Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weirdest None-Scale-Victory - I'll go first

Did you know 10 000 was a marketing ploy? Yep the power of advertising. I was fascinated when I read a Japanese company developed a step counter around the time of the Tokyo Olympics in the 60s. The name of the step counter literally meant 10 000 steps & a marketing campaign was born. Scientific evidence has shown that 7000 steps provides as much benefit as 10 000.

Regardless, I guess it’s still a good motivator. Congrats on hitting your target.

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/where-did-10000-steps-come-from

Yesterday I went to a small conference. First off, I fit into some non-stretchy pants that looked amazing. My whole ensemble was from clothes I hadn't worn in a good dozen years, if not more. Even better, some of my former colleagues (from before surgery) were there. Only one knows about my surgery. The reactions were so encouraging! The last 7 lbs/2 months have been frustrating weight wise and every once in a while I get the whole "can anyone even tell" reaction, because it's hard to see the changes when you are looking at yourself every day, but yesterday was a huge reinforcement that it is noticeable to people who have known me well.

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Did you know 10 000 was a marketing ploy? Yep the power of advertising. I was fascinated when I read a Japanese company developed a step counter around the time of the Tokyo Olympics in the 60s. The name of the step counter literally meant 10 000 steps & a marketing campaign was born. Scientific evidence has shown that 7000 steps provides as much benefit as 10 000.

Regardless, I guess it’s still a good motivator. Congrats on hitting your target.

I've attempted to reply to this in so many ways but I'd be banned. Have the day you deserve.

This is weird but I've been celebrating some nvs's lately. I've been traveling a lot. So first now that I am looking less large, I feel like I can be more incognito at the airport/not take up a bunch of room/not be hot and sweaty/and just slip by the way I wanted to when I was 340 lbs. Also I fit on the planes better. Still not perfect but there's always room in the buckle and I can cross my legs allowing more space.

Another thing that I was pleasantly surprised by, I was hanging out with some friends. A new couple I had never met before came in while I was out of the room. I went in to introduce myself while my other friend left the room..I waved hi to them and they kind of ignored me..I thought hmmm that was awkward and a bit rude but maybe I didn't say hi loud enough. Fast forward and the couple stands up and I walk towards them and say, HI BTW My name is #####. And they both look at me and go OOOO SORRY I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE GIRL IN HERE BEFORE (the one that already introduced herself to them). This is weird but it was nice to hear because I've never been mistaken for her although people always think were related because were the same ethnicity but she's a lot smaller than me. In fact the last time her and I went on a trip ,some random passerby yelled out to us "look at the twins, one little, one big" which was embarrassing for me but I laughed it off..it's funny to go from that to people mistaking us for the same person. Relinquishes some of my dysmorphia.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

13 hours ago, Sunshine Princess said:

I hit 10k steps twice this week. I could not hit that twice a year before surgery.

Sneekers Badge Wohoo !!

I have an game app in my phone that also tracks my movements, there is a snail companion that I can get for my character for the 10,000 steps, but I have not registered it yet. I hope I can get it soon.

Just now, LaTiaV said:

Sneekers Badge Wohoo !!

I have an game app in my phone that also tracks my movements, there is a snail companion that I can get for my character for the 10,000 steps, but I have not registered it yet. I hope I can get it soon.

Oh what game???

I was so happy that I managed 10k steps twice this week.

I know this one is pretty common, but it's still so important to me. Left the hospital off of metformin and checked my blood sugar the next day - 90. 90! I haven't been under 100 in so long. Very excited for my future health.

1 hour ago, Sunshine Princess said:

Oh what game???

I was so happy that I managed 10k steps twice this week.

Hops, it has some nice graphics and can make the tracking fun.

6 hours ago, Sunshine Princess said:

I've attempted to reply to this in so many ways but I'd be banned. Have the day you deserve.

And yet you managed to reply in a way that has people responding in the same way they would have if you had used the words you wanted maybe it would have been best to say nothing at all 🤔🤫

9 hours ago, Sunshine Princess said:

I think you took Arabesque the wrong way. It didn't seem to me that she was trying to take away from your accomplishment (she actually said "congrats on hitting your target"). It looked like to me that she was just trying to provide some facts about the origin of the 10,000 steps that Fitbit has engrained in all of us. Getting in 10,000 two weeks after surgery is a GREAT accomplishment and that you did it twice in one week is even better! I am just shy of 3 mos and my goal is 8000 per day. Most days I get it but sometimes I don't. Good luck with your recovery!

28 minutes ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I think you took Arabesque the wrong way. It didn't seem to me that she was trying to take away from your accomplishment (she actually said "congrats on hitting your target"). It looked like to me that she was just trying to provide some facts about the origin of the 10,000 steps that Fitbit has engrained in all of us. Getting in 10,000 two weeks after surgery is a GREAT accomplishment and that you did it twice in one week is even better! I am just shy of 3 mos and my goal is 8000 per day. Most days I get it but sometimes I don't. Good luck with your recovery!

I second this. I have been on this site for almost 15 months now and I have NEVER heard anything but encouraging and very helpful advise from Arabesque. Congratulations on your NSV.

Edited by ShoppGirl

JFC. There’s no need to gang up on me. The entire tone of her post TO ME was incredibly smug and really unnecessary with the “i guess it’s a good motivator “ being the nail on the chalkboard.
But enjoy your journeys, ladies and gentlemen. I’ll look elsewhere for support.

7 minutes ago, Sunshine Princess said:

JFC. There’s no need to gang up on me. The entire tone of her post TO ME was incredibly smug and really unnecessary with the “i guess it’s a good motivator “ being the nail on the chalkboard.
But enjoy your journeys, ladies and gentlemen. I’ll look elsewhere for support.

I think that the whole issue may be that it is so difficult to interpret tone in a text message. I have found the people on this site to be so incredibly nice and helpful and I hope you will reconsider giving the benefit of the doubt and stick around so that you can see that for yourself.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:02 AM, Sunshine Princess said:

I hit 10k steps twice this week. I could not hit that twice a year before surgery.

image-0.0029802322387695312.jpg

Oh well done you! I cannot imagine how you've achieved that so close to your surgery. I am getting about 7k steps a day reliably 6 months out from mine and thinking that's fab (for me!) :93_punch:

Please can I also say that Arabesque has a world of experience to share and is one of my absolute favourite people here because she's soooo generous with that knowledge and experience. I don't read anything patronising in her post - it genuinely comes across as 'by the way - did you know that the 10k steps thing was just an arbitrary target dreamed up by...' Which is completely true. This is not to gang up or to try to ram my opinion down your throat - I think it's just one of the drawbacks to a board like this that it's sometimes hard to judge the tone, as others have said.

Edited by Spinoza

22 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I also recently read an article that stated doing 7000 steps a day has equal benefits as doing 10,000.