Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

52 minutes ago, GummyBearQueen said:

Good luck tomorrow!

Thank you!!!!

13 hours ago, SAH_Dog_Mom said:

My surgery was May 10th. Gastric sleeve and hiatal hernia repair. I’m one week post op today. I’ve been able to drink 48oz of propel and at least an additional 50oz of Water. It’s been an absolute miserable chore, but I keep telling myself it’s better than ending up dehydrated and back in the hospital. Over the weekend I had a total of 3 SF popsicles and 9oz (4.5/day SF jello). Today I had horrible diarrhea, so I may just go back to Water, propel and chicken broth like I did the first five days. I’ve been very down. The soreness pain I felt getting up and sitting or laying down has significantly improved but internally I feel like my organs are churning all the time and my incisions will sting and hurt often. This has been far harder mentally and physically than any other surgery I’ve been through. I’ve had an appendectomy for acute appendicitis that burst on the operating table. I’ve had bunionectomy surgeries on both feet and multiple bone spurs removed from one foot. This is obviously a far more extensive surgery, but man, I keep having to fight off regret and depression. My weight right before surgery was 207 and today I’m 199. The loss feels great, but honestly, I’m so miserable right now that getting out of the 200s doesn’t even feel that joyful.

I am praying alongside you for a better tomorrow. So sorry for what you're going through but it will get better. The pain will subside and you will be super proud of how far you've come.

On 05/17/2021 at 21:16, JDLane said:

what does everyone’s post op diet look like? Mine is a super slow food progression. This first week is Clear Liquids plus Protein Shakes, then 2 weeks full liquid, 2 weeks purée, 2 weeks soft food then regular diet. I’m already anxious to get to purée just to change things up. broth is like the highlight of my day just because it’s savory. I know things vary a ton between surgeons, curious how everyone else is faring.

My surgery is June 1st. Starting my preop diet this morning: replace 2 meals a day with Protein Shakes, eating only one lean meal/day. The postop nutrition guidelines the Nutritionist gave me states: phase 1 - Clear Liquids for 3 days; phase 2 -high Protein full liquids for 2 weeks; phase 3 - soft foods for 1 month; finally phase 4- maintenance (regular) diet for “lifetime.”

On 5/16/2021 at 12:57 PM, SoulGardener said:

Can you do sugar free chewing gum?

I was told it was fine.

My surgery was rescheduled to June now, so I'll have to hop in on that thread. Thinking of my May 22 twins. Best of luck! 💞

Soooooooo it’s May 18 surgery day. I’m so nervous and can’t sleep. Pre op weight loss 28lb

It's our day!!! sleep was trash. I keep dreaming about surgery and food. Gatorade made my belly feel weird Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, A1220M said:

It's our day!!! sleep was trash. I keep dreaming about surgery and food. Gatorade made my belly feel weird Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Good Luck today!!

Good Luck Everyone on surgery today! Remember...get up and walk as soon as you can! It will help the gas pain!

On 5/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, SAH_Dog_Mom said:

My surgery was May 10th. Gastric sleeve and hiatal hernia repair. I’m one week post op today. I’ve been able to drink 48oz of propel and at least an additional 50oz of Water. It’s been an absolute miserable chore, but I keep telling myself it’s better than ending up dehydrated and back in the hospital. Over the weekend I had a total of 3 SF popsicles and 9oz (4.5/day SF jello). Today I had horrible diarrhea, so I may just go back to Water, propel and chicken broth like I did the first five days. I’ve been very down. The soreness pain I felt getting up and sitting or laying down has significantly improved but internally I feel like my organs are churning all the time and my incisions will sting and hurt often. This has been far harder mentally and physically than any other surgery I’ve been through. I’ve had an appendectomy for acute appendicitis that burst on the operating table. I’ve had bunionectomy surgeries on both feet and multiple bone spurs removed from one foot. This is obviously a far more extensive surgery, but man, I keep having to fight off regret and depression. My weight right before surgery was 207 and today I’m 199. The loss feels great, but honestly, I’m so miserable right now that getting out of the 200s doesn’t even feel that joyful.

