Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

I think the heartburn feeling will go away

On 6/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, Beautifulhero said:

One month post op June 17th and down 30 pound. Was ashamed to say I was 300 pounds starting weight and now I'm 270 I don't feel like I look different but people say I look like I've lost weight.

20210623_144743.jpg

20210623_144821.jpg

You look awesome

3 minutes ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

To JDLane and Sheslittle, not sure how I missed it but, YES, straight from surgery I thought, oh no, I have THE worst heartburn ever. And even said to my husband that I worried I was gonna regret the surgery if this is what I would be left with. I even complained to the nurse and asked for something for it. She however gave me something for gas. Didn't seem to work. BUT, I did noticed that, once I got up and moving around, that feeling went away. I was so glad to find that it was NOT heartburn and just a side affect of the gas. It should go away soon, I would think. Mine was gone by the next day or maybe even late the day of surgery.

Thank you! Thats encouraging!

4 minutes ago, MistySkye said:

Give it a couple weeks @sheslittletex I know had all kinds of weird things going on that I couldn’t quite describe. I think it went back to being gas pain from the surgery or just general gas bubbles (Gas-X helped) I also had what I think were hunger pains. It’s all fine now.

My surgeon puts patients on a PPI for two months.

Thank you! We will wait it out a bit.

I hit 100g off Protein today 😯 Still under 800 calories.. I am usually around 80-90g. Guess I don’t need to have Protein Drink later 😂
dinner I managed to eat 3oz cod fish …and 3 whole nickel size slices of carrot. I was full!

3 days in, I’m enjoying this soft food stage. It is still weird how you can become full on so little.

I'm 5 weeks post-surgery, which was on 5/18. There sure are peaks and valleys associated with this journey. The highs are every Wednesday morning when I do my weekly weigh-in. So far I'm down over 40 pounds, which I'm very grateful for. I'm down over 50 pounds from my highest weight and am down two pants sizes already. Here are the lows I'm experiencing. I hope some of you who've maybe experienced the same can relate your stories as well. It's almost as if I'm "afraid to eat" right now. For Breakfast, I'm able to eat a few pieces of watermelon or about half to three-quarters of a scrambled egg. I've been trying to eat lunch every day, but sometimes I'm just too full from breakfast and the Water I've been drinking since after breakfast. My wife has been making dinner every evening and I've been trying to eat some of that (chicken dishes, a bit of Pasta to try, etc.) I get food jealous and food depressed is how I should describe it. Of course, I'd like to eat more, but it's just not feasible anymore. I guess I was just naive that I would get full so quickly. Has anyone dealt with a change of taste since their surgery? The stuff I used to drink like diet iced tea just doesn't taste the same anymore and I can't stand it. Honestly, the drinks that are going best for my stomach right now is water mixed with flavored crystal light and regular coke (I know, I know)... Also, a little bit of ice cream also helps settle my stomach.

Sorry for the ranting...I'm just kind of in a bad place right now. I love that I've lost so much weight in such a short time, but I'm really struggling with all of the food stuff. Sometimes I think I should've just stayed fat and enjoyed the food I eat, but then I also think of my 10-year-old daughter and how I need to be healthy and around for a long time for her and that certainly helps.

12 hours ago, Charlie C said:

I'm 5 weeks post-surgery, which was on 5/18. There sure are peaks and valleys associated with this journey. The highs are every Wednesday morning when I do my weekly weigh-in. So far I'm down over 40 pounds, which I'm very grateful for. I'm down over 50 pounds from my highest weight and am down two pants sizes already. Here are the lows I'm experiencing. I hope some of you who've maybe experienced the same can relate your stories as well. It's almost as if I'm "afraid to eat" right now. For Breakfast, I'm able to eat a few pieces of watermelon or about half to three-quarters of a scrambled egg. I've been trying to eat lunch every day, but sometimes I'm just too full from breakfast and the Water I've been drinking since after breakfast. My wife has been making dinner every evening and I've been trying to eat some of that (chicken dishes, a bit of Pasta to try, etc.) I get food jealous and food depressed is how I should describe it. Of course, I'd like to eat more, but it's just not feasible anymore. I guess I was just naive that I would get full so quickly. Has anyone dealt with a change of taste since their surgery? The stuff I used to drink like diet iced tea just doesn't taste the same anymore and I can't stand it. Honestly, the drinks that are going best for my stomach right now is Water mixed with flavored crystal light and regular coke (I know, I know)... Also, a little bit of ice cream also helps settle my stomach.

