Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weirdest None-Scale-Victory - I'll go first

I can finally fit in the chair from ikea in my living room for the first time. I have always taken the couch and my husband sits In that chair or in the bar stool at the island. Small victories.

Although I've been sewing since I was in 8th grade, I signed up for a class at a local sewing shop. We are all making the same top. We are using a "multi-size" pattern. It was interesting hearing others discuss what size they needed to cut their pattern even if it was a large size because I know 3 years ago I never would of told anyone what size I was! This time I was the smallest person in the room and had no problem discussing my size! That was definitely a NSV for me!

I can workout without peeing myself [emoji15] I used to pee myself just going down stairs. I would have to run go pee before I went anywhere, run to the bathroom in the middle of grocery shopping because I had to pee. No longer an issue. I can even run 3 miles without having to pee! It's great.

But also, no more sleep apnea, I can wear SHOES that I haven't been able to wear in years (who knew we gained weight in our feet!?), my feet don't ache anymore, and I'm not ruled by food anymore.

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

I went to Lab Corp for a blood draw and I could finally sit in one of their waiting room chairs.

Pre-surgery, I had to stand up because I didn't fit in the chairs (I looked like a muffin trying to wedge itself into a thimble).

My husband and kids can close their arms around me, this is thenfirst time in my childrens lives they have ever been able to do that. I can run. I can cross my legs! I find myself doing this even in the car! 😂

My recently I bought 2 pairs of leggings at target from the womens department... NOT the plus size wall, the actual Womens section. Yes they are a 2x from the womens department But they arent a 2xl from the plus size section which is bigger. I felt so proud 👏 🥲 🥰.

I have a few NSV's to share!😁

Yesterday, I went to a restaurant that I went to before surgery. We sat outside in patio chairs, and I had no problem sitting in the chair, the arms of the chair were not cutting into the sides of my thighs. (I still don't trust those plastic white ones, though.)

Also, yesterday, a neighbor asked if I lost weight & said I looked great. It was surprising to hear from someone who doesn't know about my surgery. It was also the first time I heard anything from someone who didn't know.

Today, I tried on the bridesmaid dress I will be wearing for my brother's wedding in April. At the end of September, I ordered a size 16 even though I couldn't quite zip it, hoping that by April it would fit, or possibly need to be taken in. Well, it zipped with a little room!

Another NSV is my shirts are getting very baggy on me. I am trying to hold off on buying lots of clothes in between sizes, but every time I wear something lately, I feel like it may be the last time. (Although, I guess this isn't really a weird NSV🤷‍♀️)

BTW- I love reading everyone's NSV's and can relate to so many of them. It is so nice to hear about other's progress & really start seeing some of my own. 🤗

Edited by Candace76
Typo/addition

I can cross my legs with ease!!! phew!

Also, this weekend I flew in a very old WWII plane. Allegedly this was a 2 seater (open cockpit) but I had to sit sort of sideways to fit. 6 months ago, I would have been embarrassed that I had to squeeze thinking the reason would be because I was too big (and I prob wouldn't have fit) but, now I know I am healthy and was not embarrassed at all- just a little squished.

Other weird NSV: underwear is too big! to the point of unwearable. lol.

This is going to sound so weird...

...but I can tie my shoes in the centre now, by leaning over my leg and having one hand on each side of my leg. (You know, like normies tie shoes.)

Also, I was picking up an order at the same time as a bunch of people and I overheard one of the employees say to the other, "This one is for that guy." So I turned and the other employee said, "This one?" and the first employee said, "No, the big guy."

I have also noticed that I can reach down and pick up something that falls on the floor! Even in heels! I had fallen when I was large trying to pick something up in the middle of a parking lot and was unable to stand on my own. (So embarrassing!!) After that, I would NOT bend down to pick something up, unless there was something to hold on to and get up again. Now, terror does not strike my heart when I drop something and have to pick it up. Yay me!

And by the way, these non-scale victories are great! It's not ALL about the scale!

I know I just posted recently, but I had another NSV today!

I was at the gas station & didn't need to open my door to reach down to open the fuel door. I read this NSV on here from other posters before & remembered knowing exactly what they meant.

It is so nice to be noticing all these little things now.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:19 PM, HashiHope121 said:

Other weird NSV: underwear is too big! to the point of unwearable. lol.

I've been taking up the side seams of my underpants and bras so that I can continue to wear them for a while longer. New underwear is a big investment!

I got my pedicure and realized they could wrap the hot towel around each of my calves instead of having to drape multiple towels over both to try and cover them!

I was also able to wear my oldest daughter's sweater!

I was able to climb the ladder to help my husband hang Christmas lights on the house. I used to be more than 100 pounds over the weight limit for that ladder and now I'm 100 pounds UNDER. Also, I couldn't physically climb a ladder even if I wanted to because my stomach was so big it got in the way.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I retired from the Navy almost 19 years ago and yesterday I was able to fit into my Dress White and Dress Blue uniforms. A year ago I would not even been able to get them over my shoulders, never mind buttoned up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches