evenings if i go to bed more than 4 hours after dinner. Anyone else get that?
Also, any pescaterians in here? I've been eating more fish than i would have ever wanted to and strugling to find vegeterian Protein sources that can pack a decent protein punch in the portion size that we have. I eat a lot of tofu and seitan. Any ideas what else i could add as a regular in my diet?

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm about 58lbs down since surgery and 80lbs overall since I started looking into WLS. I just crossed into Onederland yesterday and hopefully will stay there. I've recently been stalled for about 3 weeks which was incredibly frustrating but dropped yesterday and today so hopefully regular progress will be resuming again. I really need to get the gym more often and increase my exercise. The goal for success my dietician set was 180-200lbs so I'm technically within that but I would personally like to get down to 175 maybe even 150 if I can. I'm hoping to start trying to conceive this coming summer after I hit my 1 year mark and get cleared by the surgeon and I'd like to be as low as possible when that happens to avoid gaining too much back. Stalls are so hard on your head but I'm really hoping things move along again now.

Everyone would be 6 months out now :) I hit 6 months today, so close to the goal I originally told my surgeon I wanted to reach. Like 0.4 close. I'm going to keep going, next goal is to reach a "normal" BMI :)

I have only lost 40lbs. I try not to get discouraged, I go to the gym and to the park to work out. Then there’s others that say they never stepped a foot in the gym. I still have 42 pounds to lose to be at my goal weight. Hope everyone else is doing good.

52 minutes ago, MistySkye said:

Everyone would be 6 months out now :) I hit 6 months today, so close to the goal I originally told my surgeon I wanted to reach. Like 0.4 close. I'm going to keep going, next goal is to reach a "normal" BMI :)

That is awesome 😀 I’m down 90lbs and am also trying to get to a personal goal. I want to be out of the obese category and just be overweight. I’ve got about 25lbs to go. Who’d have thought things would be so different in 6 months? I hope everyone is doing well and celebrating all the milestones, big and small. They all matter.

You all are doing great!!! Congrats!! I'm still at my same 69 lb lost since surgery/87 lb since March. Haven't lost a thing since Oct 25th and no idea why. Total inches lost last month (Oct thru Nov) was only 1.75 too when previous months had been close to 10 inches or more. I usually measure on the 7th of each month but checked a few measurements last night and it looks like there won't be much loss this past month either. Don't know what's going on. Never had a stall last more than a few weeks. I tried shaking things up by eating things off plan/lil more calories/lil less too. NONE of it worked.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

4 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

You all are doing great!!! Congrats!! I'm still at my same 69 lb lost since surgery/87 lb since March. Haven't lost a thing since Oct 25th and no idea why. Total inches lost last month (Oct thru Nov) was only 1.75 too when previous months had been close to 10 inches or more. I usually measure on the 7th of each month but checked a few measurements last night and it looks like there won't be much loss this past month either. Don't know what's going on. Never had a stall last more than a few weeks. I tried shaking things up by eating things off plan/lil more calories/lil less too. NONE of it worked.

I think that's remarkable weight loss! A month-long stall is probably super discouraging. Are you exercising more, less or not at all? Too much salt in your diet? Thyroid meds (should you take them) off? Hang tough, sistah. Nearly 90 lbs less than March is incredible!!

4 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

I had this issue in September. My dietitian had my up my Protein and back off on exercise and just walk. I was super worried id get even deeper in my rut but nope, she was right. I’m not sure where you are at with your activity and protein intake, but this was a good reset for me. All I was doing prior was riding my stationary bike and walking on my lunch breaks and regular house work and chasing kids. I upped to 75-80grams of protein. Don’t know if this will help but thought I’d share what helped me.

So i feel like I have good news, and not so great. I'm a hair under 90 lbs since starting this process, meaning the pre-op diet, and I'm down 73 lbs since surgery on 5/12/21, all of which still stuns me. I am grateful beyond measure and trying to adjust to my jiggly, flappy body. When ordering clothes online, I wind up ordering 3 of the same item, all in different sizes.

I'm proud of the journey, and not so proud of some of the food choices I've been making, ie. skipping meals, lack of exercise and am sitting with the realization that the eating habits that got me to 277 lbs are still right.... there! Er, here!

So, here come the holidays, a trip to Hawaii after Christmas and life. I need a pep talk about how my body, my LIFE is important enough to eat healthy, whole, live foods and some serious encouragement throughout the winter (hibernation season in my neck of the woods). I also have an adult daughter who is overweight and has been gaining. We also work together..... it has been challenging.

LOVE hearing all your stories.

11 minutes ago, pk88 said:

I think that's remarkable weight loss! A month-long stall is probably super discouraging. Are you exercising more, less or not at all? Too much salt in your diet? Thyroid meds (should you take them) off? Hang tough, sistah. Nearly 90 lbs less than March is incredible!!

Thanks!!! It is discouraging. I have just been walking every day (well, at least 5 days a week). So that has not changed. Been doing that for months. Don't think it's too much salt. My diet has pretty much stayed the same. The only thing new that I eat on the regular now, and it's not much (volume wise), is stuff like quinoa, brown rice, etc. As per the instruction of my nutritionist. But I have been doing that for months now too. No thyroid meds. Never have.