I'm one week post-op, too, my RNY with hiatal hernia repair was May 11.

I must say that the first two days after surgery were some of the worst I've ever been through and I've had other surgeries as well, though this is my first abdominal surgery. I really hadn't expected it to be quite so painful and difficult. That said, every day since has seen major improvement. 🙂

I had horrible diarrhea on the day that I switched from clear to full liquids (day 4) so I went back to mostly clear and decided to take it slower.

Question for you... Are you drinking any clear Protein Drinks, if you're not doing the shakes? Propel may have electrolytes but it has NO Protein. The chicken broth you mention does have protein but it doesn't sound like you're taking in much, you want to reach at least 60g per day. I've been drinking protein water that I found at Costco: Protein20. Each bottle contains 20g protein. Their are other protein waters on the market, too.

Congrats on your 8 pounds lost since your day of surgery! I weighed in at 246 the morning of, and today I am 244. BUT, I know I gained at least six pounds at the hospital due to all the fluids they pumped into me so I'm telling myself not to be discouraged.

I hope it gets better for you quickly!

Edited by GingersnapMI

17 hours ago, Pumpkindarlin said:

That’s my day as well! Except I’m getting the actual gastric bypass. I’m pretty nervous are you? I haven’t lost much weight on the liquid diet yet. And I haven’t cheated, in fact I’ve done nothing but drink those shakes, 4 a day sometimes 5.

Awesome! I am not nervous but so ready to be on the other side. I am not sure if I have lost any weight but have been on the "full liquid" diet religiously for the past week. Tomorrow I will start the clear liquid so it will be a small adjustment. I have found the Premier Protein Water is a great clear source of Protein - I am not a huge fan of shakes. Do you have a brand of shakes/protein water that you like better than others? It is nice to connect with someone who will be tackling surgery the same day as I will!

Hello Guys and Gals, I had the VSG last Monday, May 10th, 2021 and my only regret is not having had the surgery so many years ago! I had a Lap Band done in April of 2010 which was a waste of time and energy. I had it removed during this sleeve gastrectomy as well as a hernia repair. There was so much scar tissue that the band actually broke in pieces as the surgeon was extracting it. There is a little piece left behind that will not cause me any problems. The EXTRAORDINARY result of this procedure is that I feel as if they injected me with a heavy dose of B-12 that will not quit! I am up and energetic and cannot get to sleep before midnight when my usual bedtime was at around 8pm! I don't know what to do with myself! I am up cleaning, reducing items that were just stored up in the house, EVERYTHING that I would normally just put off due to fatigue! I am so blessed!

14 hours ago, JDLane said:

what does everyone’s post op diet look like? Mine is a super slow food progression. This first week is Clear Liquids plus Protein Shakes, then 2 weeks full liquid, 2 weeks purée, 2 weeks soft food then regular diet. I’m already anxious to get to purée just to change things up. broth is like the highlight of my day just because it’s savory. I know things vary a ton between surgeons, curious how everyone else is faring.

My dietician went through a pretty thorough list of options with me. Here's a summary of my food progression. She also has a variety of recipes she's adapted for bariatric patients that I'm sure will come in handy.

Week 1- Liquids, to include 1 Liter of Water, 1 pedialyte, 1-2 Protein Shakes. Optional: broth, sugar-free popsicles (no pulp or fruit), tea, juice and sugar-free Jello

Week 2- Puree textures: Two Protein shakes per day, 1 Liter of water, Warm pureed Soups and vegetables (Not Hot) can have avocado, applesauce.... start taking bariatric Vitamins

Week 3- Soft textures, gradually introducing soft foods one at a time in very small amounts. (Non starchy vegetables, Proteins, fruits and healthy fats)

Week 4- Normal textures, small meals, chew chew chew. Lots of water in between meals.