Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this forum! My bypass surgery is scheduled for May 14th and I am both nervous and excited! I am starting to have doubts but it’s more about the apprehension of what could go wrong. I could use all the support I can get!!

1 minute ago, MJK37 said:

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this forum! My bypass surgery is scheduled for May 14th and I am both nervous and excited! I am starting to have doubts but it’s more about the apprehension of what could go wrong. I could use all the support I can get!!

Welcome!! I think the doubting is normal. I know for me it's been nothing but excitement for my surgery coming up on the 19th but about a week ago I started having my "what if" moments too. I just chalk it up to nerves. That and I have never had any type of surgery in my life, never been put under, etc. so I worry how I may react to it all. I'm sure we'll both be fine!!!

On 05/06/2021 at 10:55, newyorklady20 said:

@bypassedsophie I’m so sorry you had this experience, it sounds very similar to mine. I had a sleeve and the first 24 hours all I did was heave/vomit blood and bile. I was so nauseous. I couldn’t even carry on conversations with anyone. They told me it was most likely a reaction to the anesthesia and that it was ok for my stomach - I was so worried. The woman next to me had had her sleeve done by the same dr right after me and was fine - and here I was puking my brains out and peeing myself every time 😰But after that 24 hours it was like magic, and I only had minor incision pain. I haven’t had vomiting or nausea for any reason since (5 weeks.) I hope you are past it!

Thank you for your experience—-so many people had no problems that I felt like I was a baby! I am able to keep small sips down, but if I take a larger sip, it comes right back up! I think it will take a little time to get used to my tiny tummy! I am still sleeping quite a bit—which is weird because I was never a nap-taker! I also had the pee problem! 😂 The first few times I stood up, I peed myself—thank goodness that is over! I think I am through the worst of it. I am hoping by Saturday, I will feel well enough to go on a short walk outside!

14 minutes ago, MJK37 said:

10 minutes ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Welcome!! I think the doubting is normal. I know for me it's been nothing but excitement for my surgery coming up on the 19th but about a week ago I started having my "what if" moments too. I just chalk it up to nerves. That and I have never had any type of surgery in my life, never been put under, etc. so I worry how I may react to it all. I'm sure we'll both be fine!!!

This is what I’ve had to do in order to keep myself sane, I’m on day 3 of my liquid diet. Last night was super tough, I had horrible body aches and a lot of nausea. I’m having trouble remembering to drink enough Water because since the shakes aren’t great tasting, it takes me quite a while to finish each. Trying to stay busy is probably the only way to stay distracted. However everyone around me is having suck great food 😞 it’s so hard.

On 05/06/2021 at 11:17, HeatherZFeather said:

I had my gastric sleeve surgery 5 days ago on May 1st & I have to admit, it's been pretty challenging for me. I'm struggling with consuming just an ounce of liquid at a time because instinctively, I want to consume more but I can't without it hurting my stomach. Also, I'm feeling weak & can't exert much energy before I feel completely wiped out!
Look, I know I'm in a really weird transition phase right now; basically, I'm trying to learn how to consume liquid & food all over again, after 49 years of doing it a very different way and that causes me to feel overwhelmed (to say the least).
I'm sure most post op patients feel like this after having bariatric surgery... and that's why I'm writing this post.
I'm hoping, those of us here, can find ways to relate to one another and to encourage each other through all the new transitions we'll be faced with, along the way.
So here I am, a few days into my "new norm" and hoping I'll feel better & better, as each new day passes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hang in there—I am Day 4 of post-op, And I understand about drinking liquids and feeling wiped out. I make small promises to myself—“drink this bottle of Water (takes 3-4 hours) and then I can have a nap!” I honestly do NOT want to go back to the hospital for any reason so I keep sipping to stay hydrated. We’ve got this—and give yourself grace. If you need a nap, then take the nap—out bodies heal when we sleep. I will be thinking of you!

On 05/06/2021 at 14:29, Shannon In MN said:

Hi all!! Just found this group and definitely excited to have others be there on the journey with me. I had my surgery on Monday the 3rd and everything went great!! Im on Clear Liquids until the 10th and than 2 weeks of liquid diet after that.... than pureed diet than mashed diet and than food...lol.

Im starting to overthink stuff in my head and worried that my mental health is a little off.... I'm working off of less than 200 calories a day and I think its messing with me. Any tips or words of encouragement are much appreciate!!!

Im also super surprised that Im not hungry at all.

Hi Shannon, we had surgery on the same day. I have the same diet progression as you do. I was so nauseated for the first 3 days that I am now worried about moving through the diet—it is not comfortable at all to vomit with a nee tony tummy. I want to avoid it, so I am worried about avoiding food forever! I definitely think it messes with us mentally. 😉

As I’m in day 3 of pre-op diet now I’ve noticed a change in my bowel system. IT IS NOT THE SAME! I am the kind of person who is used to reliving about 3 times a day but in the past 2 days I have gone once and very little. It feels so weird.

