Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

4 hours ago, Beautifulhero said:

Hey friends I'm new here. I'm from good old Virginia and had my gastric sleeve on May 17th I came home the same day, so I'm a few days post op. Not use to all of this yet and it's hard for me to get liquids down just wanted to see if everyone else we having similar symptoms. I've been having gas pains which I know are normal but occasionally I'll get like spasms on my left side while drink or even when I'm not that migrate to my chest that last for a minute. And it hurts when I take a deep breath not from breathing persay but like just my whole abdomen is so stinking sore didnt know if this was normal.

My surgery was the 18th and I'm experiencing everything you listed. In addition, I'm having pains across the top of my stomach every time I take a sip. I've tried hot, cold and room temp Water and room temp flavored water.

I took gas x for the first time today and... It helped. Some of the soreness and bloat is gone. Still burns the top of my new stomach when I take a sip.

Maybe I’m expecting too much too soon. Had my bypass surgery on 5/19. Weight myself this morning, 5/22 and only lost 0.8 pounds. Is this normal? Also, has anyone’s eyes gone “batty”? It’s like I can really focus on what I’m reading. I told my nurse at discharge but she didn’t seem concerned. Any help/comments/etc. is appreciated.

On 05/22/2021 at 11:14, Losing in in 2021 said:

Maybe I’m expecting too much too soon. Had my bypass surgery on 5/19. Weight myself this morning, 5/22 and only lost 0.8 pounds. Is this normal? Also, has anyone’s eyes gone “batty”? It’s like I can really focus on what I’m reading. I told my nurse at discharge but she didn’t seem concerned. Any help/comments/etc. is appreciated.

Give yourself a little time—you are still swollen from the surgery, and I am sure you are still holding gas. At my two week
Post-op—I lost 15 lbs from my surgery day—it will happen. I was brain foggy for a good 10 days. I still can’t read for long periods of time. (I am almost 3 weeks post-op). The 2nd week is better but not ideal—I didn’t feel “myself” until this past Tuesday. Hang in there—it will get better every day! 🥰

Hi!! I'm so glad I found you guys. Now I don't have to go on Facebook and find a group LOL

I had my ESG on May 11. I'm on day 11 and i've had to start soft foods because i was waking up in the middle of the night with such bad gas/hunger pains.

I know there are guidelines but I'm learning I have to listen to my body too. Stomach is no longer cramping unless i ingest too quickly which is my personal habit I need to break.

My biggest struggle? The mental stuff. My anxiety/depression has been triggered and my low energy due to low calorie eating has just been a recipe for a panicked feeling. I haven't felt like this in a while, and it was unexpected.

Is there anyone or anything that talks about your mental health and well being after ESG? I guess I didn't realize how much I used food for emotional stability.

Thanks for reading and I hope to help other people as well 😍

16 hours ago, A1220M said:

My surgery was the 18th and I'm experiencing everything you listed. In addition, I'm having pains across the top of my stomach every time I take a sip. I've tried hot, cold and room temp Water and room temp flavored water.

I took gas x for the first time today and... It helped. Some of the soreness and bloat is gone. Still burns the top of my new stomach when I take a sip.

Just chiming in to say that my surgery was on May 17, and I'm experiencing all of that too.

I'm taking an antacid that I got from the hospital, which works with varying results. I'm going to ask my doctor about this at my post-op visit, because I need to know if this is going to pass, or if this is evidence that I'm going to be part of the 30% with lifelong reflux issues.

I was given a prescription for an PPI medication and told I need to take it for two months post op - whether I have issues or not.

45 minutes ago, MistySkye said:

I was given a prescription for an PPI medication and told I need to take it for two months post op - whether I have issues or not.

Same!

55 minutes ago, MistySkye said:

Same here, and I think it’s helped me.

Day 2 home from surgery. Doing well I think. Gas pains/spasms can be painful when they come but for the most part I have minimal pain. Im getting all my fluids and Protein in. Took all my pills ok today. Im breaking my allowed food down into 2 ounce cups and eating with a baby spoon to avoid accidently eating too much at once. Im on a full liquid diet, yogurt, ricotta cheese, sf pudding, protein Soups (clear), sf ice pops, Protein Shakes. Compared to my pre op diet this is heaven lol

On 5/22/2021 at 12:47 AM, MistySkye said:

I got the call this morning, they got me in for May 31 :) I'm so happy, but now its like OMG I need to get prepared LOL I only need to do liquid diet for the 2 days before, and need to ween myself off coffee this week (thankfully, I only drink two cups/day, so I'll do one for a few days then stop)

I am exactly the same day as you AND I don't have to do the two weeks of the liquid diet, although I have been trying to be 'good' with my diet and limit the nasty carbs, like bread etc. I have been trying to wean off coffee too! As each day gets closer I am getting more and more anxious, not of the op itself, more so the whole journey afterwards and worrying that I'll be someone who it doesn't work for! I know this is negative self-talk but i can't help myself thinking this from time to time. Good luck with it all! We'll have to keep in touch.

Hello I had the VSG on 5/18 I'm 4 days post-op, and am experiencing a lot of bloating. I am also having a lot of pain taking a deep breath on my left side in the rib cage area. I've taken gas X, it seems to help momentarily but then it's back to the same pain. Am I possibly drinking too much? Could it still just be gas trapped up under my ribs? Or should I call the doctor?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks ya'll!!!

On 5/22/2021 at 9:14 AM, Losing in in 2021 said:

Those are all post op symptoms. I didn't weigh myself until I was over a week post op, when the bloating and edema had subsided. As to the inability to concentrate, that is also really common. Every system in the body takes a back seat to healing and your body is going through a significant change. Be sure you're getting adequate Fluid intake. Dehydration is a common cause of mental fatigue and concentration issues. Mostly though, be patient. Your body needs to adjust. Stay on your program and the weight will begin to slide off you. Best of luck.