Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really struggling

Hello everyone,

I had my gastric sleeve 4/8 stayed in the hospital until 4/13. I couldn't keep anything down. No pain just at all. I'm home now and feel like I've made the worst mistake of my life. I can get some sips of Water down but, not alot. Today, I was finally was able to get my pills down for the first time and had 2x spoons of broth (the 1st food I've had since). I am so thirty but, I can only sip tiny amounts or else it all comes up. I knew going into this, that it wasn't going to be easy and the portions would be severely restricted. I just feel this is way more than I thought. I am so thirty all the time. I don't know how I'm going to get through this, it is completely overwhelming. I'm sure I sound like a giant baby but, is anyone else having or have had a similar experience? Everything I've read on here has been so positive, which I appreciate but, I can't relate at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

It was similar for me right after surgery. I was unable to eat or even drink Protein Shakes for the first couple of weeks. I lived on clear Protein Drinks during that time and I basically had to sip all day long to stay hydrated. I had to take tiny sips as well because anything more was very painful. You are still VERY early in recovery and that first week after surgery is tough. The good news is that as the swelling goes down and your tummy heals, you will be able to drink and eat (at least purees or shakes). Stay in touch with your surgeon's office and run by them anything that concerns you. But hang in there, it gets better (for me by week 3). Hugs. 🤗

I haven't had surgery yet but I'm heard a lot of people have "buyer's remorse" at the beginning of recovery, because it can be so miserable. I'm sorry you feel so lousy right now. I hope you have some junk TV to watch, or good podcasts or books or whatever you can to distract yourself, and I hope you feel better soon.

I can’t relate with your experience exactly but I can relate with being hungry and not being able to eat enough to fulfill that. It was head hunger. I have learned to differentiate now at five weeks and one tip is to turn OFF regular tv with all the food commercials and Watch on Demand or netflix Hopefully that helps some. And remember it will get a little better each day and worth it in the long run.

My surgeon said it is really common for people to question their decision for the first week or so after surgery because we've put our bodies through major trauma and the recovery can be extensive. I am just over 4 weeks out and it really does get better. I am still unable to drink Protein drinks (they make me sick) but I can take normal sized drinks of Water now.

Thank you! I guess I just need to be patient. It's hard! I can't wait to take a normal drink of water!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

How are you doing now?

Sent from my H8314 using BariatricPal mobile app