Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

34 minutes ago, MsKayla said:

I like the Campbell Soup liquid as well drink it daily. But I am confused with the cream of wheat. How do I eat it?

I make it per the instructions and then stir in a little Water. I don't do well with milk on a good day, even lactose free. It will taste better with the milk. I bought the individual packets, 1 oz. each.

Thank you all! Great suggestions! So cream of wheat with sugar free maple Syrup and brown sugar substitute I’m think I’m getting excited lol. Also will try the campbells!

i’m seeing that a lot of people have different nutrition plans mine is rather strict until the blended stage as well but I will see how I can maneuver!

also great work by all of you! I love reading all the success stories! it makes it feel worth it!

28 minutes ago, GummyBearQueen said:

My nutrition plan warns to stay away from broccoli, cauliflower, and other high Fiber veggies for now (I’m in the pureed phase).

Does it say why to stay away from Fiber or for how long. I am curious why because I was told to cut off the stocks of the broccoli and just eat the florets but In the very beginning of soft food I was eating two servings of veggies a day (mostly broccoli) and three servings of Protein because they said I needed MORE fiber in my diet.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, SummerTimeGirl said:

Hello and welcome! I'll have mine on May 19th. Tomorrow I attend my pre op class and also meet with my surgeon one last time so I guess I'll find out the deets to my pre surgery diet tomorrow. I know there is one, cause I saw it in the notes of the dietician, just not sure of the details.

There is another forum about May surgery dates too. You can check it out at:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/436606-may-surgery/?tab=comments#comment-4919284

That's the same day I had mine. :)

How is it going?

12 minutes ago, wendy100 said:

That's the same day I had mine. :)

How is it going?

No problems "eating" or drinking. Easily getting all my liquids in. Just sick of this liquid stage and ready to move to puree on Thursday (been hungry and tired from lack of nutrition...I do get my Protein in, however). Only semi bothersome thing is the one incision site area that still burns and has that pulling sensation inside when I mover certain ways. Still sleeping sitting up/semi sitting for that reason. You?

Drinking Water no problem in hospital. Trying to do an oz every 5 mins. Gas pain is a b***h. It’s my main source of pain. Currently going up both sides after a brief walk. I’ll be discharged in a couple hours.

On 05/31/2021 at 14:56, ShoppGirl said:

Does it say why to stay away from Fiber or for how long. I am curious why because I was told to cut off the stocks of the broccoli and just eat the florets but In the very beginning of soft food I was eating two servings of veggies a day (mostly broccoli) and three servings of Protein because they said I needed MORE fiber in my diet.

Nope, no additional guidance. I am drinking Meal Replacements so I’m sure I’m getting fiber but I’ve had no discomfort.

This is since Surgery, I had no pre-op that was required.

2 hours ago, smilelaura said:

Wow! That’s great! Is that with pre op or just since the 24th?

3 hours ago, SoulGardener said:

Awesome work! My progress has been slower—I am down 13 pounds since surgery, losing about 1/3 pound per day. I am a little older than most patients.

What are you eating, how much are you exercising, how much Water, etc. Share your plan; your program could help the rest of us! Please do tell us what you’re doing.

I might be older than you think.. I'll be 57 on June 12th.

As to what I am doing, drink, drink and drink some more. Get those fluids in and I am still on the low side myself at about 48 ounces of water/fluid a day, as they are most important even more so than Protein at this point. I only drink plain Water and Decaf tea. I eat, Cream of Wheat, tuna, greek yogurt, Jello, cream of chicken Soup, and chicken or beef broth and for a treat frozen pudding pops or outshine popcicles. I have one scoop of GENEPRO added to either my cream of wheat or cream of chicken soup. I am limited on my protein to 43 grams a day as I have Chronic Kidney Disease. I have not done much in exercise as its only been one week other than the walking. I do plan on incorporating more exercises even those that I can do with minimal jumping around like legs lifts and arm circles. Good Luck Every One.

Edited by Blani

4 hours ago, SoulGardener said:

May surgeries — How’s your progress?

Doing very well (did not expect this at all). Had surgery on 5/11, and I am down 18 lbs. I eat about 4 meals a day (2 oz each - I measure!!!) and mostly protein: fish is my favorite (cod, tuna, salmon, eel and in general any easy to bake / grill fillet). Green yogurt and Kefir (drinkable yogurt) have been very helpful to get my gut feeling well in the 2 week post-op diet. I walk or exercise about 30min-1 hour, about 2-3 miles a day.

For those sushi lovers out there, I had some sashimi yesterday and fish eggs (salmon and other), as they are approved/allowed by my dietician. They were amazing (basically pure Protein + some healthy fat).

An interesting side-effect for me is that now I just wake up at 5-6 am and I feel bored, so now I take the dog out for a morning walk. I used to have to sleep much longer (I guess the body was needing the time to process the food/calories intake).

This feels like the best thing I've done in my life and for my health! I do NOT feel hungry like I used to feel before and that is a sensation I cannot explain to others who've never felt that kind of gut-hunger every day in their lives. It is so freeing to feel so good and not feel like you're a slave to your biology and hunger.

Hope everyone else will get to feel GREAT SOON.

Has anyone noticed a change in their sense of smell after surgery? Is this psychosomatic? Lol

Seth here. I just had my VSG at UC Health's West Chester Hospital (University of Cincinnati). It was on the 28th. It went well, though the surgeon told me I had an odd shaped stomach. It went would more than a banana shape. He said it should make losing weight easier for me.

I was in some pain on the surgery day. They gave me pain meds just after the surgery and later that night. I did not ask for any the next day.

I got up and walked around the halls quite a bit. I also drank Water only. I was discharged after one night.

Currently, my incisions are still sore but I do not need any pain meds. Now I am just trying to figure out what my "Full" point is. I am so worried that I will bust my staples that I am probably being way too cautious.

Today, I've had about 350 calories and almost 33oz of water. I am setting an alarm every 3 hours to try and drink more slim fast advanced nutrition. I also set a timer after I drink the Protein Shake to make sure I do not drink for an hour afterward.

I am only drinking about 1/2 of the 11oz shakes over a 30 minute period.

My program only allows liquid for the first month. On 2nd month we can move to puree. The 3rd month we can eat soft foods and on month 4 we can go back to eating anything that fits into our routine.

I think this is the most restrictive after surgery out there.

Edited by SethSnap

Should I have lost more than 13 pounds in 27 days since surgery?

8 hours ago, SoulGardener said:

Should I have lost more than 13 pounds in 27 days since surgery?

Everyone is different but this sounds on track to me. Congrats!