Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

9 hours ago, amandamiller092217 said:

Hello I had the VSG on 5/18 I'm 4 days post-op, and am experiencing a lot of bloating. I am also having a lot of pain taking a deep breath on my left side in the rib cage area. I've taken gas X, it seems to help momentarily but then it's back to the same pain. Am I possibly drinking too much? Could it still just be gas trapped up under my ribs? Or should I call the doctor?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks ya'll!!!

I had my VSG surgery on 5/12, with similar post op symptoms. It felt like a jabbing in my left side near where my drain tube had been. I also had terrible shoulder pain when I breathed in or swallowed, and came to understand it was a result of the gas used during surgery. It can get trapped in the tissue and disrupt the nerve that runs up into the shoulder area. It has all subsided as I've continued to heal. Drink very slowly, but get plenty of Fluid. It took a week for the pains to subside and they are completely gone now that I'm 10-11 days out from surgery. If you are in a great deal of pain or it doesn't lessen in the next couple days, definitely call your doctor, but it does sound like your symptoms are common among VSG patients. It does get better!! Wishing you all the best.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:54 AM, BypassedSophie said:

Hey—I had my surgery May 3rd, too. I am a university professor, so I scheduled mine to coincide with when I am off contract, but I would not have wanted to go back to work this week. At my 2 week post-op appointment, my doctor was concerned with my fatigue and weakness. They sent me to get fluids and Vitamins yesterday at the hospital. i was so mad to be readmitted for the day, but honestly, I feel a thousand percent better. I have more energy and can tolerate pureed food now. I say take the whole month, but if you need a boost then talk to your doctor about fluids—it really gave me the boost I needed to just feel “normal” again!

I'm so glad you got rehydrated. I've been wondering if you're bouncing back! You sounded so miserable after surgery. It is amazing how much Fluid is necessary to prevent fatigue and weakness. Hoping you continue to feel better and better!

On 5/20/2021 at 11:16 PM, LuckyKelleyK said:

Hey everyone. So I had surgery yesterday and I’m home tonight. I’m having a problem with laying down, I end up having so much gas discomfort and nausea that I have to sit up to burp frequently. Anyone else having this issue? It’s really uncomfortable and I’m concerned. I hate nausea. I also took zofran a few hours ago, I just took Prevacid that they prescribed.

Yes, I can relate. I had to stay propped up, and felt like my belly was so full of air, it came up into my chest. The gas used during surgery was trapped and irritated a nerve that runs up into my shoulders, so when I breathed in I'd get pain at the tops of both shoulders. It started to dissipate after a few days and at 11 days post surgery, it is gone. I also had pretty bad edema, with both feet and ankles swelling a lot. I just had to recline a lot more, force myself to sip Water slowly, but it did take a week before things started to improve. Hang in there!

The gas pain is certainly the one thing I am not looking forward to ...I vividly remember it from when I got my gallbladder removed - and that was 21 years ago. It was in my left shoulder back then. In a way it is good going in knowing what that type of pain is like. Gallbladder was also laparoscopic. 7 more days! Booked a Covid test for Tuesday, as its a requirement, although I'm partially vaccinated, so least of my concerns.

21 hours ago, Stace_Designer said:

Hi!! I'm so glad I found you guys. Now I don't have to go on Facebook and find a group LOL

I had my ESG on May 11. I'm on day 11 and i've had to start soft foods because i was waking up in the middle of the night with such bad gas/hunger pains.

I know there are guidelines but I'm learning I have to listen to my body too. Stomach is no longer cramping unless i ingest too quickly which is my personal habit I need to break.

My biggest struggle? The mental stuff. My anxiety/depression has been triggered and my low energy due to low calorie eating has just been a recipe for a panicked feeling. I haven't felt like this in a while, and it was unexpected.

Is there anyone or anything that talks about your mental health and well being after ESG? I guess I didn't realize how much I used food for emotional stability.

Thanks for reading and I hope to help other people as well 😍

A friend of mine recommended a book to me when i was considering surgery and I'm glad i read it ahead of time. It is called The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, by Cynthia Alexander. She really stressed that the surgery is just a tool, but that the mental aspects of overeating, the depression/anxiety that underlies eating disorders doesn't go away. It is crucial to find other outlets for the needs that your overeating has met and it isn't easy. There are counselors who specialize in eating disorders and overeating or eating as a mood stabilizer is disordered eating. There are 12 step groups too, such as Overeaters Anonymous that can be helpful. I have a recommendation for a counselor in my area that I've hung on to for when I am "eating normally" again, because I know myself well enough to know that it would be easy to fall back into some of those same patterns a year or two from now. I may need that help, Bariatric surgery isn't a magic bullet. The hard work begins once we are healed. We then have to face ourselves without the crutch of food; we have to learn to see ourselves as whole without the trigger foods that got us into trouble in the first place. Many of us will need support with that. I admire you for being so honest and I hope you'll let us know how your'e doing.

Hello, everyone! I’m packing my overnight bag today. My surgery is in two days! Any suggestions? I have warm socks, an extra long phone charger, a book, a heating pad, three pairs of comfy bottoms, a sports bra, and easy shoes (and all standard toiletries). Anything else needed?

