Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SO I’m about 6 almost 7 weeks post op and I really want a glass of red wine. Maybe like a Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon something dry, how bad would that be? Remember this is a judgement free zone! Lol 😝

Judgement free: You will be drinking wine.

How bad would it be? Does it matter?

Should you do it? Who cares!

Enjoy. Or, optionally, don't. If I were you, if I were to drink, I would choose to enjoy it. But I'm crazy that way.

Agreed! If it's going to make you feel "bad" or "guilty" don't do it! Personally, I would go for it...and see what happens!!

Yea true, I was basically wanting to know if anyone else had a small glass a month out of surgery. I haven’t had any complications and I don’t want to start now, I can wait lol. Thanks for the feedback!

So I’ve watched so many you tube videos and that was a question. The doctor mentioned that the tolerance is very low so maybe a sip or 2 will do LOL my craving is not alcohol but sodas which I hardly drank before surgery 🤷🏻‍♀️

12 hours ago, BeckyTx said:

So I’ve watched so many you tube videos and that was a question. The doctor mentioned that the tolerance is very low so maybe a sip or 2 will do LOL my craving is not alcohol but sodas which I hardly drank before surgery 🤷🏻‍♀️

You should forget sodas.

34 minutes ago, Tim C said:

You should forget sodas.

Which stinks for seltzer drinks too. I planned on returning to those as my go to WHEN and IF I decided to have a drink again once my surgery was done.

No judgement. I have craved worse than that, Believe me but I keep reminding myself of everything I have done to get to even get the surgery and everything I have gone through after already and it gives me the strength to just wait a little bit longer. Just think, it will taste that much better when you finally do have it.

I will be seeing my in-laws for a family party about 7-8 weeks and I plan on having a glass of wine bc none of them know I had surgery, and I don’t feel like fielding questions about whether or not I’m pregnant since I’m not drinking!!
I’ll probably pour a half glass a few days before at home and see how it goes, then have one glass with them and sip as I want or can. For many of us it’s something we enjoy and it has to be reintroduced at some point! Enjoy!

I mean, I'm gonna give you my take on this, and it's just my own personal philosophy. I follow my plan pretty much 99% of the time, but pretty much nothing is off limits. I make sure I get all my requirements, but then if I want a dessert or whatever, I do have it on occasion. Now I am 9 months out and am allowed alcohol at this point but have not had it, but I also have NASH so I'm afraid to.
I think if you never allow yourself to have anything it just sets you up to binge on it later but that's just my own personal opinion and what works for me. I do much better by allowing myself to have something. That does not work for everything.
I do not have sparkling Water, which is forbidden from my plan, even though it is my favorite thing, but that's a whole other story. After a year, it will be allowed though. Other than that, nothing is completely off limits.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I think it’s okay as long as it doesn’t lead to a binge, or throw you off your good, new habits.

I am going to be attending a family funeral next week and will be 4 weeks post-op. Just saw my surgeon and he said its not an issue if I have a glass of wine. I would agree that maybe test it out at home to see if you tolerate it before drinking in a social environment.

7 hours ago, Lorey_a said:

I am going to be attending a family funeral next week and will be 4 weeks post-op. Just saw my surgeon and he said its not an issue if I have a glass of wine. I would agree that maybe test it out at home to see if you tolerate it before drinking in a social environment.

Agreed

I didn't until I was months out mostly just out of fear of feeling terrible. I would suggest just taking a sip and see how you feel that day before trying a whole glass. Once you drink it it will be too late if it makes you sick.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:02 PM, Hopefulin2021 said:

Yea true, I was basically wanting to know if anyone else had a small glass a month out of surgery. I haven’t had any complications and I don’t want to start now, I can wait lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Yep about a month out of surgery I did have a glass of wine and it's starting to creep up a little. I've decided to give it a miss altogether, I need to let my body heal. I am four months post surgery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches