Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

2 hours ago, ChunkyCali said:

I did it! Surgery this morning. All went well. Not much pain right now but I do have iv meds. Done a couple of loops of the ward but need to do more. The pain I am feeling is definitely gas pain rather than my abdomen.

Congratulations!! So happy to hear you are doing well.

Hello,

First time poster here, having surgery this Friday, May 7th, Gastric Bypass.

It's been a year since I started this journey and am so happy to finally be at the middle mark. With the pandemic, it is pretty exciting that I made it this far.

Below are my why's. I am so looking forward to being at a healthy weight for once in my adult life, and finally doing something just for myself. It has taken me a long time to finally prioritize myself at the top. Very happy I kept at it and didn't give up.

The pre-op diet has been tough. I've been challenged to eat and keep hydrated. In part for not wanting to gain any weight before surgery. Not a smart move as dehydration and low blood sugar has been my experience these last couple of days. I've been finding comfort and support through your posts, so thank you for that!

Waiting to bloom...

HW: 298
LW:236
CW: 256

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

10 minutes ago, Waiting2Bloom said:

First time poster here, having surgery this Friday, May 7th, Gastric Bypass.

Welcome! This forum is great, so much good info. Friday will be here before you know it! Best of luck and good wishes for your surgery.

9 minutes ago, ChunkyCali said:

Welcome! This forum is great, so much good info. Friday will be here before you know it! Best of luck and good wishes for your surgery.

Thank you ChunkyCali, I appreciate it.

2 more sleeps :)

Congratulations!!! So happy it went well and you are already up and about!

8 hours ago, N!KK! said:

Congratulations!! So happy to hear you are doing well.

Congrats and good to hear!

Hello hello my May peeps! My date is May 10th. Having a VSG in Mexico. I leave Saturday and will be in San Diego for a couple days. Seeing the sights, drinking Clear Liquids, planting my face against restaurant windows in Old Town. Good times!

Pre-op hasn't been terrible as I was able to have chicken and veggies and sugar free popsicles but someone kept adding a teaspoon of blue cheese crumbles into my salad that first week. I live alone so not sure how that happened. And within a few days I got addicted to Protein Café Latte shakes and had to watch my intake Why I can't do anything in moderation, I'll never know! It's like I need to be addicted to something. Wish it was exercise but whatever. ;)

I hope everyone with May surgeries and beyond are doing well and have a lifechanging experience!! I am so thankful to this forum!

:D

Hello Everyone, I am a little hesitant to write about my surgery because I absolutely do not want to scare anyone. My surgery was Monday, and my doctor had 2 surgeries Monday morning—a sleeve right before me and then my bypass. As far as the actual surgery, it went well. However, my recovery on Monday and Tuesday was really rough. I had severe nauseous—I was vomiting blood—all the surgeons said it was normal, but I kind of freaked out my husband and the nurses! They gave me 3 different anti-nausea meds before I was able to start drinking Water and ice chips. Pain wise was not too terrible—the gas pain is worse than the soreness from the surgical pain. I was not able to walk much on Monday because I was so nauseous and vomited every time I got out of bed. I only took pain meds on Monday evening. Once I was able to tolerate liquid and walk, I felt better—I was also able to tolerate Gas X. My husband brought me a HEATING PAD and it was a lifesaver. I strongly suggest packing one in your bag. I am home now—resting and sipping—no hunger, and I am still taking anti-nausea medicine. Oh and FYI—the other patient who had the sleeve before me—he had ZERO problems. He was up walking around and eating his hospital tray of liquids and went home the next morning. I think everyone has their own story and experience—my recovery was just a little rough because of the nausea and vomiting.

48 minutes ago, BypassedSophie said:

Hello Everyone, I am a little hesitant to write about my surgery because I absolutely do not want to scare anyone. My surgery was Monday, and my doctor had 2 surgeries Monday morning—a sleeve right before me and then my bypass. As far as the actual surgery, it went well. However, my recovery on Monday and Tuesday was really rough. I had severe nauseous—I was vomiting blood—all the surgeons said it was normal, but I kind of freaked out my husband and the nurses! They gave me 3 different anti-nausea meds before I was able to start drinking Water and ice chips. Pain wise was not too terrible—the gas pain is worse than the soreness from the surgical pain. I was not able to walk much on Monday because I was so nauseous and vomited every time I got out of bed. I only took pain meds on Monday evening. Once I was able to tolerate liquid and walk, I felt better—I was also able to tolerate Gas X. My husband brought me a HEATING PAD and it was a lifesaver. I strongly suggest packing one in your bag. I am home now—resting and sipping—no hunger, and I am still taking anti-nausea medicine. Oh and FYI—the other patient who had the sleeve before me—he had ZERO problems. He was up walking around and eating his hospital tray of liquids and went home the next morning. I think everyone has their own story and experience—my recovery was just a little rough because of the nausea and vomiting.

That sounds horrible. I hope you start feeling better soon. I’m on day 4 now and feeling sore, but ok. I feel like somehow I missed all the warnings about the stomach pain from the gas. It has been a lot harder to deal with than anything else. I think it is good to share our different experiences, great and not so great. It helps people prepare and know what to pack for the hospital, have at home, and just know that sometimes different things can come up. I wish you a speedy recovery

58 minutes ago, BypassedSophie said:

So glad to hear you're keeping liquids down now. What an experience! I would definitely be freaked out if I was vomiting blood, but glad to hear it was "normal".

@bypassedsophie I’m so sorry you had this experience, it sounds very similar to mine. I had a sleeve and the first 24 hours all I did was heave/vomit blood and bile. I was so nauseous. I couldn’t even carry on conversations with anyone. They told me it was most likely a reaction to the anesthesia and that it was ok for my stomach - I was so worried. The woman next to me had had her sleeve done by the same dr right after me and was fine - and here I was puking my brains out and peeing myself every time 😰But after that 24 hours it was like magic, and I only had minor incision pain. I haven’t had vomiting or nausea for any reason since (5 weeks.) I hope you are past it!

I had my gastric sleeve surgery 5 days ago on May 1st & I have to admit, it's been pretty challenging for me. I'm struggling with consuming just an ounce of liquid at a time because instinctively, I want to consume more but I can't without it hurting my stomach. Also, I'm feeling weak & can't exert much energy before I feel completely wiped out!
Look, I know I'm in a really weird transition phase right now; basically, I'm trying to learn how to consume liquid & food all over again, after 49 years of doing it a very different way and that causes me to feel overwhelmed (to say the least).
I'm sure most post op patients feel like this after having bariatric surgery... and that's why I'm writing this post.
I'm hoping, those of us here, can find ways to relate to one another and to encourage each other through all the new transitions we'll be faced with, along the way.
So here I am, a few days into my "new norm" and hoping I'll feel better & better, as each new day passes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi everyone! Haven't posted much here, but been reading everyones posts the past couple months. I had my last pre-op visit with my surgeon on Monday, and hoping all goes well with insurance, my surgery should be set for 5/26! I am so ready!

Also, thank you to everyone for sharing their stories/experiences! I feel truly inspired and know that i'm making the right decision for myself! Thankful to say the least...

Sheesh, the nurse just called to go over some things before surgery and dang, it sure seems like a LOT of stuff to remember. Stuff like stopping certain Vitamins and things the week before, not taking my meds the night before and morning of surgery, stop NSAIDS 7 days prior, fasting blood glucose/some other test/covid test on a certain day and NOT before or else I could be canceled, clear liquids ONLY (no red dye) the day before but only Water after midnight and no water even prior to two hours before surgery, showering the night before and morning of surgery with that soap they give you and no deodorants and whatnot afterward, on and on and on. I hope I remember it all and don't mess up by taking something I shouldn't or eating/drinking something after a certain time frame. LOL

Hi all!! Just found this group and definitely excited to have others be there on the journey with me. I had my surgery on Monday the 3rd and everything went great!! Im on clear liquids until the 10th and than 2 weeks of liquid diet after that.... than pureed diet than mashed diet and than food...lol.

Im starting to overthink stuff in my head and worried that my mental health is a little off.... I'm working off of less than 200 calories a day and I think its messing with me. Any tips or words of encouragement are much appreciate!!!

Im also super surprised that Im not hungry at all.