54 minutes ago, GummyBearQueen said:

Hello, everyone! I’m packing my overnight bag today. My surgery is in two days! Any suggestions? I have warm socks, an extra long phone charger, a book, a heating pad, three pairs of comfy bottoms, a sports bra, and easy shoes (and all standard toiletries). Anything else needed?

Biotene dry mouth spray...it helped a lot! And after surgery, get up and walk as much as you can. It helps the gas pain tremendously! Good Luck! 😊

Hey all I had my gastric bypass on May 19th and have been home since Thursday afternoon. I have really bad pain on my right side and even struggle getting up by myself. Do you think this is gas pain or should I be worried?

On 05/23/2021 at 12:39, Charlzette said:

My gastric sleeve is schedule for this upcoming Tuesday May 25th!!! I am soooooo nervous 😫

We’re surgery sisters! Let’s keep up with each other! You’re going to do fine…the life we’ve always dreamed of starts on Tuesday!

48 minutes ago, GummyBearQueen said:

We’re surgery sisters! Let’s keep up with each other! You’re going to do fine…the life we’ve always dreamed of starts on Tuesday!

Yeeeesssssssssss!!!!!! We should most definitely stay in touch. Did you have to do a 2 week liquid diet? I see some ppl pre op diet is different

Hi all! I just discovered this site and I’m glad I did! My sleeve surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday, May 26th. I have to start a liquid diet on Monday, but I’ve already been trying to focus mainly on liquids like my Protein Shakes and keeping myself hydrated.
I’m super nervous for surgery though... My anxiety has been pretty significant, and I’m hoping it won’t spike even more after surgery. 😩

I’ve gotten my chewable vitamins, some gas x, and liquid Tylenol just in case. Is there anything anyone recommends to have on hand? How did everyone prep for surgery?

6 minutes ago, Erngeyaglad said:

Hi all! I just discovered this site and I’m glad I did! My sleeve surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday, May 26th. I have to start a liquid diet on Monday, but I’ve already been trying to focus mainly on liquids like my Protein Shakes and keeping myself hydrated.
I’m super nervous for surgery though... My anxiety has been pretty significant, and I’m hoping it won’t spike even more after surgery. 😩

I’ve gotten my chewable vitamins, some gas x, and liquid Tylenol just in case. Is there anything anyone recommends to have on hand? How did everyone prep for surgery?

I had a longer prep as I needed to lower my BMI for a safer surgery but otherwise I did as you have. I bought Vitamins and stocked up on Protein Shakes ahead of time. I also bought some sugar free Jello and SF popsicles (Popsicle brand is the best), which tasted good after surgery. I craved something salty so I had chicken broth/bullion on hand (though too much salt contributes to edema and I may have overdone it at least one day). Having had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery five years ago I was relatively prepared for the tummy soreness, but honestly the pain isn't horrible after VSG and I got by with just Tylenol after I got home. I think anxiety is just a part of any surgery, but I think you're on the right track by being prepared. Make sure you have people lined up to vacuum and lift anything heavy for you for a while and plan to just take care of yourself for several days. I also listened to the meditations/visualizations provided by Kaiser Permanente for people having surgery and they were soothing https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/health-wellness/podcasts/conditions-diseases/surgery

Oh another thing I'd recommend is to do some journaling. There is a forum on this site called "What is your Why?" I loved digging into that and I found focusing on my Big Why would alleviate my fears or at least balance them out. I wrote about being healthy, fit, feeling in control of my eating. I'd write about the things I'll be doing this winter and next summer with my grandkids that I've avoided doing now.

And, in the next day or two, measure yourself everywhere from ankles to neck and record those measurements. I did, and I know there will be times in the near future when my weight loss plateaus. I will re-measure then and relish in the inches lost even if the scale doesn't budge.

Check in with us and let us know how you're doing. There is a wealth of knowledge in these forums and very soon you will be the one supporting someone who is just getting started. Your experience will serve as inspiration for others. I can't wait to hear all about your successes!!

On 05/23/2021 at 14:21, Charlzette said:

Yeeeesssssssssss!!!!!! We should most definitely stay in touch. Did you have to do a 2 week liquid diet? I see some ppl pre op diet is different

No liquid but a very controlled plan. Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch, two high Protein low sugar Snacks, and a lean protein/veggie dinner. I am on all liquids tomorrow though!

3 hours ago, mandya84 said:

Hey all I had my gastric bypass on May 19th and have been home since Thursday afternoon. I have really bad pain on my right side and even struggle getting up by myself. Do you think this is gas pain or should I be worried?

Pain is so relative, it is hard to know what your "really bad" pain is in relation to my own, but I think if you are worried you should call your surgeon.

I didn't have bypass so I can't speak to it specifically, but I did have pain in my side that was very sore for a week after surgery. I had trapped gas in areas of my belly that increased my pain. I still have tenderness at one of my laparoscopy sites, and I'd expect you are still experiencing a lot of that given your surgery was just a few days ago. I say let yourself rest and know your body is going through some trauma that is not going to last for very long. But always, always trust your own instincts and call your surgeon if you feel your pain is out of the ordinary. Be well friend!