1 hour ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Sheesh, the nurse just called to go over some things before surgery and dang, it sure seems like a LOT of stuff to remember. Stuff like stopping certain Vitamins and things the week before, not taking my meds the night before and morning of surgery, stop NSAIDS 7 days prior, fasting blood glucose/some other test/covid test on a certain day and NOT before or else I could be canceled, Clear Liquids ONLY (no red dye) the day before but only Water after midnight and no Water even prior to two hours before surgery, showering the night before and morning of surgery with that soap they give you and no deodorants and whatnot afterward, on and on and on. I hope I remember it all and don't mess up by taking something I shouldn't or eating/drinking something after a certain time frame. LOL

Good info to know! Sounds overwhelming.

11 minutes ago, BypassedSophie said:

Hi Shannon, we had surgery on the same day. I have the same diet progression as you do. I was so nauseated for the first 3 days that I am now worried about moving through the diet—it is not comfortable at all to vomit with a nee tony tummy. I want to avoid it, so I am worried about avoiding food forever! I definitely think it messes with us mentally. 😉

Hi Surgery twin!!! Thankfully nausea hasn't been an issue for me. My stomach is definitely sore but I've been making sure to take all the medications they suggested. The idea of food is definitely daunting

Also no bowel movement since Monday early morning - the nurse called today to check in on me and said its normal but to take some Miralax just to be safe. Im a little curious as to how I could have a BM with literally less than 150 calories daily....lol

But I know we got this!!!!

4 minutes ago, A1220M said:

Good info to know! Sounds overwhelming.

My calendar is filled with a ton of reminders to go off all month long. LOL

6 hours ago, A1220M said:

So glad to hear you're keeping liquids down now. What an experience! I would definitely be freaked out if I was vomiting blood, but glad to hear it was "normal".

Thank Goodness you are doing better! I can only imagine how scary it was. Sending positive vibes your way!

2 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Sheesh, the nurse just called to go over some things before surgery and dang, it sure seems like a LOT of stuff to remember. Stuff like stopping certain Vitamins and things the week before, not taking my meds the night before and morning of surgery, stop NSAIDS 7 days prior, fasting blood glucose/some other test/covid test on a certain day and NOT before or else I could be canceled, Clear Liquids ONLY (no red dye) the day before but only Water after midnight and no Water even prior to two hours before surgery, showering the night before and morning of surgery with that soap they give you and no deodorants and whatnot afterward, on and on and on. I hope I remember it all and don't mess up by taking something I shouldn't or eating/drinking something after a certain time frame. LOL

Funny, I just got off the same call with my doctors office and I am having the exact same thoughts. Wow its a lot to remember. I am hoping when the time comes I will just keep referring back to my notes and I will get it right. I was thinking I need a binder with tabs to keep track lol 😂.

15 minutes ago, Greendragonfly said:

Funny, I just got off the same call with my doctors office and I am having the exact same thoughts. Wow its a lot to remember. I am hoping when the time comes I will just keep referring back to my notes and I will get it right. I was thinking I need a binder with tabs to keep track lol 😂.

Yup, I have a binder too with all the paperwork from day one. LOL

23 hours ago, ChunkyCali said:

I did it! Surgery this morning. All went well. Not much pain right now but I do have iv meds. Done a couple of loops of the ward but need to do more. The pain I am feeling is definitely gas pain rather than my abdomen.

Awesome! So glad to hear everything went well.

11 hours ago, BypassedSophie said:

Hello Everyone, I am a little hesitant to write about my surgery because I absolutely do not want to scare anyone. My surgery was Monday, and my doctor had 2 surgeries Monday morning—a sleeve right before me and then my bypass. As far as the actual surgery, it went well. However, my recovery on Monday and Tuesday was really rough. I had severe nauseous—I was vomiting blood—all the surgeons said it was normal, but I kind of freaked out my husband and the nurses! They gave me 3 different anti-nausea meds before I was able to start drinking Water and ice chips. Pain wise was not too terrible—the gas pain is worse than the soreness from the surgical pain. I was not able to walk much on Monday because I was so nauseous and vomited every time I got out of bed. I only took pain meds on Monday evening. Once I was able to tolerate liquid and walk, I felt better—I was also able to tolerate Gas X. My husband brought me a HEATING PAD and it was a lifesaver. I strongly suggest packing one in your bag. I am home now—resting and sipping—no hunger, and I am still taking anti-nausea medicine. Oh and FYI—the other patient who had the sleeve before me—he had ZERO problems. He was up walking around and eating his hospital tray of liquids and went home the next morning. I think everyone has their own story and experience—my recovery was just a little rough because of the nausea and vomiting.

Oh boy, you've been through it haven't you? I hope you trend only upward and forward, Sophie. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you well.