Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

10 minutes ago, BypassedSophie said:

I have always been allowed to use straws. They gave me a straw in the hospital! LOL! I don’t have any trouble with gas using a straw.

Thank god I'm going to try and I'll keep yall updated.

3 minutes ago, BypassedSophie said:

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am 5 weeks post op, and my best advice is to take it slow with your diet and follow your doctor’s progression plan. Also, I thought after 2 weeks, I would be fully recovered and able to workout and move on with my life, but that has not been the case for me. I went to the gym for the first time this morning and was only able to walk a mile and do a few reps of arm exercises with weights. I recently spoke with my doctor, and she said it could take 8 weeks to find your energy and strength again. I wish I had known that so I wouldn’t have felt like such a baby the past few weeks because I was so tired. Be gentle with yourself and take it easy to allow your body the chance to heal! I look forward to to hearing how you are doing in a few weeks!

Totally agree with the tiredness and resting. I am not one to nap but I feel like that's all I do off and on all day every day. I'm guessing it's the lack of energy (food). And also agree with taking time to heal. I was told I couldn't do weights or the gym til at least 4-6 weeks outs. Hell, they told me not to even lift anything more than 5-10lbs, no lifting, bending, reaching, not to even load or unload the dishwasher or do laundry. But I get it. Cause a few times I've done some of those things and right away feel that burning and tugging inside where the incisions are so YES, take it easy and take time to heal. DON'T RUSH THINGS!

Day 3 post op I think (day of doesn't count right?) Was nice to have a shower. My abdomen feels fine. Getting my Protein & Water in. Apple Sauce & Apple juice are the only other 2 things I have had. Last day of pain meds. Pain has been mild for the most part, most of the gas pain has dissipated.

Averaging around 6000 steps per day. While taking meds, I pace back and forth...to pace myself 😂 (stayed in hotel post surgery, fly home today)

Only thing my body doesn't like right now - is wearing a bra. Feels too constricting.

7 hours ago, Beautifulhero said:

Has anyone that has had surgery in may started using straws again I cant live without a straw and find it hard to get liquids down without one.

Plastic straws create back pressure on your pouch; dangerous. They are also devastating to sea creatures, especially the threatened sea turtles. They confuse them with food, swallow them, and the straw blocks their digestive tracts. They slowly starve to death.

3 minutes ago, SoulGardener said:

Plastic straws create back pressure on your pouch; dangerous. They are also devastating to sea creatures, especially the threatened sea turtles. They confuse them with food, swallow them, and the straw blocks their digestive tracts. They slowly starve to death.

Yes I agree. you guys have to be careful, on all my paperwork from my doctor it says NO STRAWS. At my one week visit they stress that if I want to know don’t hesitate to call their office. Be careful and take care of yourselves. Happy healings.

6 hours ago, IreneMod said:

Hi guys!!! I’m new to this.... i had my surgery done on friday may 28. How’s everyone recovering? Any tips are welcome!!

I had my surgery on the 28th as well. I am feeling better than I was expecting at this point. Issue i am having is some heartburn here and there even though I am on Protonix which I have been on for years. I walk twice a day for about 0.7 miles each walk. I am doing two Premier Protein shakes a day and break up a Greek yogurt as well. I add some skim milk to the yogurt as recommended by the doctor to make the consistency more like a liquid. I am ready for the puree stage where I feel like I can get more Protein and calories. Feel like it would help give me more energy.

7 hours ago, Beautifulhero said:

Thank god I'm going to try and I'll keep yall updated.

Best to follow your doctor’s advice, not a patient on this app. They told me use of straws can tear your staples and cause bleeding.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, SummerTimeGirl said:

I usually use Old El Paso but I have also had the ones from Aldi and really liked those too. Back before surgery I would make bean burritos, much like Taco Bell, using them. They were soooooooo good and taste just like theirs.

Are you getting the regular or fat free ones? Sorry, just curious because I may be starting my puree phase next week and getting a response from the Nutritionist takes a little and wanted to get some stuff this weekend

40 minutes ago, dwells6192 said:

I had my surgery on the 28th as well. I am feeling better than I was expecting at this point. Issue i am having is some heartburn here and there even though I am on Protonix which I have been on for years. I walk twice a day for about 0.7 miles each walk. I am doing two Premier Protein shakes a day and break up a Greek yogurt as well. I add some skim milk to the yogurt as recommended by the doctor to make the consistency more like a liquid. I am ready for the puree stage where I feel like I can get more Protein and calories. Feel like it would help give me more energy.

I had mine on the 28th as well! My nutritionist gave me pretty much same plan as you but I’m allowed low fat/sugar Soups 2-4oz for 1 meal which helps makes me think it at least some type of food 🤣. She suggested whisking in unflavored Protein Powder to help up the Protein count too! Just 1/2 scoop...not to make it to thick but if I can tolerate texture. Not bad!

06/03/2021 08:08 PM, SoulGardener said:

Best to follow your doctor’s advice, not a patient on this app. They told me use of straws can tear your staples and cause bleeding.

How? I’ve been doing spirometry for a week which is much more powerful than a straw. How does sipping through a straw tear a staple line? Air and pressure exists in your stomach naturally. Is there evidence of this or just programs cautioning patients against it in case they take in too much liquid?

Woke up hungry today 😜 Yesterday was a travel day for me, so hoping just an anomaly and I should have ate Protein when I got home home, as I just had some powder mixed with Water before my flight, which I now realize there was probably 16 hours between when I last ate and when I woke up hungry. So, today I focus on getting into a routine.

The hunger feeling is certainly different from before surgery. Need to get used to my bodies signal changes. Also first day with no meds.

14 hours ago, dwells6192 said:

Are you getting the regular or fat free ones? Sorry, just curious because I may be starting my puree phase next week and getting a response from the Nutritionist takes a little and wanted to get some stuff this weekend

Oh that's ok. I use the fat free ones.

1 hour ago, MistySkye said:

Woke up hungry today 😜 Yesterday was a travel day for me, so hoping just an anomaly and I should have ate Protein when I got home home, as I just had some powder mixed with Water before my flight, which I now realize there was probably 16 hours between when I last ate and when I woke up hungry. So, today I focus on getting into a routine.

The hunger feeling is certainly different from before surgery. Need to get used to my bodies signal changes. Also first day with no meds.

I am on the same page with you right now. I’m on the third week of Clear Liquids post-op and I’m feeling the desire to have something but I really can’t tell if I’m really hungry or not. I think that I’m just going through a stage where I know it has been five weeks without food and I’m surrounded by it at work at times. My surgery was May 18.