Sorry for the ranting...I'm just kind of in a bad place right now. I love that I've lost so much weight in such a short time, but I'm really struggling with all of the food stuff. Sometimes I think I should've just stayed fat and enjoyed the food I eat, but then I also think of my 10-year-old daughter and how I need to be healthy and around for a long time for her and that certainly helps.

I have had a change of taste as well and I also get down about it occasionally, but from the people I know who've had this surgery, I know in a year from now things will be vastly different than they are now. I was unaware of some of the changes and experiences I'd have post surgery, and maybe that was a blessing :) One of the great things about this forum is that I get to learn what others are experiencing and i don't feel so alone on my own journey. This time of weird tastes and restrictions and changing our relationship with food is preparing us for when our pouches stretch a bit and we are able to consume more food. That is when the rubber hits the road so to speak. I see this period of the journey as toddlerhood and I'm learning balance and feeding my body what it needs and not just what sounds/looks good.

It's great that you are able to think about your daughter and wanting to be healthy and a role model for her. If I don't focus on my BIG WHY when food doesn't taste good anymore, I get down too. Hang in there, friend. You are not alone in this.

15 minutes ago, pk88 said:

I have had a change of taste as well and I also get down about it occasionally, but from the people I know who've had this surgery, I know in a year from now things will be vastly different than they are now. I was unaware of some of the changes and experiences I'd have post surgery, and maybe that was a blessing :) One of the great things about this forum is that I get to learn what others are experiencing and i don't feel so alone on my own journey. This time of weird tastes and restrictions and changing our relationship with food is preparing us for when our pouches stretch a bit and we are able to consume more food. That is when the rubber hits the road so to speak. I see this period of the journey as toddlerhood and I'm learning balance and feeding my body what it needs and not just what sounds/looks good.

It's great that you are able to think about your daughter and wanting to be healthy and a role model for her. If I don't focus on my BIG WHY when food doesn't taste good anymore, I get down too. Hang in there, friend. You are not alone in this.

Change of taste also and I think you mourn food that is the only way I can describe it but you make the appropriate decision and keep going-in the morning I am still rely on my shakes then I can drink liquid till lunch and do better then and supper-my surgery was the day before yours and a revision-I just keep going and follow plan as much as you can

Hey All, I am 7-weeks post op. No complications, no issues, extreme energy.. the works. I hate that I waited so many years to finally have this procedure. One drawback for me has been that my taste buds are so different. NOTHING tastes good to me. NOTHING. I could no longer swallow the Protein Shakes so I began making my own from scratch. After only a few swallows my new stomach is full and I find myself rinsing the remainder down the sink. I have tried my favorite dishes and foods of the past but the textures and taste will keep me slim and trim for the remainder of my life. I look at it this way: I have consumed more than a small nation during my lifetime of eating! I will not miss anything at this point! I am happy and grateful and determined to have a healthy remainder of life. The best to all of you on this journey!

Please tell me there are others with no food issues, or am I the odd one out on that 😂 I have stuck to my programs plan, even following loosely their sample menu. I eat soft foods for B/L/D, my morning snack now is a soft food (cheese), my afternoon snack a Protein Shake. If I have hit over 90g Protein, I skip a shake in the evening. I have had no issues eating food. I think my tastes have changed a bit, but not dramatically. I have not ate anything off program. Pre-surgery I liked the Caramel Premier Protein, post-op, it’s too sweet. But I still love the chocolate. I aim for at least 5 cups of just Water. Trying to up that to 8.

36 minutes ago, MistySkye said:

Please tell me there are others with no food issues, or am I the odd one out on that 😂 I have stuck to my programs plan, even following loosely their sample menu. I eat soft foods for B/L/D, my morning snack now is a soft food (cheese), my afternoon snack a Protein Shake. If I have hit over 90g Protein, I skip a shake in the evening. I have had no issues eating food. I think my tastes have changed a bit, but not dramatically. I have not ate anything off program. Pre-surgery I liked the Caramel Premier Protein, post-op, it’s too sweet. But I still love the chocolate. I aim for at least 5 cups of just Water. Trying to up that to 8.

I am with you. I am 34 days post op. I can mostly eat what I want to eat and I don't have any issues with it. I dont dump. I dont get nauseated. My Water does have to be room temperature, but yet I can drink hot coffee and teas, or cold diet cranberry juice or diet tea. I have gone of plan because I don't really have a plan. I dont know what I can or can not have. I agree the Protein Drinks are very sweet. I can do fairlife strawberry banana. I add Protein Powder to liquid types of foods once a day. Such as applesauce, cream of wheat, or Soups. I am hungry a lot. I am limited on my intake due to Chronic Kidney disease so I am allowed 48 ounces of water and 43 grams of Protein. I do try to do 60 for my protein though anyway. I am down 20 pounds since surgery day. But the past two and a half weeks I am only down 2 pounds total. Hoping that picks back up soon.

Edited by Blani

I'm coming up on 8 weeks next Wednesday, so hard to believe! I'd say that weight loss has been slower than I'd like. I am averaging 2 - 3 pounds a week. But every week so far has been a loss, so I Celebrate that. I'm down 25 pounds since surgery, a total of 40 pounds with preop diet included.

I seem to be able to tolerate pretty much everything so far. Water and other fluids are going down well. Protein Shakes are better the last couple of weeks, they still taste super sweet, and not at all delicious, but I can get them down. I've started having small amounts of vegetables with my Proteins. Tonight I tried carrot and asparagus! My major stress is worrying each day if I'm eating too much, or not getting in Protein. I track on myfitnesspal and average 600 - 800 calories a day, my surgeon asked me to get in 800 -1000 and protein usually hits around 70 or 80.

Hey all! I was sleeved on 5/10 and feeling absolutely great. I have had no complications and can stomach just about everything I eat (on plan) at this point. Although, like others have recently mentioned, my tastes have changed and sometimes I get sad when I think about going the rest of my life not being able to gorge on food. The thought of a buffet gives me anxiety because really - what do you choose when you want to choose it all?! :D

Only discomfort I have started to get recently is the scar tissue under my skin where the incisions were. My doctor said to expect this because during surgery nerve-endings were cut and as they start to heal you can start to feel where the surgery happened. It's not painful at all. It just feels like a bruise when I press on it to clean in shower or something rubs up against it.

Anyone else have this now being that you are at least 4 weeks out from surgery?

Oh, and does anyone else think about the surgery and food and Protein and Water and what to have to eat that day like every waking moment? For me, it's obsessive. I have been losing on average half a pound a day so I sit there and calculate how many more days/months it will take to loose X amount of weight and I even factor in losing less a day as my BMI drops. Seriously, I feel crazy! haha

Hey! Sleeved 5/5; I am at 7 weeks. I have lost 22 pounds since. I have hit a plateau and have been stuck for about a week. I tore my deltoid at the gym 2 weeks ago; dr said no more workouts there until after MRI & shoulder surgeon consultation.

I am getting in an average of 600-900 calories a day. I think I probably need to increase to 1,000 to start losing again.

19 hours ago, SoulGardener said:

Hey! Sleeved 5/5; I am at 7 weeks. I have lost 22 pounds since. I have hit a plateau and have been stuck for about a week. I tore my deltoid at the gym 2 weeks ago; dr said no more workouts there until after MRI & shoulder surgeon consultation.

I am getting in an average of 600-900 calories a day. I think I probably need to increase to 1,000 to start losing again.

Hello! I'm a week behind you 5/12 and I was stalled for a week or so. Within the last like 2 days I dropped about 3lbs. I'm hoping that means the slow down is over and things continue to move this way. I'm down 27 total since surgery. My dietician and surgeon's office both said this was normal for this 4-6 week timeframe. So you may get back to normal soon even without changing anything! They also said even if scale pauses pay attention to your clothes, you may still be losing size without the scale reflecting it.